Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 extra 260 27% what engine

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 extra 260 27% what engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 09:58 AM
A.R.T.F.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 extra 260 27% what engine

i am thinking about getting one of these. what have you guys being using for power?

Thanks

Simon
Old 12-27-2005, 01:44 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar 9 extra 260 27% what engine

I think the popular engines are 40cc gas (ZDZ) or Moki 1.80 or 2.10.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:26 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Evolution45/MVVS 45 would work really well, light weight & tons of power[8D]
Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 AM
flaviosi

Hi!

Definitely a DA 50.

Greetings,

Flavio
Old 03-11-2008, 02:22 PM
bbagle1

Brillelli 46 gets my vote. About 6 ounces lighter than a DA RTF and all the power you will ever need on that plane.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Too small for a 50cc,it suffers quickly from added weight and reinforcements.If you want to fly low and slow 3D,stay very light.
Some even had good success with an OS 160 glow,thats about as light as she will get.
Many have a 50 in it and I have seen them fly well,but they are high wing loaded without doubt.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

I have the 27% Extra 260 with a DA 50 on the nose, and it does NOT suffer from high wing loading. It actually has very docile low speed handling, and lands very nice. Most of these "rumors" of poor performance on this airframe with a 50cc engine are coming from people who dont have a clue, because they've never flown it. This aircraft probably has the widest range of good engines around, since it will fly very nice with anything from an OS 1.60, to a Moki 2.10, Saito 2.20, right on up to the DA 50. As far as the airframe sufering from vibration... nonsense. It suffers no more problems than any other ARF airframe with a gasser on the nose. There's certain reinforcements that should be done on ALL of them, and ALL of them should be checked periodically for signs of damage.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
nitro wing

Show me the slow controlled Harrier rolls you can do with it?
I want to see the inverted Harrier to the deck,nice and floaty
How about a few nice passes in KE and high alpha,coasting by without having to bail out with a punch of power.
The 260 will do many tricks,some extra ones with power,and a few less when overloaded.
Show me a vid of good 3D with a 50 up front.I have never seen one or had any locals show me that it can with a 50.
I dont care for endless Hovers or screaming tumbles,who cares.
Precise low level flight is what would interest me and everyone else I am sure.This plane has been out for years.I havent seen anyone do magic with a 50cc.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
bbagle1

I reccomended the brillelli 46 but i have seen this plane fly very well with an OS 160. The builder is a guy at our field who is meticulous, he never misses anything on a build, and with a few lightening mods his 260 is under 13 pounds. The performance is very good.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Well, you obviously havent seen many guys fly IMAC sequences with a DA 50 powered 260 then, because there are, and have been PLENTY of them used in IMAC ever since the plane came out. I fly precision scale aerobatics with mine, and it will do anything from graceful to wild, and all in between, including low level stuff. If you've never personally flown one, dont sit there and tell me it CANT be done just because you've never seen it. I own one, I fly it every week, and I personally KNOW what it will do and what it wont. By the way, I'm not a big fan of endless hovers and all day tumbling either... BORING!!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:40 AM
nitro wing

I would agree that it will fly Imac and all aerobatics very well with a 50.
My point was that if he wanted to do close in post stall 3D,he should consider staying as light as possible and not go the 50cc.
I am a part time instructor at the field,you have no idea of the amount of sticktime I have on this 260 with various set ups.
My overall opinion is that it flies and presents itself like a 60 size Extra when the pounds start adding.
In my opinion,when heavier,it carves across the sky much too quickly,downlines are fast,aerobatics become rushed,and one finds themselves using alot of space for 4 point rolls etc.The 260 is nice,the motor is good,its just not the best combo for some fliers,thats all.Many have the 50cc and love it,the thread starter is asking for choices.Based on his preferences he can make the decision.
It needs a big glow or small powerful gasser,not the easiest call sometimes.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, old thread! I don't know if ARTF has even been around since 2006! [&:]
As said, this plane has been flown (and very well) with a wide range of engines, I don't think anyone would argue that the lighter engines would allow it to perform better at a wider range of speeds. It seems like a lot of people use DA 50's in everything these days, and granted, it is a great engine, but I still would put a lighter power plant on this particular airframe. Why add more weight when you can get all the performance this plane can use with a lighter engine?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 PM
3Dkunalud

question for you guys. I'm thinking of mounting a Evolution 45 GX2 to mine. The only problem i have never mounted a gasoline powered engine. So how is it done. I'm guessing you find the thrust lines on the engine and then line it up with the thrust lines on the firewall so that i lines up with the cowl also???
ALso, if this is the way it is done, where can i find the thrust lines on any Gas engine. I also have a funtana 125 that i hope to put a DLE 30 on.
By any chance, would the thrust line be indicated by the little lugs that stick out on the crankshaft?

I know for a fact though that the DA engine don't have those, but the 3W do. So for those that don't how do i proceed?

3DKunald
Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

checkout the new MT35...looks to be a solid motor for 27 percent..
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM
masonman

Fox 2.4 (40cc) great engine for this plane. Not the power of the DA ,but you have less than 1200 inch wing area. Ita a real good set up for the plane.......I love it. OH buy the aluminum gear hanger 9 offers. The carbon fiber suck.Came apart on my second weekend with the plane. 11 FLIGHTS
Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 AM
3Dkunalud

[quote]ORIGINAL: masonman

Fox 2.4 (40cc) great engine for this plane. Not the power of the DA ,but you have less than 1200 inch wing area. Ita a real good set up for the plane.......I love it. OH buy the aluminum gear hanger 9 offers. The carbon fiber suck.Came apart on my second weekend with the plane. 11 FLIGHTS

Masonman,

It depends on how hard you landed the airplane. I have seen people fly the Alitalia Cap 232 with teh Aluminum gear and nothing happened (the guy with it landed it gently every time). With 50cc and larger airplanes, you have to land them gently. Think of it this way, if you went ahead and bought the carbon gear, and still landed the airplane hard, it might break the gear area in teh fuselage.

The best way to assure a excellent landing is: once on final approach, hold up elevator until the airplane is slightly nose high (the same attitude it would be when it just sitting on the ground). Then, use the throttle to maintain your decent. Right before you touch down, blip the throttle just a bit so that you make a butter-smooth landing. Iguarantee that if anyone makes a landing like this, they won't have any problem with the landing gear breaking.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
masonman

Well 3D, It does not depend on how hard you land the airplane. If you land it at all its going to delaminate sometime soon. An sense you must not have this model I will go ahead an fill you in on something....It comes with carbon fiber gear legs, you buy the aluminum gear after the carbon fiber gear starts delaminating....... An if you take a real good look an the Hanger 9 27% Extra 260 you will see nowhere on the box or on the plane does it say.......... Trainer ......I won't be bliping anything. Need not give me a how to land speech. If I needed that I would still be flyin something that said ....TRAINER....
Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM
3Dkunalud

Mason,

Sorry if i got the landing gear thing mixed up.

Not to start an argument here, but carbon fiber gears, should last more than 11 flights. Delaminate or not. the last time i checked, carbon fiber is a whole lot stronger and lighter than aluminum. And, it does depend on how hard you land the airplane. If you landed the airplane as hard as you probably did when you landed for teh first time, with aluminum gears, it would be flattened; with carbon fiber gears, it will break the gear area. Not to be a smart alek, but i have seen people landing giant scale p-51 mustangs the same way they landed their 40 size mustang. The big mustang's gears got ripped out and destroyed once it hit the ground.

Maybe you got a defective gear? I don't know. But all i can say is that i have seen people flying a very similar plane. All original parts for more than a hundred flights (except pull-pull cables).

If you are claiming that carbon landing gears delaminate if you land, then it must be true that carbon fiber props delaminate just by being used. Last time i checked, that usually never happens.

All i'm trying to say is that the bigger they are, the less abuse they will take.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
masonman

Whatever man. Just read up on the build thread for the 27% 260 an you can figure it out yourself............You will see how everyone loved the C/F Gear for this plane...
Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM
flygilmore

ORIGINAL: Lowlevlflyer

I have the 27% Extra 260 with a DA 50 on the nose, and it does NOT suffer from high wing loading. It actually has very docile low speed handling, and lands very nice. Most of these ''rumors'' of poor performance on this airframe with a 50cc engine are coming from people who dont have a clue, because they've never flown it.

This plane will not "float" like "real" 50cc sized offerings. Have you ever flown an Extreme Flight 50cc plane? Now, that is light wing loading!!!!!!! There IS a [b]HUGE[/b] difference. If I were you, I would be looking for a true 50cc sized bird to spend my money on....do it up right the first time!