Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Cobra on the 600CF T-Rex

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Cobra on the 600CF T-Rex

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 PM
5150Cat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cobra on the 600CF T-Rex

Hi guys.
Just finally have decided to upgrade from my 450 T-Rex to the 600CF.

But the whole reason I've gotten into helicopters and r/c for that fact is for the scale stuff. I really really really want to do a AH-1W Super Cobra. But all I can find is a .60 size and not a .50 size. And from what I've been told(since I don't have it in my hands yet) the 600CF is more of a .50 size.

I'm all over the lipo's and am totally done with nitros so I'm hoping that free's up some room and options for fuselages.

Can you guys give me some insight? Some places to check for Cobra fuselages? All I can find is Hirobo and Century.....which both rock. Just don't want to spend $500 on a fuselage and then have to hack it all to pieces to make it fit! Would be nice to find one that would fit right from the start.

Thanks for the input!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 PM
[]TEX[]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cobra on the 600CF T-Rex

Hirobo and Century make the Cobra fuse and the 600 is a 50 size heli.

Also, those two Cobras are meant to mount on the company's corresponding airframes so you'd be looking at some custom work to get them fitted.

If you wait long enough, Align should come out with some fuselages, they already have them for the 450.

You can look here:

http://www.rchover.com/fuselages_canopies
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
5150Cat

I've seen those and believe me I'm holding my breath hoping Align makes a Cobra. I do have Darthdrk's Cobra for my 450 and it rocks.

The one thing I would like in stepping up to a bigger heli is the options of working with fiberglass vs the small lightweight styrene. It's just not sturdy enough or I'm to much of a clutz.....one of the two! )

And for mounting I don't have any issues making that work. I'm all over modifying stuff. But when it comes to hacking off the tail boom and actually changing the shape and design of the heli is where I'm a little iffy.

Either way though if I have to do it I just might. We'll see what comes up in the next few months!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 AM
wilerbee2

Or you can sell your Trex and buy the Hirobo kit and then convert it to electric. I have done it with both my AH-1W and AH-!S. You can see the AH-!W fly on youtube under wilerbee. In my opinion, you'll end up saving time and money in the end.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 AM
5150Cat

Wilberbee2
That's not a bad idea at all. For some reason I never thought of that and I'm not sure why? The only difference is the 600 is a .50 and the Hirobo is a .60 right? Wouldn't think it would be that hard to convert.

Have you got any pictures of your converted over? And how many of the parts were custom versus being able to find adapters and such?

Might have to look this direction. Sounds like it would be cheaper and easier in the long run.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 PM
5150Cat

Well I've looked into a couple of things. Approach Engineering was just bought out and they are working on a kit balsa kit Cobra for the .50 helis that is looking very promising. The only problem is that it's the AH-1F and not the AH-1W. No big deal and I guess I could work on doing some conversion to make the F turning it into the W. So far that's my best option that I can see.

I'll attach a pic and here's the build link:
http://www.approachengineering.com/products/AP102.php

I like the idea about converting a Hirobo to electric but holy crap at 2k for the heli I can get the 600CF loaded for 6 bills. Plus after spending the 2k on heli I'd could easily see another 500 on ESC and motor. So cost wise I think it's much cheaper to try to stick with the .50 series and build a body. Not time wise, but money wise.

Still in the air and looking for input though. Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56140.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	901472  
Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 PM
wilerbee2

If you are willing to spend the time why not follow the Approach engineering concept and design your own AH-1W ? With the modifications involved you are better off starting from scratch ! Sorry didn't realize the Hirobo snake is so expensive over there.
I use a Castle creations HV-85a ESC and Kontronik Tango 45-06 motor. You don't need to spend money on buying conversion kit, it's included in the kit !! (if you know where to look !)