Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

AquaCraft Rio 51 Anyone?

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

AquaCraft Rio 51 Anyone?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft Rio 51 Anyone?

Add that to my fusterations with this Fugi...looks like even if this thing didn't crack, wouldent last long anyway. This is my 5'th gasoline engine, first marine, but I've always used the same rich mixtures for all my "fleet" of 50cc to 100cc engines for years.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Believe It
Banned

what exact mixture is that.... i dont know what "35 to 32 percent" is. how many ounces of oil per gallon are you running?

If you stick your finger through the port and rub the piston, is there a film of oil on it?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: Believe It

what exact mixture is that.... i dont know what "35 to 32 percent" is. how many ounces of oil per gallon are you running?

If you stick your finger through the port and rub the piston, is there a film of oil on it?
about 4.5 oz per gallon., and yes, I can wipe oil off the piston. Notice the Q-tip mark on the side of the piston...the streaks practically wiped away.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84141.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	902409  
Old 03-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Believe It
Banned

wow only 4oz... thats pretty low.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Dreamin Hemi

wow only 4oz... thats pretty low.
Low? how so? At 4oz/gallon puts me at 32:1 which is what the manufactuer of Fugi recommends. I said I added 4.5 oz...actually a little more, so at 4.5oz/gallon puts me in the neighborhood of 28:1 which is a heavy mixture according to Fugi.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Believe It
Banned

These arent weedeaters we are using the motors in. Marine motors are constantly having a heavy load put on them. I dont go by what the manufacture says to run in the motor.... i go by what has been proven to work. But hey do as you please... by all means, Fuji certainly seems to know what they are doing, their casting qaulity proves it
Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Grimracer

Allot of this has to do with the oil you are using..

Klotz oil, or any good 2 cycle oil at 32:1 is a good mix for that motor.

I know you guys will think what you want and sure some of you have lots of time on gas boats as well...truth is there is no substitute for experience…. but I bet those that do not recommend 32:1 have not used 32:1 to the extent we/I have.

Having said that I would not mix it any leaner.

IF.. You feel you want more oil then by all means mix her thick.. No damage done. Just keep an eye on that plug.

NOW.. Because you don’t know all the development details.. and im not going to get into the boring details.. Fuji recommended a MUCH MUCH thinner mix then that.. After testing was done…. We found 32:1 to be the best overall mix for that motor. When all was said and done..I wrote it up as 32:1…

On to the next………..

Grim
Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Believe It
Banned

Gordon Jennings said it best....

"Less, in the context of premix lubrication, isn't more; it's less, just as logic always insisted"

keep on keepin on... ill stick with 8-10oz in any motor that goes in my boats.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Thanks Grim for clarifying that for me. I know I'm running a quality oil, and it is "thicker" than what you recommended. Plugs are cheap, engines no.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

keep on keepin on... ill stick with 8-10oz in any motor that goes in my boats.
Ditto !!

I cant afford to run less than 8oz and have never fouled a plug.

But then again - that has been with every motor other than the Fuji

Researching the new CMB35's I have and they are recommending 5oz of Synthetic/castor. Might make a separate tank for the CMBs and Fujis
Old 03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Believe It
Banned

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com...oilpremix6.pdf

Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Good article
Old 03-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Jager 247

ok Dreamin i am a few days behind you on my boat process. AQ really needs to look at Fugi and try to fix this problem quick, I did call HS today and they said send the motor in and we will make it right, Now if they send me another fuji that wont last 6 tanks i am going to be pissed off. When i was going through my box that the boat came in I found self addressed labels for returns, now i see why they put those in there, i guess i will request some more labels. i spoke with Donna this time and she said to send it in with a brief statement as to how it happened, let's see boat was running on water boat stopped running on water and this is why. think that will work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15930.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	902799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86427.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	902800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54612.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	902801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Si70960.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	902802  
Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Dreamin Hemi

lol, well, I don't mean to laugh....I knew it woulden't take long for you to catch up! Now seriously, are you sure you didn't intentionally break cause' you were feeling left out??? Sucks a bunch, dosen't it? Trust me, I just got mad all over again as soon as I saw your pictures.
Yeah dude, these Fugi's have to go, this is absolutely redicilous.

-S
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Look at this bright side, looks like your repaired header weld held up.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: Jager 247
When i was going through my box that the boat came in I found self addressed labels for returns, now i see why they put those in there, i guess i will request some more labels. i spoke with Donna this time and she said to send it in with a brief statement as to how it happened, let's see boat was running on water boat stopped running on water and this is why. think that will work.
You guys sound pretty down on a company who is ready and willing to work with you. Promise you if you purchased a RTR from anyone else you would not be seeing such sympathy. I think that a little consideration for their efforts and consideration might not be a bad thing.

Admittedly the failures are unfortunate. I have a pair of Rios and I have to say I am still very much unconcerned at seeing the failures you have. I still believe there is a lack of give at the header and do plan on modifying mine prior to running.

I plan on keeping my Fujis and stock exhaust for a bunch of runs (at least until I get the incling for a little more pace)

I also plan on contacting the manufacturer before feeling obligated to share my woes with the world (should I see any).

Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Slow Motion

And Will, we " lesser experienced " modellers will NEVER convince anyone that their boat motors will run stronger and far longer with 8 oz./gal. I mean how many pro eng. builders, and very successful club racers, do we know that run both modded and stock Zens and CYs @ 8 to 10 oz./gal., when even Zen themselves don't suggest it. I mean, let's face it, they're all doing it wrong.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Dreamin Hemi

I have no concerns at all myself, obviously Jager hasen't any either if HS said to send it back to them and they'll make it right. It's well too obvious here that AC is more than backing their boats up. By not questioning and simply saying to send these engines for replacements? Come on, who could possibly complain about that? Hats off to AquaCraft I say, and thank you for helping ease the fusteration of this unfortunate occurance. If they say their working on a fix, than I believe they are working on a fix. Trust me, I'm patient.

-Scott
Old 03-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: Jager 247
When i was going through my box that the boat came in I found self addressed labels for returns, now i see why they put those in there, i guess i will request some more labels. i spoke with Donna this time and she said to send it in with a brief statement as to how it happened, let's see boat was running on water boat stopped running on water and this is why. think that will work.
You guys sound pretty down on a company who is ready and willing to work with you. Promise you if you purchased a RTR from anyone else you would not be seeing such sympathy. I think that a little consideration for their efforts and consideration might not be a bad thing.

Admittedly the failures are unfortunate. I have a pair of Rios and I have to say I am still very much unconcerned at seeing the failures you have. I still believe there is a lack of give at the header and do plan on modifying mine prior to running.

I plan on keeping my Fujis and stock exhaust for a bunch of runs (at least until I get the incling for a little more pace)

I also plan on contacting the manufacturer before feeling obligated to share my woes with the world (should I see any).

You speak of "lack of give at the header", how do you intend to accomplish this. I definately do not want the same system to go back in there and have this happen all over again. Please, share your wisdom!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Justaddwata

I plan on cutting my header (near the head) and using a silicon (or similar) flex coupler to join the two cut pieces. While the weight will still be there I am pretty sure the chances of a vibration fracture will be lessened.
As I see it - something has to give. You were breaking welds - once that is reinforced you are now breaking manifolds. I believe that if you have stronger manifolds you could end up with cracking heads. There is only so much weight/inertia that the vibrating motor will support. I feel it is either going to be a reduction in weight or an increase in flexibility as a cure.

I am not in any way trying to discredit the findings of the manufacturer but I have seen other branded motors break manifolds and there is sometimes a more rigid manifold to blame.

These headers are the heaviest I have (and I have a lot of pipes). I could imagine them breaking a zenoah just as easy.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Jager 247

did i forget to say that my pul lstart would not recoil also. easy fix. and i got my upgraded header today when i was walking to my car to head to the lake, so now i got a box the perfect size to send the motor back in. as far as dishing Fugi yes i did. as for Grim and AC they have been great in trying to fix the problem. but when are they going to drawl the line in sending out fixed motors. Let's say i get my motor in next week, take it out to the lake and it breaks again, so i send it back and i get another one and it breaks also. How many times are they going to send me motor's, or are they just fixing the block and sending it back either way it's eating into there profit. If they send the same motor with the same style and casting, it will break. They may want to look at a different mold, move the port back closer to the block, which would give it more support, or add more casting to the block around the exhaust port. But that is on Fugi not AC, i feel sorry for Grim and AC for having another boat with another problem. I have the miss vegas which has been a great boat so far, the only problem i have had with it was the tank lid doesn't seal good, at the lake i fixed that with zip ties, problem solved. but when it came to the motor falling apart on the Rio, not much i can do at the lake with that. I had some JB weld but wasn't even going to try to put that on. i just hope the problems get fixed soon. everything on the boat has been great accept for the tank which is still leaking on me but will be fixed with a IV bag soon, and the motor which i wont comment on anymore in this post.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

I plan on cutting my header (near the head) and using a silicon (or similar) flex coupler to join the two cut pieces. While the weight will still be there I am pretty sure the chances of a vibration fracture will be lessened.
As I see it - something has to give. You were breaking welds - once that is reinforced you are now breaking manifolds. I believe that if you have stronger manifolds you could end up with cracking heads. There is only so much weight/inertia that the vibrating motor will support. I feel it is either going to be a reduction in weight or an increase in flexibility as a cure.
That's definately what I'll be doing myself as soon as this new engine arrives. Could definately lessen the potential for failure again.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 AM
mauian

Jager, Dreamin,
We here in Hawaii were some of the first to go thru what you all are now. We have new people in our circle of rc'ers that have recently bought the RIO and due to our experience's have urged them to change the pipe and header to aluminum. These pipes and headers came from BH Hanson and as of now no issues. I know this is another dip into the pocket book but it cured the trouble and now these guys have fun every weekend. I and another friend have went beyond the Fujii motor and dropped WHH motors in them. I have 2 Fujii motors that I use to race stock against the rest of the gang with of course the aluminum pipe and header. Grim and the gang will have the problem cured and when they do All of us will be the first to know. Have patience and all will be cleared up or be like me and drop a Zen in Her. Good Luck.....
Old 03-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: Grimracer

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

Hemi,

A water pick up rudder is a great idea as well as the turn buckle plates. I would stay away from the twin rudders however. Our V24-one rudder has a buit in water PU and bolts right on..

ROCK ON

Grim
So to be clear, the V24 model's rudder will bolt directly onto the Rio which will then give me a rudder/water pick-up? If thats the case, than I'll order one immediately! That's my only stink about this model. But like stated earlier, you absolutely cannot beat it for this price anywhere! High quality, reasonable price...tough, solid boat...nothing more to say!

DH

Hemi

Im 99.9 percent sure it twill bolt right on. I was looking around here and do not have a V-24 rudder to toss on the rio. If you are willing to wait a few days can conferm that for ya.

ROCK ON

Grim
Any further info on the fit?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Dreamin Hemi

You can leave the carb on the motor but truth is I would pull the mounts and if you can the drive adaptor.

Thanks

Grim
Is this drive adaptor screwed on, or pressed? How would I remove it, getting ready to ship sometime this morning.

-S

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.