Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

XL-5 Gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 AM
SixShooterInd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XL-5 Gearing?

What would be a good gearing for my XL-5? It came stock with an 86 and a 90 spur gear, and I have these pinions 18, 19, 23, 25, and 28. Right now im running a 23/86 setup but i run alot on grass and it works good but i wanted to try to get alittle more run time out off my batteries, and the motor gets to hot for comfort. i was thinking of a 19/86, what do you run on your setups?

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:12 AM
pede_187

Default RE: XL-5 Gearing?

with the titian?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Redvanmafia

i run 19/86 in my pede even on my titan i did and i still run 19/86 on my mamba 7700 works perfect for me, Reaaallly fasst i might try to go higher to get more top speed but i gotta watch the temps
Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

running 23/86 in grass on a 6cell battery WILL KILL your titan. i had 3 batteries through my brand new titan with that gearing off road and it died. that gearing is for on road with a 7cell battery.(traxxas says this) so, 19/86 will be better. personally id go 18/86. either way, you will notice MUCH better pick up. the motor will run alot cooler. the top speed will drop alittle, but with the better acceleration, you will still be very happy with it. and, youll make your titan motor last alot longer.
anytime your motor gets to hot to touch, it means your gearing too tall(for speed) the motor has to work really hard to get up to its max rpms. if you geared it 25/86, you would probly find it slower than what you have now, because the motor wouldnt spin upto its max rpm. so, even tho each turn of the motor will turn the spur more, the motor wont turn as fast as it can cause there is too much load on it. motors have a sweet spot. for the titan 19/86 is the high end of the sweet spot for off road.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 AM
SixShooterInd

Today i tried a 23/90 it braught the final drive alittle higher from about 10.50 or so to about 11.25 not exactly sure on the numbers i dont have the chart infront of me, what do you think about that? I was also going to try the 18/86 configuration but tried this 23/90 first, and i'd have to say the motor runs alot cooler and it pulls the wheels alittle now. has any one tried this setup with any luck?

Thanks