Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

i need help deciding between a cx2 and a cp

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

i need help deciding between a cx2 and a cp

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:02 PM
getsideways

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help deciding between a cx2 and a cp

hey there,
i am new to helis but not rc. i have been looking at buying a cx2 but i have also been considering a blade cp. i have been messing around on real flight g4 with the coaxel heli that is on there and i can fly that pretty well. i would like to eventually fly 3d, so that is why i am considering the cp. do you guys think it will be to hard jumping straight to the cp? thanks for your help
Old 03-17-2008, 08:10 PM
bigbore

Default RE: i need help deciding between a cx2 and a cp

Having owned both I couldn't. Most people are like me, they couldn't fly the blade right away. I would start with the CX, when you are really good then move up.

My opinion.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:22 PM
evdreamer

My opinion is that the stock Blade CP doesn't have enough power for 3D. If you want to do 3D with that helicopter you most likely will need a brushless motor. But that is an expensive upgrade. It is a nice helicopter to learn how to set up CP helicopters and get practice hovering. I personally liked starting with the CX. It taught me how to hover in all four positions and build my confidence up. I also learned the basics of simple flight for figure eights and flying backwards. Then people seemed to go to fixed pitch right after that. I just jumped to the CP helicopters. It wasn't an easy ride, but I had no idea about fixed pitch helicopters. Then for the 3D part of that I would recommend the E-Sky series or B400. They are the cheaper entry level CP helicopters that have great reviews.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Skarn

The CX is a great little heli and fun to learn on. It's a non stressfull one. But the CP was a beast! It is very unstable and VERY hard to learn to hover on. I'd actually recommend you go bigger...at least to a Blade 400....if you stay in the hobby, you'll end up with one or a TREX class anyway.

I highly recommend a simulator. It helps greatly with the learning curve and wallet.

Good luck!
Skarn
Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Graiskye
My Feedback: (1)

My advice, buy a Lama 4, much cheaper, and they can be had with the 2.4ghz if that is what you are after.
Blades are hugely over rated in my opinion, parts are chearper on the Lama, and the blade system is MILES ahead.
Trust me, the first thing you'll do to a blade is probably upgrade to new blade holders so you can use blades other than those made by E Flite. Not a problem with the Lama.
Just my 2 cents
PS: forget about 3-d for at least a year or two(if your a fast learner and lucky), the CP wont 3d worth a crap anyway, I dont care what E flite says, and yes Ive seen the videos, like I said it cant 3 d worth a hill of beans. Its a cheap little micro copter that will teach you how to hover and set up a CCPM machine(basics at least),basically familiarize yourself with helis. Before 3D you have to learn how to fly and set up a helicopter first, these are huge hurdles, but thankfully they are fun hurdles to get over.
Start with a Coaxial. Whatever you do.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:44 AM
Coyote64

Id say for easing yourself into heli flight, buy a cx2 first to learn oriantation and basic hovering, its a great confidence builder then step up to a cp bird, and then if you were go to cp pick the Blade 400

If you go to cp straight away i think it would smash your confidence and you wouldnt get very far or quickly as you have had no coaxial learning and it could end up sat broken in a cupboard never to be used again.

+ get a sim sim = less crash money needed
Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Crusader23

I would suggest CX2. I have well over 120+ flights on my CX in a span of a couple of months. It's very durable and parts are inexpensive to get. I've crashed mine through barriers, wall lockers, walls, rocks, etc. and yet the CX still remains in tact. I really don't crash anymore in normal flight. You can also get crazy on upgrades on a CX2 (if you want to) and with the 2.4 TX that comes with it...well worth it. If a CX survives well in a combat zone (with radar jamming, tight spaces to fly, and wind), it will most likely sustain less damage in a normal flying environment.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
gene465
My Feedback: (10)

Well I will suggest the cheapest Co-axial you can find, only because it is a great trainer for all the above mentioned reasons, you will however get bored with it when you master it, For me I got pretty good flying it in about 2 weeks time and my attention waned after that. I skipped the FP though many move to one and have great results! Cheap to fix and pretty durable and very simple. I would recommend staying away from the tail motored CPs, which is the way I went and move on to a belted CP, for the same price as a Blade CP/Pro you can get you a HBK2 or Belt CP for a bit more. Course the B400 is a very nice package as well. Pros and cons to all of them, but whatever you pick have fun!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Crusader23

ORIGINAL: gene465

...you will however get bored with it when you master it, For me I got pretty good flying it in about 2 weeks time and my attention waned after that. I skipped the FP though many move to one and have great results! ...but whatever you pick have fun!
Agreed! That's how I ended up breaking blades (mostly) and a canopy. I get bored with it and start basically outflying the heli. Not intended for fast and crazy maneuvers. Well worth it to have for a relaxing hover, simple flight, and land it anywhere it'll fit heli (this will put a smile on your face when you can land it in very tight areas). As quoted above, whatever you pick have fun
Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
philip_g

ORIGINAL: Crusader23

I would suggest CX2. I have well over 120+ flights on my CX in a span of a couple of months. It's very durable and parts are inexpensive to get. I've crashed mine through barriers, wall lockers, walls, rocks, etc. and yet the CX still remains in tact. I really don't crash anymore in normal flight. You can also get crazy on upgrades on a CX2 (if you want to) and with the 2.4 TX that comes with it...well worth it. If a CX survives well in a combat zone (with radar jamming, tight spaces to fly, and wind), it will most likely sustain less damage in a normal flying environment.
My CX2 is broken after every flight
Old 03-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Fubar-One

Hi.
New to this forum and helis but not to RC itself either. I got a chance to play with a friend's Real Flight 4 and the helis in particular. Decided I wanted to get one so I bought the CP Pro. Immediately destroyed the blades and one skid. Things just happened too fast. Probably should have used training gear but the LHS didnt have them in stock. Went back to the LHS and ordered a CX2. He had the CX1 in stock but I wanted the 2.4ghz system.
Well, I have repaired the CX2 several times also, mainly replaced the upper blades several times, a skid once and the inner and outter shafts once.
Anyway, having flown both, I highly recommend you start with the CX2.
On a side note, I found a site with some pretty cool CX2 upgrades: BladeCX2.com.
I just (about an hour ago) installed what they call the Core Upgrade which replaces the inner and outer shafts, gears, hubs and adds unbreakable folding blades.
Weather permitting, I hope to fly it tomorrow with the upgrades.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Bladecx2guy
My Feedback: (2)

Hey all,
New to the board and r/c helis....Bought my cx2 today have two flights on it would recomend it to anyone that is wanting to get into r/c helis.....The cx2 is the way to gooooo!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:42 AM
Crusader23

ORIGINAL: philip_g
Hey if your CX2 is not broken every flight, then you either plateau or the maneuvers your doing are not challenging enough...lol
Or better yet, you might be the man [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Unbreakable folding blades, eh? That just sounded like a challenge to me. However, the BTH skids are truly unbreakable.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:21 AM
xyster101

Having been a daily member here since August I would advise the following:
Start with a coaxial like the CX2 or the Lama. The lama v4 is cheaper and the folding blades are nice, but the CX has LHS support. Once you can fly that thing well in figure 8's, nose in, side and do banked turns I would reccommend getting a single rotor machine.
Two ways to go here. I went with the Fixed pitch machine. For around $100 you can get a walkera #4 or honey bee. These little machines are a twichy and hard to fly. They are durable and easy to fix. I can change a whole frame out in about 20 minutes. Over at ushobbysupply.com most parts are 2 for 1. I have had my FP machine since Christmas and it is time for me to go to CP.
You could go right to CP. If you do that get a Honeybee King 2. They are around $180 and will do 3D. For a little more ($210) get a Belt CP. It is larger and comes with a brushless motor. For something you will not have to upgrade for a long long time get the Blade 400. The difference is the Blade 400 comes with a decent transmitter where the Belt CP does not. The belt and Blade are very similar. With the CP machines if you land hard you have to set everything up again. The Eflite CP+ machine has a tail motor and a weak normal motor. From what I have read and heard from other people it is hard to fly, and easy to break. Most people spend a lot of money repairing them and not flying them.
The single rotor machines are very different from the coaxial machine. Coaxial is easy to fly and great for a beginner and indoors.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 PM
philip_g

ORIGINAL: Crusader23

ORIGINAL: philip_g
Hey if your CX2 is not broken every flight, then you either plateau or the maneuvers your doing are not challenging enough...lol
Or better yet, you might be the man [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Unbreakable folding blades, eh? That just sounded like a challenge to me. However, the BTH skids are truly unbreakable.
No I just crash into crap a lot.

Those xtreme blades? Those break pretty easy, my first set lasted 2 flights. Actually the holders don't stay tight and cause wobbles which irritate me.

skids? Just bought a new set today, and a battery holder. I don't have the BTH skids. I do have metal upper and lower heads now though.

I have a esky HBFB also, I would never buy another esky product, the e-flight parts are available locally and that's worth the extra $.
For some reason I can't fly the FP, I think mine is messed up.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Kamov

I started with a coax the CX2 but I would suggest the Esky Lama V3 or V4 as they are half the price of the CX2

and use the rest of the money to buy lots of parts.

then moved up to the Honey Bee FP[HBFP] its a great learning single rotor heli "any" CP type heli will cost you lots
of money and frustration replacing parts and setting it up is a pain. as i went that route first..

the HBFP is almost indestructible and i say almost !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58585.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	912131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79877.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	912132  
Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
carlmora22

I was in your place about three weeks ago. I went ahead with Eflite cause its a name brand, I don't know why but after my 'fantastic' expericance with Walkeras electronics and what not, I was much more hesitant to buy. Luckly you get what you pay for and the CX2 got me started in helis. After the first couple of flight I was hooked. Anyway, after learning to deassemble it (Big crash outside, had to replace the frame with an aluminum one), getting it up in the sky, and nailing nose in hovering I moved up to the Blade CP Pro. I must say that when I took it home I thought I was going to crash on the first flight but I didn't. The reason being that the CX had tought me, on a small level, the cordiation and reflexes it take to fly the big boys with out me even relizing it. Now I am working on hovering nose in with the CPP its alot more sensitive but that makes it more fun for me to learn to make it do what i want it to. You can go with Eskys Lama 3 or 4 too, its not E-Flite but from what people tell me it gets the job done.

Carlos
Old 03-24-2008, 12:37 PM
flyblades

1. It is very hard to crash a CX heli on SIM. You can hand-free in SIM with a CX.
2. It took me a week to learn the CX2 in a 10x10 feet space. It took 30 seconds for one of my friend to learn my CX2 in a 2 car garage, and he is very good at RC boat with gas power. I am totally speechless after I saw he did it.