Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

No brakes on my E-Firestorm??

Old 03-23-2008, 08:20 PM
allicedout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brakes on my E-Firestorm??

OK so it seems I have no brakes on my E-Firestorm. I tried reseting the ESC as one of the members instructed me, but no luck. I do however notice that when its in drive and i hit reverse it rolls to a stop. when I hit reverse and then hit forward it instantly jumps from reverse to forward. Is this normal?? Or is something wrong?? Someone please help me.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:24 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: No brakes on my E-Firestorm??

You have brakes, just not super brakes, like normal disk brakes. Your electric car rolls to a stop because the motor is the "brake". The esc gives very little power to the motor and it sort of "forces" the car to slow...and the reverse and immediate forward thing is normal. If you get enough traction, you can keep a rolling wheelie Heard it messes up your gears if you over do it. Careful, happy driving!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM
allicedout

Good to know. Thank you.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 PM
hollylx88

you should have pretty decent brakes. at least enough to lock the rear tires, after all the rears are the only one doing any stopping. my t3 has a little lrp AI and it locks the tires up. and my mamba system in my t4 does too. once the brakes are applied there really is very little weight, so i think you should be able to get decent stopping power.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:00 PM
allicedout

Unfortunately thats not the case. If i'm in forward motion to stop I put it in reverse. This doesn't lock the tires, like I was saying it slowly rolls to a stop. There is no real braking happeneing. If i'm at full speed and I hit the trigger on the radio to reverse to stop it will roll about 5 feet before anything happens. So now I got 2 different opinions. Not sure if the truck is running right or not.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
hollylx88

the first esc i had in my t3 was like that. it just seemed like there was nothing. then i fried it. but every other electric i've run will stop nice. you said you recalibrated the esc? try calling hpi and see what they say. if its a stock setup, ask around in one of the e-firestorm threats and see if that's how other people's trucks are running
Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

It's right...you still have stubby tires? Good traction on the pavement won't lock up. Your brakes are working, just give yourself room to stop.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 PM
hollylx88

with those stock holeshot type tires, it should lock up on pavement. i mean if you're questioning whether the brakes accually work or not, somethings wrong.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Access

It's not supposed to lock the tires. There is real braking happening if everything is working right, compare this.

1) Go to full speed, then take your finger off the trigger and let it go into nuetral.
2) Go to full speed, then push the trigger all the way forward (full brake).

Which one takes longer to stop? If they both take the same distance / time, something is wrong.
Either way you are only braking with the rear tires and a 2WD electric isn't going to be able to stop on a dime. That's just the way things are, esp. if you are using the standard motor it's only that strong, so likewise the brakes are only going to be that good.

Locking the tires isn't an optimal way to stop, it's just like with anti-lock brakes (and it would probably also kill the tranny).
Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
hollylx88

its not a question of the optimal way to stop. its available breaking force. alls you're doing is dragging the rear tires, so it doesn't take much to lock them up. if you punch it from a stop, the truck spins the tires, right? its not the optimal way to launch the truck, nor is it the best for drive train longevity, but it should have the power there. Having abs in a car would be useless if there wasn't enough braking force to lock the tires up when full brake is applied. if the truck can't lock the tires, or doesn't stop fast enough to the point that you wonder if the brakes even work, somethings not right. whatever power you can put into the motor going forward, you can put in going backwards. whether or not locking the tires stops you any faster, its rwd, and should be able to when full brake is applied. my t3 and t4 both lock up on the pavement, dirt, or whatever else i run them on.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:41 PM
hollylx88

and i'm sure its not programed to give you 100% in a full brake/reverse throttle position. you obviously don't need it. but it should have decent braking force.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:10 AM
savtraxx

put hydrolics on it =]
Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 AM
allicedout

I emailed HPI and all they could tell me to do was send the ESC in, they were no help as far as diagnosing if it was good or bad. Not sure what to do with it.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:39 AM
SavageX78

Maybe its the motor. Thats what the ESC is making stop. Maybe the motor wants to keep going.lol
Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 AM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Access

It's not supposed to lock the tires. There is real braking happening if everything is working right, compare this.

1) Go to full speed, then take your finger off the trigger and let it go into nuetral.
Did you try this yet? What was the result?

Some ESCs have weaker braking than others. I have had a couple that didn't stop very fast.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Dudelive

ORIGINAL: BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Access

Did you try this yet? What was the result?

Some ESCs have weaker braking than others. I have had a couple that didn't stop very fast.
Try what Access has posted, the braking is as strong as the motor only. A weak motor will cause longer distance to stop due to the weaker magnets. Some vehicles with stock esc just don't have as good of braking as you want. Also you will get better braking if the rear tires DON'T slide.

ABS = Antilock Braking System....so you will stop better and have better control without locking tires. Real cars will NOT slide the tires with ABS and they stop great.

On a radio control vehicle there are no speed sensors to tell the ABS computer to release some braking force to prevent sliding so they just have the esc programmed to work as ABS and they appear to stop slower and in some cases do.