Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

revo rear suspension

Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
malloy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default revo rear suspension

I have a question reguarding the rear suspension. I currently have a 3.3 race revo and i cannot get the rear suspension dialed in. I race on the weekends and the track is hard-packed dirt and is a bit bumpy/very rutted up. Even on the smallest bumps the rear end wants to shoot up. It's the to the point that the truck is flipping over. My trucks is extensivly modded and far from stock. I run the proline LPR wheels and tires and have all the other "race" stuff. I have the full traxxas spring kit and ive tried all the different settings, still the same thing. also my suspension has horrible rebound. when I jounce the vehicle the rebound is very poor. I've checked for binding in the pivot balls and none found.

Right now i'm running gold springs in the rear with 40wt oil and #2 pistons, In the front i'm running green springs, 50wt oil and #2 pistons.. ride height is set with the driveshafts
level...

any help would be great.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM
FISH KILLA

Default RE: revo rear suspension

Try 50 wt fluid in the rear or heavier. It sounds too bouncy. The heavier fluid will slow down the rebound. Rebound is how fast and far it springs back up. You need to slow it down with heavier fluid. My 2 cents.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:48 PM
malloy

yea, i tried the 50wt and still no better. It's funny cause I use to build race shocks (bilstein) for nascar, circle track, etc... I'm also a full-time mercedes-benz tech, so i understand suspension really well. It's just no matter what I do, I keep getting the same results.... I guess it's time for drastic measures...
Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 PM
FISH KILLA

Have you tried a softer spring in the rear?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 PM
george3.3

what rockers are you using and do you have alot of preload on the springs?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Clymer122693

P2 rockers are the most commonly used for racing. The preload depends on how you want it too react. What springs on your using?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 AM
sloppyG

sounds like your shocks need thinner oil, not thicker
Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Clymer122693

Also what shock pistons are you using?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:20 AM
[email protected]

put 25wt in it.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 AM
FISH KILLA

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

Thinner would make it bounce even more. Thicker will slow down the rebound and help his problem. He seems to have tried many things already though.

Let us kno wwhat pistons you are using. They may have too large a hole in them.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: FISH KILLA

Thinner would make it bounce even more. Thicker will slow down the rebound and help his problem. He seems to have tried many things already though.

depends on why it's bouncing, if it's setup way too stiff (springs or shocks) it may bounce because the suspension's not absorbing the impacts
thickening the oil slows the compression of the shocks as well, and if they can't act quick enough the truck won't handle well

if the whole truck is bouncing and the suspension doesn't look like it's working hard the setup is probably too stiff

if the truck is pretty much staying on the ground, and it's bouncing on it's suspension (like a trampoline, but with wheels still on the ground) then more damping (heavier oil/smaller pistons) is in order

Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 AM
mustang-04

im not saying im just saying..

ive got integy shocks installed on my revo and im using 90wt. i find it nearly impossible to get the rear tires to lift off the ground unless i jump the darn thing.

im really impressed by them
Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 PM
FISH KILLA

ORIGINAL: FISH KILLA

depends on why it's bouncing, if it's setup way too stiff (springs or shocks) it may bounce because the suspension's not absorbing the impacts
thickening the oil slows the compression of the shocks as well, and if they can't act quick enough the truck won't handle well

if the whole truck is bouncing and the suspension doesn't look like it's working hard the setup is probably too stiff

if the truck is pretty much staying on the ground, and it's bouncing on it's suspension (like a trampoline, but with wheels still on the ground) then more damping (heavier oil/smaller pistons) is in order

Since he si using gold springs I would think heavier fluid. You may know more thasn I though. Just trying to help. I run silver springs and 50 wt and I stick pretty good over bumps. If his track is really bumpy he might need to try a softer spring.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:39 PM
sloppyG

the OP saying the "rear end wants to shoot up" leads me to think that the suspension's not absorbing the bumps like it should

the rear needs to be softer so it absorbs the bumps rather than launching the rear in to the air
Old 03-24-2008, 01:42 PM
FISH KILLA

the OP saying the "rear end wants to shoot up" leads me to think that the suspension's not absorbing the bumps like it should

the rear needs to be softer so it absorbs the bumps rather than launching the rear in to the air
I see. You may be right. With his current setup it should be good huh? Do you think his gold springs and 40 wt would be too bouncy? Heavier fluid no? Maybe he is binding somewhere.

Check your pivot ball caps to see if they are binding.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:33 PM
malloy

thanks fellas for the feedback. i'm on the P2 rockers and I have #2 psitons on the rear shocks. I just rebuilt them 2 days ago. I need to be more specific. The front on the vehicle is good, but the rear is like a spring-board. I do admit the track is really bumpy and it's not maintained very well. I just want to back end to be more planted. I've been working on my throttle control as well. I have to gas it just right or the track will flip over if I hit a rut or a fair-sized bump.. I trying to get a general idea if I should go stiffer or lighter.

The stiffest I've run in the rear is a 50wt oil on a tan springs. , now i'm on a gold spring. I just need a general direction on the oil weight and spring preload. as far as preload, I'm setting the driveshafts level. (about half way down the threads on the shock body)