Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

What should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:20 PM
antpballin11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i get?

i love rcs and im only 13 years old ill be 14 in september. I have 2 electrics and 1 nitro but im selling all of them to get one really good nitro MT![sm=greedy.gif] Im hoping that you guys/girls (yes i know a few girls that do use rcs) about what monster truck i should get? i love to basha nd take my rcs off of really big jumps without buying a lot of parts. Also i love to go fast and i am hopin gthat i can beat or at least compete with my dads friends T-MAXX which has a Picco .26! so anyone can you please help me?!?!?!?!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:23 PM
F-22

Default RE: What should i get?

Um, you're not gonna be able to compete with his with the money off of those, probably.

And, you might want to wait till you're older to get into R/C. Breaking a truck here is like breaking a truck in real life, you have to fix it as such, and 13 year olds.. Well, aren't very good at that, nor do they have the financial means.

Come back in 4-5 years and maybe.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM
shanty140

Here is what I go off of:

HARD BASHING:
- Savage X 4.6
- MGT 4.6 or 8.0

MILD BASHING:
- Savage X 4.6
- MGT
- LST2

RUNNING AROUND THE HOUSE WITH A COUPLE JUMPS HERE AND THERE:
- Savage X 4.6
- MGT 4.6 or 8.0
- LST2
- Revo 3.3

MIGHT DO A LITTLE RACING BUT MOSTLY BASHING:
- MGT 4.6 or 8.0
- LST2
- Revo 3.3

MOSTLY RACING:
- LST2
- Revo 3.3

In order of toughest to weakest:
- Savage X 4.6
- MGT 4.6 or 8.0
- LST2
- Revo 3.3

In order of fastest:
- Revo 3.3
- I don't know how the MGT compares the the LST2
- But I do know the Savage is the slowest.

All of the trucks though are within 5 -7 mph of each other.

This is just what I think. You also have to remember that all trucks can be made into another. Meaning a Savage can be a very good Racer, while a Revo 3.3 can be a good basher. I personally have gone with a Savage and am loving it.

But I don't believe you can make a mistake with any of these vehicles. They are all great and I would take any one of them.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:00 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started when I was 12, so you will be fine.. If you want a good MT, your options are pretty much: Revo, LST2, MGT, Savage 4.6 (my top pick of those), Aftershock... Dont even bother with the T-maxx, it breaks too much. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:31 PM
F-22

ORIGINAL: shanty140

Here is what I go off of:

HARD BASHING:
- Savage X 4.6
- MGT 4.6 or 8.0

MILD BASHING:
- Savage X 4.6
- MGT
- LST2

RUNNING AROUND THE HOUSE WITH A COUPLE JUMPS HERE AND THERE:
- Savage X 4.6
- MGT 4.6 or 8.0
- LST2
- Revo 3.3

MIGHT DO A LITTLE RACING BUT MOSTLY BASHING:
- MGT 4.6 or 8.0
- LST2
- Revo 3.3

MOSTLY RACING:
- LST2
- Revo 3.3

In order of toughest to weakest:
- Savage X 4.6
- MGT 4.6 or 8.0
- LST2
- Revo 3.3

In order of fastest:
- Revo 3.3
- I don't know how the MGT compares the the LST2
- But I do know the Savage is the slowest.

All of the trucks though are within 5 -7 mph of each other.

This is just what I think. You also have to remember that all trucks can be made into another. Meaning a Savage can be a very good Racer, while a Revo 3.3 can be a good basher. I personally have gone with a Savage and am loving it.

But I don't believe you can make a mistake with any of these vehicles. They are all great and I would take any one of them.

Believe it or not, LST2s are just as hardy or hardier than Savage X 4.6s. (And alot moreso than GSTs.). As far as Revo VS LST2 and LST2 VS MGTs in speed/hardiness, Revos are less hardy and are slightly less fast, atleast on my track. And LST2s are hands down faster than the MGT, and from what I see, more durable.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:49 PM
shanty140

Believe it or not, LST2s are just as hardy or hardier than Savage X 4.6s. (And alot moreso than GSTs.). As far as Revo VS LST2 and LST2 VS MGTs in speed/hardiness, Revos are less hardy and are slightly less fast, atleast on my track. And LST2s are hands down faster than the MGT, and from what I see, more durable.
[/quote]

From my experiences with other friends LST2 they couldn't hold up to what I was doing with my Savage, and my other buddy's MGT. I think that the only thing holding the MGT from being even a better basher is the suspension travel. They are amazing vehicles though. And when I was talking about speed I was talking about straight away on pavement. Also the new MGT 8.0 goes like a bat outta hell, or so I have been told. That why I was unsure on it speed. The old MGT 4.6 was no faster then the Savage X 4.6 though.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
zud00

ORIGINAL: F-22

Um, you're not gonna be able to compete with his with the money off of those, probably.

And, you might want to wait till you're older to get into R/C. Breaking a truck here is like breaking a truck in real life, you have to fix it as such, and 13 year olds.. Well, aren't very good at that, nor do they have the financial means.

I can't believe you posted that. It is rude and inconsiderate. If you're not going to post something helpful, don't post at all. Besides, he stated in the op that he has a nitro truck so I think he can handle another nitro truck.

I have a Savage and it is tough as nails. I bash it hard too. I have really only ran with other savages and an MGT. The MGT is an awesome platform. If you want a tough truck, both of those are awesome.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:54 PM
robwiljas

ORIGINAL: zud00

I can't believe you posted that. It is rude and inconsiderate. If you're not going to post something helpful, don't post at all. Besides, he stated in the op that he has a nitro truck so I think he can handle another nitro truck.

I have a Savage and it is tough as nails. I bash it hard too. I have really only ran with other savages and an MGT. The MGT is an awesome platform. If you want a tough truck, both of those are awesome.
I agree completely. I started in the hobby when I was 13 and had no trouble working on my truck. I've seen many people get into the hobby even younger. I've been in it for 16 years now and regret not having gotten into it even earlier. To think you need to be 17 or 18 to have a nitro monster truck is just dumb IMO.

To the OP, it really depends on how much you have to spend. The LST/2 (and variants), Savage and MGT are all great bashers. Every one of them has it's good points and bad points and I honestly don't believe you would regret any of them. I would however avoid Traxxas. Everyone here warned me not to buy a T-Maxx but I didn't listen. [sm=red_smile.gif] I even bought an E-Maxx too. After a few months though I quickly realized that they were right, they broke all the time. I sold them both a couple weeks ago and bought the Losi 1/8th Raminator and couldn't be happier.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 PM
F-22

Show me a 13 year old boy who can disassemble and reassemble a nitro R/C and I'll agree.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 PM
rcnitrohead

Damn straight guys, finally some other people are seeing how rude F-22 is.. How can you give advice about cars when you dont even own one?? Anyway, to the OP, I strongly recommend the Savage/Revo/MGT is a starter MT, they are all great and wont break the bank..
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
F-22

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Damn straight guys, finally some other people are seeing how rude F-22 is.. How can you give advice about cars when you dont even own one?? Anyway, to the OP, I strongly recommend the Savage/Revo/MGT is a starter MT, they are all great and wont break the bank..

Ok, be my guest. Give a 1/5 gasser to a fetus for all I care, I'm just trying to be helpful.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Snaut Rocket

Show me a 13 year old boy who can disassemble and reassemble a nitro R/C and I'll agree.
Im only 2 years older than a 13 year old and I tear down my truck and rebuild diffs, shocks, and clutch after every race.[X(]
Old 03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
robwiljas

I built my first one from a kit at 13 with no help. Maybe you couldn't have at 13 but that doesn't mean nobody can.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:19 PM
megamaxx

there are plenty of 13 yo out there that can tear down and rebuild as well,if not better tan some adults!!!heck you can train a monkey to twist a screwdriver
Old 03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
F-22

ORIGINAL: megamaxx

there are plenty of 13 yo out there that can tear down and rebuild as well,if not better tan some adults!!!heck you can train a monkey to twist a screwdriver
But let's see that monkey re-assemble a transmission.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Snaut Rocket

the tranny isn't that hard if you have the manual.
What I hate hate the most is the shocks and engine everything just gets so messy.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:59 PM
jay863fl

HEY!!!!! You guys forgot Mini MGT =P I have one and its pretty darned tuff, as far as I know the most prone to break part is the bumper ring. I dont bash as hard as some of the guys but I have had a few immovable objects hop in my way and only broke an arm so far. ( by the way, the arm is beefy enough that I took some angle aluminum and 2 bolts and pieced it back together until my replacement came in) Also, its 1/10 scale so for beating around in the front yard you dont seem to reach the fence quite as fast. For the $350 I paid ( think its a little less no ) I am very very pleased. The only downside is it is 1/10th scale, and theres not much aftermarket support for it. There is howwever a big block conversion kit for when you wanna bump heads with that T-Maxx your dads friend has.[X(]
Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM
F-22

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

the tranny isn't that hard if you have the manual.
What I hate hate the most is the shocks and engine everything just gets so messy.
The shocks? nah, they're pretty easy.

I agree on the engine.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:54 PM
john2364

Seriously man, how old are you? Is it possible that you are only 4-5 years older and thus still having an age complex as most teenagers do? I have built and repaired RCs since I was 11. Back then we had to do all the assembly including the differentials. I'm 25 now, and these things are just as easy now as they were back in the day. In the end, these are toys. I love them, but they are still just expensive toys. They are meant to entertain, not to satisfy some rite of passage which requires a higher level of responsibility. If you take these things so seriously as to implement ridged age requirements on to them, then you may want to reevaluate your priorities in life.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 PM
megamaxx

most people are not old enough to remember the kit days
Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Clymer122693

Didn't read all of the posts but age means nothing! I got my revo when I was 13. I was a totall noob to nitro's. As long as you can read then you will be in the right direction.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Clymer122693

Built my savage x ss from the ground up with no help. Tear my revo down 100% all the time. Want a vid for proof?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:19 AM
dsales

I started when I was 12 and I did allright with some help from my dad. I had a RTR truck and within the first week I had to do an almost complete rebuild as I melted the gears and damaged the differentials, so it doesnt matter if its RTR or KIT, you will have to do a rebuild anyway.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:26 AM
Anomie

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.
Please remember this policy when posting. There are many differing ages represented here, and to blanket a statement about the skill and/or capability of one particular age group is not very easy. There have been several age polls in many of the car forums, and it may be surprising just how many of the younger members are completely autonomous and skilled in this hobby.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
megamaxx

ORIGINAL: Reiko

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.
Please remember this policy when posting. There are many differing ages represented here, and to blanket a statement about the skill and/or capability of one particular age group is not very easy. There have been several age polls in many of the car forums, and it may be surprising just how many of the younger members are completely autonomous and skilled in this hobby.
could not agree with you more Reiko,there are youngsters out there a 1/3 my age that understand and can explain throughly the tech side of this hobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.