Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Older Aquila and Oly II

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
captphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older Aquila and Oly II

Just thought I would post pics of a few relics. As you will see the Oly II has seen better days. It was my first in 1980 and the box still has the $42.99 price tag on it. The Aquila stayed in the framework state for 22 years and I just recently skinned it. The fusealage is covered with a light weight glass and painted. I have yet to fly it and am wondering if it would be a good slope soarer.

As for the fuselage of the Oly it is in to bad a shape to repair, but the wings are good. Would it be better to buy the wood and rebuild the fuselage and tail section from the plans or buy a new new glider. I would like to have one that is electric assist. Is it better and more cost effective to rebuild and outfit the Oly II with electric or buy a new electric glider. I have heard talk of fitting the Oly with an electric motor but really don't know how to go about it. I am on a bit of a budget so I am looking for any suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60137.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	918622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15131.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	918623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40327.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	918624  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Older Aquila and Oly II

If you're on a budget and if you have a launch the glider from a hi-start, I'd use the plans and build a new fuselage and tail feathers. You can actually make the "kit" in one evening and have it framed up in another and covered in a 3rd.

After you've done the fuselage you'll have a feel for how easy it'd be to whip out a new wing. I figured a new wing could be started on a Monday night and be test flown on Friday after work. Never missed a contest weekend for lack of a wing. You'll also have a feel for the cost.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, it was always nice to be able to stretch the cost for stuff out over a couple of weeks. And the balsa you buy can go farther than just one model, especially if you buy 10 packs or whatever the best price quantity is. And there always seemed to be half a model's worth of covering left over after finishing the latest wing. So one week I'd get a roll of covering. Couple of weeks later a pack of 1/16" balsa sheet or whatever.......
Old 03-31-2008, 09:45 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you it'll do fine as a light-lift sloper.

Theres a slope up behind the Marin Civic Center that works in light NW winds, and you can climb out as high as your vision allows. PM me if you want directions. We also fly our light-lift planes at "Four Corners" in Marin. Its on the ridge that seperates Muir Woods from Mill Valley, and you can fly well away from the slope in search of light thermals.