Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

What should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
K-OS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What should i get?

Listen kid, you want some good advice? Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't do it.

As for the best RC truck to get, depends what you want. I've worked on the T-maxx, didn't like it. I was going to get a Revo until I saw the LST2, I fell in love with the sheer size of it. And for some reason, the LST2 is made to be repaired quickly and easily (not that you will have to do it). For bashing the Revo looks funny when standing up tall, as in ride height, you will sacrifice alot of handling. I consider the Revo a truggy IMO.

The LST2 is a better kit for the money, and you won't be tempted to spend your money on upgrades. The motor is amazingly powerful (I can just about wheelie).

One last thing, if you can't afford what you want, WAIT. Be patient because if you buy something lesser than what you want, you will regret it.

I never had help with my r/c cars, and I have been driving real R/C since the age of 10. You learn the hard way sometimes but thats how you never make the same mistake twice, besides we are all here to help you (minus F-22).
Old 03-31-2008, 12:09 PM
burningpoo

ORIGINAL: F-22

Um, you're not gonna be able to compete with his with the money off of those, probably.

And, you might want to wait till you're older to get into R/C. Breaking a truck here is like breaking a truck in real life, you have to fix it as such, and 13 year olds.. Well, aren't very good at that, nor do they have the financial means.

Come back in 4-5 years and maybe.
I was around 10 when I built my first kit. 17 years later I'm still doing it. I did take some years off when I first met my wife, but now I have her and my 4 y/o daughter playing around with trucks. You might make the same mistakes twice, but how else will you learn. Save up, get a good truck, learn it inside and out and have fun. Start saving for parts and break it some more. Thats the best part about nitro rc cars/trucks, they give you something to do that's constructive, messy and fun.

Good luck in your search. I've been running a GST with no problems beating the crap outa it. For me the truck is fast enough, takes a beating and isn't(in my eyes) that hard to work on.

I know a 9 y/o who mows lawns to pay for his rc's, just have to be patient and work hard, just like life.

{edit} I still have that black foot...
Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Elite_Tux487

Yeah..younger kids can get into no problem. I started when I was 10 with a nitro kyosho sandmaster mkII.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
antpballin11

Thank you! i want a savage and all but i dont kno how to produce that kind of money
Old 04-02-2008, 09:05 PM
antpballin11

one of my friends has a problem with traxxas and i really wan to kick his ass cuz thats all he talks about and he has 2 emaxxs and his dad ahas a tmaxx with a picco .26. if i say anything that ha stoo do with non traxxxas he says im gay and everything else ois ****!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 PM
xander31991

i just got my Mini MGT 3.0 it hauls, and its rally tough and the easiest thing ive worked on
im 17 and i got into the hobby when i was 12 with an e-rustler
i was the only mechanical one in the family, i was replacing bike tires at 8 cause no one else knew how, and i was too stubborn to use a manual so i learned everything be takin it apart and putting it back together(but its easier to use a manual)
I nicknamed my truck the Revo Ponner haha
Itll flip over backwards in grass and on concrete itll spin all four tires
its a great truck for the price, and before you know it youll be teachin old farts(like f-22) how to do things
Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 AM
jbb

dude f 22 should be banned really. the lst2 is an amazing truck!!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:07 AM
beer=food
Banned

Ok, be my guest. Give a 1/5 gasser to a fetus for all I care, I'm just trying to be helpful.
Nah dont ban the dude he's a crunny frunty, lmagine of l said to get a FROG about now, hahaha, ban him ban him , LOL , burrp, yall need more liquid bread !
Now dont get a FROG, LOL, although there really really good, there just not the same as a nitro MT, LOL, hahaha, get a cheap savage, good learner for a youngster.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
rc rock

i'm 13 1/2 i've owned 4 rc's two of which nitro. i've raced 1/10 on road electric and did quite well.
and believe it or not nobody in my family has ever owned a hobby grade rc, i learned by my self and can stip down and maintain my tc5 way quiker than some grown ups.
age is not a factor in rc's as long as u can support yourself economicaly....

as for the truck, get the one you have support at your local hobby shop, you will be happy with any of those
i personally don't like the revo as much as the others but thats just me (bigger=better for me)
Old 04-04-2008, 06:51 PM
antpballin11

ok i totally agree with everything you just said but the closest hobby shop near me is in the next state over and almost an hour away
Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To ANT, who wants a savage! I used to be into motorcycles at 12 year old through my 20's. I supported my hobby through delivering newspapers, 7 mile route, mowwing yards, what ever else I could get, to keep my hobby going.

To all you younger guys the key is taking your time reading manuals etc. Well this goes for us older guys to. I've found the faster I twist wrenches the more i screw up. Also experience is a great teacher. Im sure a lot of you young guys could put me to shame.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:57 PM
jbb

it was a joke lol i like to laugh at him
Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 PM
bruzzer

Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 PM
destrega

Not to mention the great radio that the lst2 comes with, while it may be expensive its not like you're paying for stuff that is worthless.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 PM
pritch

ORIGINAL: antpballin11

ok i totally agree with everything you just said but the closest hobby shop near me is in the next state over and almost an hour away
If that is the case and you buy mostly online, consider ease of getting parts. Traxxas and Tamiya are good in this respect, HPI aren't bad either though.

That said whilst it can be good advice to go with what yourlocal hobby shopstocks, it depends to an extent how your drive. Some people get through a ton of parts, some rarely break or replace anything. If you are the latter, it is less of an issue, and you should maybethink moreabout where you will mostly drive your truck and what will be most fun to drive in that environment.

I completely agree that you should not compromise. If you really want a Savage but can't afford it yet, save up, get a paper round, whatever. You will appreciate it much more, probably want to look after it better, and feel like you've earned it when you do get it.Nothing beats thatfeeling!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: F-22

Show me a 13 year old boy who can disassemble and reassemble a nitro R/C and I'll agree.
I bought a savage when i was 13 and after running in mud i pretty much disassembled the whole thing to clean it.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Jarrett123

OK i'll give it to F-22 the 1/5 to a fetus was funny, but that stuff was pretty rude.[:'(] I'm only fourteen and my first truck was... was a TMAXX[] oh nooooo. You would be surprised with how much you learn with one of those... with it breaking alll the time. I just sold it to fund an MGT 8.0. I would go with one of the mgt's. Out of the box they seem to have the least problems and although the savage isgoodit takes a little extra money to make it great. IMO.Which adds up faster than you would think. In parts traxxas owns, but their is a reason for it.There is tons of aftermarketstuff for the savage, but with a limited budget it is only something that you want and cant buy... Thats annoying and a lot of it is for bling and not performance.I don't have a job... yet. im in the process, but between this and ATV's i've got to get a job. ATV's-Bigger=more money... a lot more money.[] IMO i would get the MGT and out of research it seems the best, but as everyone has said they all have problems... unfortunatley,[] but give your LHS a call and ask which one they carry the most parts for. It is a pain to have to order them.[:@] That should greatly effect your decision.

GOTTA LOVE THE SMILEYS!!!!

Jarrett =)
Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 PM
rustlerbasher

if I were you id look for a savage used off ebay... cheapest way to get a tough truck that will take relentless beatings

Old 06-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Did anyone notice how old this post is? I would assume the OPhas bought something by now! Anyhow, I just read through this and that F-22 is a complete and total jack*****!!!!!!! I built my first kit, a Lunchbox, when I was6!!!! I built an RC10T when I was 11, and an RC10GT when I was 13 or 14!!!!! All of the vehicles ran great, and I still have every single one of them. What an idiot this F-22 is! Just because he was inept to do the stuff at that age doesn't mean everyone else is.

As far as a recomendation to the OP, if he hasn't bought a truck, I'd go with the MGT 8.0. Tons of power, virtually bullet proof, tons of fun, and very reliable. Stay away from Traxxass crap.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Jarrett123

Second ^