Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg -- PITTS S12 MONSTER

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Carl Goldberg -- PITTS S12 MONSTER

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carl Goldberg -- PITTS S12 MONSTER

Has the Goldberg Pitts Monster been discontinued? I notice that Tower has discontinued many of the Goldberg and Lanier line of models. A shame if they did quit making it. I would like to buy one and put a Saito 180 in it. I'm getting tired of the 50cc smelly expensive gassers. The Goldberg Pitts M-12 is just the right size for fun and giggles. Guess I waited too long. Anybody got one that is N.I.B.????? Speedy
Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Ross 3951
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speedy, I picked mine up at my local hobby shop but try Goldberg directly @ www.carlgoldbuergprouducts.com I'm hoping that replacement parts are available as well as the whole plane. Also try www.chiefaircraft.com. The Cermark Pitts S2B looks pretty sweet.
This thing fly's great with a 1.80. You will not be disappointed. Ironically, I'd love to get my hands on a 50cc gasser.

Elderair, Sounds like you are almost ready! I hear you about finding the time. That seems to be a tough one for me too. You'll be rolling out on to a nice green runway before you know it.
This weekend looks spotty at best. Rain and wind...... gotta love early spring.

Ross 3951
Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Had a Cermark Pitts S2B with a saito 150. One of my all time favorites. Flew the crap out of it and decided to move on. Now I wish I had it back but it would definitely have some hours on it by now. Excellent flying machine. Not 3D but was not intended to be. I am somewhat dismayed towards flying a scale-like Pitts in an unscale manner and tend to prefer the IMAC flight patterns. Hovering looks cool but I like to fly aerobatics! I am capable of flying 3D but not totaly fascinated with it.
Speedy
Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I called my LHS and they called Carl Goldberg Models and confirmed that the Goldberg 1.20 size Pitts S-12 "Monster" ARF has been discontinued and is no longer being manufactured.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

I called my LHS and they called Carl Goldberg Models and confirmed that the Goldberg 1.20 size Pitts S-12 "Monster" ARF has been discontinued and is no longer being manufactured.
Yup, it's been discontinued for several months now, unfortunately. Great Planes bought out Goldberg, and it seems that most of the nice Goldberg ARF's have since been discontinued.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Ross 3951

That's a shame, Goldberg had some nice planes.

Speedy, you can still get the GP Super Stearman. It is roughly the same size and just as graceful in the air. Totally aerobatic, especially with smoke! The Skybolt is sweet too.

I'm not trying to push GP on you. I just think that these would be a suitable alternative to an otherwise unobtainable plane. I'd imagine that someone, somewhere has one that they are willing to part with. Perhaps a kit?

Ross 3951
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM
elderair
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Carl Goldberg PITTS S12 MONSTER

Well, I finally put the maiden flight on my Pitts Monster. It was about 5:00 p.m. with about a 20-30 gust wind right down my back yard runway which was freshly cut. I had spent a little time tweeking the needles on the Canaday 29cc engine. This little motor is fantastic but when the cowl is installed the mixture screw settings change quite a bit. Also, when the ideal high needle setting is achieved then the low speed becomes verrrrry touchy. I finally got a compromise setting with great top end and just a slight bit of lag on throttle up with a very nice idle. I refueled and was initially going to taxi only. The plane even blew over when I turned on the down wind end of the runway. I went out and flipped it back over and fired it up. I couldn't stand the idea of not flying the plane so I pushed the throttle up and away she went with the wind buffetting it about like an electric park flyer. I got a little altitude and gave it two clicks of right aileron and two clicks of down elevator for the best trim I could achieve with the wind blowing like it was. I did some rolls on low rate and it is very axial. There were no pitch problems with the c.g. at 6" aft of L.E. of top wing center. 5 minutes into the flight I decided to make a few passes down the runway and after two decent passes I broght it around on a down wind at altitude then pulled a bit of power on base and then hooked it around on final still high and pulled the rest of the power to a fast idle and pointed the nose at the back yard where the runway started. I lost all the unwanted altitude quickly and pushed just a bit of power back into the stick and settled in to a nice three point with almost no roll out. What a flight that was. Beautiful combination of motor and plane and except for the wind it was a great rush. The pre fuel weight was 12.9 lbs. I have a smoke system that I may install later after I have flown it a bit more. FINALLY she has flown. I think it will be a good stunter for barnstorming and a great addition to my stable.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Ross 3951

Congratulations on your maiden!

It's been a bit windy here in Rhode Island this season, 15 to 25 is common. Seems to blow most during the weekends when I can fly. If I want to sail there is no wind, If I want to fly it blows a gale. Go Figure!

I've been flying my Pitts regularly for a few months now and typically do not go to the field with out it.
Ended up going with a simple smoke system from TME that works fairly well.
I'll dig up some pictures / vids and post them soon.

Ross 3951
Old 06-14-2008, 11:08 PM
elderair

I had all of the smoke system installed except for the tank and removed it for the maiden flight. Thought I might need a little help in the wing load dept. Turns out that on my second flight yesterday I had a flame out during a hammer head and was able to point the nose down and get good airspeed and shuttle the Pitts right to a very nice landing. I have the gear plate fiberglassed on the front and sides. I need to get my engine straightened out just a bit more so I can do the stall turns without the flame outs and I'll be fine. c.g. is fine and it tracks very nice straight and level. Looking forward to getting to know it better.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Picking up one from a friend who doesn't like it?????. He is a premier builder and it is mint. I wanted it without his equipment so I could switch to gas and upgrade the servos. I'm going to go with an SV26 gas engine and I'm also thinking of going with smoke. It's been over 10 years since I had smoke in anything, but this plane just begs it. Shouldn't take to long to equip her. I have wanted one since they came out.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 AM
elderair

Mine is flying beautifully with the 29cc Canaday engine. No 3-D plane at all, but flat spins and snaps all day long. I need to go with a smaller tank. The 16 oz. I put in will run about 20 minutes with the 29cc sippin gas. I have 8611's in the tail and a 8611a for the rudder up front and 4721 metal gear conversions in the ailerons. Radio South Pro hinges on all surfaces. I think I will add my smoke now. I am at 12.9lb without the smoke. Doesn't fly heavy at all. I had a few dead sticks at first and it came right in fine. Just a bit tail heavy but nice. Tracks straight also. Real head turner with the gasser jammin.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:11 PM
ram3500-RCU

Yea, this one has a 24oz tank and I have to re plumb for gas anyway, so I was going to drop down to 16 oz as well. I like to have a little reserve. He also had JR standard servos in it and that will never do for me. I'm looking forward to it. I test flew one for a guy who had a G26 in his and really liked how it flew. Knife edge all day. The SV26 rear inducted with reed valves and electronic ignition should do better with less weight, I think.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:19 PM
kochj

yep
Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
elderair

Been flying my Monster quite a bit lately. Landed the other day with the high rates on elev. and stalled it about a foot off the runway. Throttled up a bit and almost caught it. Lucky I was on a soft grass strip and no prop break. Just a ground loop, nose over and upper right wing tip contact. I had to carefully peel the covering off the top of the upper wing tip and glue a couple cracked tip plate formers and then re heat the covering. Not perfect but sufficient. My fault totally. You can't pull lots of up on any plane close to stall speed on landing or you get what I got. Bit!! Engine is running strong and I have been flat spinning the @#@! out of this thing. Overall I am very pleased with the flight characteristics and looks of this thing in the air. Nice airplane. Too bad they are extinct. The Cox looks nice also.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 AM
ride81

Hello I just received this plane on a trade and am planning on making it my new project. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a new cowl, canopy, and pants. They are pretty beat up and cut up and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could get those replacements or similar parts that will work. Longterm plans is to recover to look like #25 Chatmans Pitts, and I would also like to put a gasser in it. Thanks for the help.
Garrett
Old 09-11-2008, 04:13 PM
elderair

You will like it with a gasser. I have about 30 flights on my Goldberg with a 29cc Goped converted by Jack Canaday. It won't pull up out of a hover very well but it does all the classic biplane maneuvers and does it on very little fuel. It weighs in at 12.9 lb and is swinging a 18X6 Xoar wood prop at 8200 rpm. One of the SPE 28's or CRRC Pro 26cc's etc. should be great on it. You could get a cowl for a Aeroworks Python. My Python and my Monster have approx 9.5 inch dia. cowl. I can't be exact without taking them apart. You can call Rocco and have him measure one for you. I think it will work. Pants are a bit too large though. I am getting ready to sell my Monster to get another 50cc plane. It is a great smaller biplane though. Flat spins awesome. I even survived two dead stick landings without a scratch on the plane. That was when I was first dialing in the gasser. It is great now and I throttle it down to idle when I do my spins. Throttles right up and flies away. Hope this info helps.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: ride81

Hello I just received this plane on a trade and am planning on making it my new project. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a new cowl, canopy, and pants. They are pretty beat up and cut up and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could get those replacements or similar parts that will work. Longterm plans is to recover to look like #25 Chatmans Pitts, and I would also like to put a gasser in it. Thanks for the help.
Garrett
Don't know about the parts, but I put an SV 26cc gasser in mine and it is a great little engine for a total of $193 new including shipping. It is rear inducted unlike the others mentioned yealding about more power with less weight.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
ride81

Thanks for the info on the motors...elderair my cowl measures right at 8 3/4 in diameter, and the manual I found calls it a 8 1/4 diameter cowl. I found a place that has close diameters, but short on length...about 9 5/8 is what I got. I really like that aeroworks cowl too so thanks. What about a 3 blade prop? Anyone using one? If you have time, I'd love to see some pics of your planes. Thanks for the help...I will try and get some pics of the fuse on here, pull most of the covering off yesterday...speaking of, whats the best way to get the small leftovers...sand them off or is there a solvent?? Thanks again.
Garrett
Old 09-12-2008, 02:11 PM
elderair

I measured the length of the Aeroworks cowl and it is 9.5" and the width is at least 9". You would have a slight air gap at the rear of the cowl which would be fine for airflow and you could just add 1/8" shims to all of the cowl mounts or what ever it took to make it even. You could even go crazy and take a tapered section out leaving the nose bowl alone and glass it back together. Here are some pics that I have probably posted on here before and a few new ones with the Aeroworks. You will want to move the elevator servos to the tail like I did for the gasser. Just add a couple strips on the inside to box in the servo. My batteries wound up just aft of the lower wing saddle for balance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43432.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1031857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11873.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1031858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20130.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1031859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13127.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1031860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38004.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1031861  
Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 PM
GasDoc
My Feedback: (15)

Anybody know where I could find a replacement cowl for mine? I sold the YS 140 and am putting an OS 1.60 FX in it......
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM
GasDoc

Anybody willing to sell a cowl?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:02 PM
twin3d

You might be able to find one at fiberglass specialties.

I bought one of these just recentley at a Hobby Shop here in Ohio. It had been sitting on the shelf for almost a year. They didn't even know how much it originaly was, I was able to snag it for 300 plus tax. I plan on modifying it some and using it to compete in Fun Scale. I will post a few pictures to show you what I am doing to scale it up a little. So far it is turing out really well.

Mike
Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 PM
twin3d

Just wanted to put a few pictures up of my project in trying to scale this plane up a little. Here are a few pictures. My first issue I had to work on was trying to keep the cowl scale. I didn't want to hack a big hole in the bottom for the cooling. So in looking at the full scale i discovered that it has an air outlet in the bottom between the landing gear. So I made mine in the same place. It was not to hard to do just took a little figuring out.

The other thing I did not like was the stock tail wheel, so I bought one from Ohio R/C. It is a lot closer to the real thing than the one that came with the model. I will keep everyone updated as I go.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53870.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1086390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91460.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1086391  
Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM
GasDoc

Yeah I tried finding a cowl at fiberglass specialties, but he needs one to make a mold of.
So I'm still stuck. Someone's gotta have an extra cowl they don't need!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:41 PM
twin3d

You may have already done this, but have you tried looking at the Goldberg site at the discontinued section and then contact them to see if they might still have a few parts instock. The part number is 120881 and I think it is around 50 bucks. I somewhat curious as well I will do some more looking and will let you know if I find anything.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.