Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Tamiya Fire Dragon thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 AM
coxbros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Tamiya Fire Dragon thread

I really have an itch for the re-released Fire Dragon. My cousin had a Thundershot back in the late 80's and I have dug that chassis ever since. The price is reasonable from Tower with the discounts. Full set of bearings from Ebay is $12.00 w/shipping. Sport Tuned motor would be a classic addition. I would have to pull that scam and not let my wife know, but I'm thinking of getting one coming. Also, I never realized that the Dirt Thrasher looks like a decent car. Same basic platform as the Top Force Evolution, but those are way out there on Ebay.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Official Tamiya Fire Dragon thread

So start doing some research and post pics of the Fire Dragon here then.. or it wouldn't be so official...

Looking forward to the build!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:59 AM
coxbros

I know I sound stupid, but don't know how to post pics on here.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Toonz

i've never had this chassis.

is there any specific difference between the re-re thundershot and fire dragon besides the 4 shocks?

my shop here sells the thunder at a lower price than the fire cos the fire is a new arrival model.

i like the thunder cos the driver is attached to the interior cover and it has a cooler body shell but i like the fire for the 4 shocks.....

which one is a better deal?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM
coxbros

You can still buy the thundershot? How much is the kit?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Lunchboxer

Hmm.. stay on topic?!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67470.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	921606  
Old 04-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Starkweather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone beat me to it! Will be ordering this soon and doing an extremelyt loud green paint job. Anyone have a pic of the chassis?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Starkweather

Seriously, someone has to have a good picture of the chassis design. This will be my first re-re, (my super clod buster doesn't count, HA!) where does this thing stand in the timeline with the hotshot?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:06 PM
gman1

To tell you the truth, there are only a couple of tamiya re release kits that i would buy. The Fire dragon not being one of them. The chassis and all of it's components are too outdated for my taste. A large majority of the people who will buy this kit most likely wont be running it, but will be using it as a shelf queen (display piece.) I made the mistake of buying the rereleased subaru brat and manta ray, both of which lacked in performance and was a big waste of money. Luckily i was able to get rid of them. I would consider this mistake a rookie decision.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:12 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: gman1

To tell you the truth, there are only a couple of tamiya re release kits that i would buy. The Fire dragon not being one of them. The chassis and all of it's components are too outdated for my taste. A large majority of the people who will buy this kit most likely wont be running it, but will be using it as a shelf queen (display piece.) I made the mistake of buying the rereleased subaru brat and manta ray, both of which lacked in performance and was a big waste of money. Luckily i was able to get rid of them. I would consider this mistake a rookie decision.
Some people buy them for nostalgia or just having fun. I don't know why you'd buy a rerelease of a old buggy and expect top performance of it.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Starkweather

ORIGINAL: gman1

If you expected to win races with a manta ray, then yeah, rookie mistake. The reason I want a Fire Dragon is I think it looks cool, and from what I have heard on the chassis, it's typical indestrucitble Tamiya fair. I want to paint it to look the way I want, and take it out to a park to have fun. The word "performance" is subjective. A TRF 501X has high performance on a track, but carbon fiber doesn't like crashes too much. Match the car/truck for the terrain right?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Starkweather

Well SCREW IT! The Fire Dragon and bearings are on the way!

Shall we make this a duel build thread?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM
billdee

looks like a great build,with bearings and a nice motor should make it a great basher.getting one also
Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Starkweather

We'll see how we do with the silver can. When I was younger and into this hobby back in the day speed was what was important. Now I just like strong materials, scale design (in the case of trucks anyway) and fun. I won't be able to control extreme speed in the woods and parks and my own yard where I drive my stuff anyway. In fact I put a 55t motor in my CC truck to slow it down and give it more grunt up the hills.

I'm pretty excited to build this thing, I'll post pics and soon as it arrives!

Anyone else in?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Starkweather

Here's the original promo video for the thundershot, on which the fire dragon is based. The Dragon obviously has a more desireable front suspension. Notice the ground clearance on the thing, MUCH higher that modern buggies. I noticed the ride height can be raised even more, should be a better basher than my DF-03 because of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsgS5du4o7I
Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Revotrx3
Banned

Iam sorry but it looks to much like a toy rc than a hobby grade rc.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Starkweather

ORIGINAL: trev3813

Iam sorry but it looks to much like a toy rc than a hobby grade rc.
Hey whatever blows your skirt up right? I think you'd be suprised. Well stick around for the build anyway!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
coxbros

I'm jealous, you beat me to it. Where did you get your car and bearings? Don't let them tell you it is junk, it is a quality piece. I love my Hotshot, love it. Drove it today and it performed excellent. New batteries will be in tomorrow and I'm going to 10 cells. On a 14 turn motor it should run pretty strong. I'm hoping to get my Fire Dragon this week, cross your fingers.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:29 PM
coxbros

ORIGINAL: Starkweather

Seriously, someone has to have a good picture of the chassis design. This will be my first re-re, (my super clod buster doesn't count, HA!) where does this thing stand in the timeline with the hotshot?
Thundershot came out sometime in 87', Hotshot in 85'.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Starkweather

ORIGINAL: coxbros

I'm jealous, you beat me to it. Where did you get your car and bearings? Don't let them tell you it is junk, it is aquaality piece. I love my Hotshot, love it. Drove it today and it performed excellent. New batteries will be in tomorrow and I'm going to 10 cells. On a 14 turn motor it should run pretty strong. I'm hoping to get my Fire Dragon this week, cross your fingers.
I already know it'd a quality piece, it's a Tamiya! I think the design on this model is cool, and I want another bash buggy. It may not handle like a 501X, but I bet it survives crashes and rough driving better! I don't wail on any of my cars TOO hard, and I keep them looking new, but I like to have fun!

I got the kit from tower, and got the 22 piece bearing set from ebay SHIPPED! That's a nice deal!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Starkweather

Well the dragon should be here late this week, just in time for the weekend. Hopefully the bearings will be in by that time too. I'll have to go to the LHS this weekend to grab some paint, I don't have the colors I need. Actually I have something in my head, but once I get to the shop it may get even more nuts. One things for sure, it ain't gonna be red!

Wonder what the mearsurements are on the shocks? Wonder if the TRF or 3racing shocks for the DF-03 will work?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Starkweather

It has arrived!!! Pics in a few!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Starkweather

Here we are. Looks like the original box art, with a manual speed control? Say it aint't so! It aint! ESC included!

Name:	By76336.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	926164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83475.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	926165  
Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Starkweather

Couple more. Bearings aren't here yet, but I can at least get started on the diffs!

Name:	Pn37919.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	926170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27441.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	926171  
Old 04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Lunchboxer

Nice! I like the look of the wheels and tires!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Oh yeah, to those who was disappointed by re-re -> I think you should expect a 20+ yrs old design to be not so competitive compare to a modern car, no?!

But anyway, let's get back to Fire Dragon!! Looking forward to the build!!

Looks like it comes w/ the TEU-101! Nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.