Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Speed Freaks Wanted- Over 200 Members already !

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Speed Freaks Wanted- Over 200 Members already !

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Tim G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speed Freaks Wanted- Over 150 Members already !

Short clip of Randy's delta.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/mvp/videolink.cfm?postid=5202
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Fxrs_tim

I've been lurking in this forum for too long, so it's time to confess...

My name is Tim, and I am a Speed Plane Addict.
I have been a Lover of Speed Planes for 30+ years.
With the help of the Revvers Brother-hood I hope to
make my planes even FASTER !!!

Current speed plane is a Viper w/ a Nelson Q500 SS.
I've got a Tiporare (old school ballistic pattern plane) that's going to get my Jett 90L
as soon as I get off my rear end and start building...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 PM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

Another good confession!
Sign him up dave!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Tiporare? Those are garbage, and outdated you need to send it to me so I can recycle it:

Here is my address! Just kidding...

You are LUCKY!

Welcome to the Revvers---
Old 04-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Fxrs_tim

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Tiporare? Those are garbage, and outdated you need to send it to me so I can recycle it:

Here is my address! Just kidding...

You are LUCKY!

Welcome to the Revvers---

I guess I won't tell you about the MK Curare that's 3/4 built, or the Super Curare that I just got (for $30!!)..... Both of those are getting RF-P 61s, so they should scoot pretty well too. I've been really fortunate to find all of them at really good prices (especially after seeing prices on the *bay lately). I've got a YS110 that's looking for a home too - I'm thinking a WM Mustang might be the right place.

With all of the Revvers out there in Cali, I might just have to schedule a road trip. I used to fly some seriously fast slope stuff when I was on the left coast, and REALLY miss that. Maybe a week of bouncing between Parker Mtn and the dry lake beds would give me the speed fix for a bit!

Rev on brothers!!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim,
Those guys have a great time. I've made the trip twice and gained a few great friends from it. There is a goof day coming up in a few weeks if you are serious.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Fxrs_tim

ORIGINAL: vicman

Tim,
Those guys have a great time. I've made the trip twice and gained a few great friends from it. There is a goof day coming up in a few weeks if you are serious.
It's going to have to be later this summer or fall for me, but I'd love to make an event! We have a couple guys at work who have babies due late summer (well, their wives do!), and they're each planning to be gone for extended periods which makes it hard for the rest of us to get time off. Hopefully I can get away for a bit tho.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 PM
vicman

Razor, do you have anything to put an engine in?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....Fxrs_tim....welcome to the Revvers....[sm=thumbup.gif]

Rever Bro #216 is yours. [8D]

Rev on, my Brothers.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Razor-RCU

Hey Vic! Well I have my old Whiplash, my VERY abused Patriot and the Supra Fly-45, I also have the Phenom but it got wet at one point so I Need to give it a good once over...I had sold most of my engines but I am making a comeback-

I just ordered that Super Bobcat from Nitro-Models today. The 25 sized one, planning on using my Proptop Webra-50 in there...

Also thank goodness (now) that noone bought my 2M Eclipse Pattern Plane/ YS-1.40L combo. Petec has the YS right now getting it squared away for me so I may fly that thing yet!

Wayne and I also might have a little something going on...we'll see what happens.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Hi, my name is edward and I am a Speed Plane Addict.
I have been a Lover of Speed Planes for....many years
and with the help of the Revver s Brother-hood I hope to
make my planes even FASTER !!!
Don't let my wife/girlfriend see this....I promised her I
would "tame it down a bit".

ive been a speed freak for years, but now the speed bug bit me again, and i started with the budget friedly La Racer and a Rossi 45

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55720.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	924807  
Old 04-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Razor-RCU

All hail- Enter the Revvers Brotherhood Sandman! Good to have ya...

Great call-name....I should have chosen "Voo-Doo Child" (Hendrix) or something like "Lead Zeppelin" (since the stuff I fly is HEAVY. maybe 'The Wall' since it doubles as a 3D maneuver and a Pink Floyd album...

Metallica is one of the greatest bands in history, along with a couple I mentioned...
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....Welcome to the Brotherhood, MetallicaJunkie. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Revver Bro #217 is yours.

Rev on, my Brothers.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

All hail- Enter the Revvers Brotherhood Sandman! Good to have ya...

Great call-name....I should have chosen "Voo-Doo Child" (Hendrix) or something like "Lead Zeppelin" (since the stuff I fly is HEAVY. maybe 'The Wall' since it doubles as a 3D maneuver and a Pink Floyd album...

Metallica is one of the greatest bands in history, along with a couple I mentioned...

Yes, all of the above are Great Razor

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

....Welcome to the Brotherhood, MetallicaJunkie. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Revver Bro #217 is yours.

Rev on, my Brothers.
glad to be aboard FBD
Old 04-08-2008, 07:21 AM
vicman

Welcome to the mahem MJ. [8D]

How much does the rossi do for your LA?. I am racing C40 also and modded a TT.46 to see what I could do. The engine pulled a 9x8 at 17.5 on the ground and unloaded crazy in flight but the plane wasn't much faster than one with the spec TT.40. I have had this happen with other models where the airframe will only go so fast and the engine is just churning air. I was wondering if you had the same experience?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Razor-RCU

Wow Vic- That is about what my Old Jett-50 and West-50 turned a 9x8 apc. That is impressive!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
vicman

I don't say it too loudly since the 424 guys start looking at me kinda queer, as our engines are presumed box stock.
I want to state publicly that I don't mod my race engines other than the muffler bolt fix, bearing replacement, and carb spring removal just in case anyone is stalking me.

Otherwise the TT .46 is a prime candidate for one of my Magnums. I hope to have it finished for our speed rally on June 28.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
skull1971

don't let my wife/girlfriend see this.
So you have one of each,, WOW I can't afford one.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 AM
mike the snake

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all about speed.

My name's Mike and I'm a speed addict. I hope to be getting a 40 sized pylon racer here soon. I have a 200mph electric pylon racer, but my fast planes are gliders. I converted the racer to a glider and went even faster (217mph)

I went 244mph yesterday at sea level, my best at SL is 272mph. My PB is 297mph in Socal. I hope to take the world speed record for ALL model aircraft sometime soon (presently 313mph set with another glider) Dynamic Soaring.

Flying this fast is brutal. Still though, I'm striving for top speeds with my power planes as well.

Looking to go fast with RC gas boats as well.

I've learned a lot about going REALLY fast, a LOT of it applies to any plane going fast (like flutter and airframe mods, proper installation of servos and linkages) and I'd be happy to share any tips or answer any questions.

We've taken F5D electric pylon racers, and with very special layups they have gone over 250mph as gliders.
These same planes as electric literally blow up in the air.

There's a LOT more to going fast than a bigger engine.

Anyone here going for any speed records?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 AM
I-Love-Jets

ORIGINAL: mike the snake

I hope to take the world speed record for ALL model aircraft sometime soon (presently 313mph set with another glider) Dynamic Soaring.

Anyone here going for any speed records?

Well, speed records are only valid if covered by certain international rules to make them comparable. Dynamic Soaring speeds derived by radar gun for instance cannot be compared to the acknowledged FAI based speeds.

Sustaining top speed over a certain ”long“ straight line distance is the key factor!

Over here in Germany there’s a growing community of serious speed freaks. During the annual European Speed Cup, which strictly follows the FAI rule book, a fully automated photo-electrically triggered speed trap is used.

The future of R/C speed flight most probably will show, that electric powered speed planes become more and more dominant over the top line IC-powered planes, that means the .60 class. In other words, it is much more difficult and much more challenging to set a new nitro-record than an electric record.

Please see below thread for instance and please use the search machine (key words e.g. FAI, purpose built, OPS):

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37..._1/key_/tm.htm

Also check out the German speed forum:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168

Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
jetdryvr

So, Why would'nt someone take a DS plane and put 4500 watts in, a 7 X 11 prop and get the 300mph prop pitch speed motocalc computes? Since they go over 300mph all the time it should be easy.

Hmmmmmm.

There are some other people working on fast stuff and I think it will get more fun and we''ll be doing some more equivalents to the "Speed cup"
Erik
Old 04-15-2008, 10:01 PM
vicman

Mike, sounds like you are a pretty fast dude and know various ways to get there. Cool stuff for sure.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:01 AM
I-Love-Jets

ORIGINAL: jetdryvr

So, Why would''nt someone take a DS plane and put 4500 watts in, a 7 X 11 prop and get the 300mph prop pitch speed motocalc computes? ...

Hmmmmmm.

There are some other people working on fast stuff and I think it will get more fun and we''''ll be doing some more equivalents to the "Speed cup"
Erik
Hello Erik,

it is not that simple - alas!

You have to use an airframe design that is optimised for the F3S straight line pattern. For instance the dynamic soaring specific wings do not come with the appropriate airfoil for this subject. Also the wing’s aspect ratio has to be altered to gain as much top speed as possible through the 300 m distance of the straight line section.

Further problem: The fuselage of dynamic soaring related designs is not big enough to fit all needed batteries. For that – if possible - you have to integrate the batteries into the wing within the COG as near to the fuse center line as possible.

Last not least the wing load has to be kept below 75 grams/dm^2.

So we can see that besides special airframe designs for the glow powered planes, a refined aerodynamic layout is required for the electric powered speed planes as well - matching the FAI F3S class specific demands.

ORIGINAL: jetdryvr

Since they go over 300mph all the time it should be easy.
Well the term Dynamic Soaring speaks for itself:

"Dynamic" in this case means that the effect of cumulating (or collecting) kinetic energy by using the potential energy of wind and gravity does need some time. Let''s take a look at the dynamic soaring videos, they need some time to reach maximum speed. Sometimes several minutes. [:@]

The FAI F3S course on the other hand is completely objective for speed recording attempts, since no (complex) function of windspeed and gravity over a long-time-intervall has to be considered.

P.S. There are attempts over here to power a purpose built electric speed plane with up to 10 KW of power [sm=bananahead.gif]. Probably not this years speed cup, but hopefully next year this electric monster will show impressive speed improvements. The airframe is already finished - it is a really big bird compared to anything else of known electric speed designs. Such a large but still super clean and refined airframe is needed for a simple reason: visibility

Old 04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Easystern

P.S. There are attempts over here to power a purpose built electric speed plane with up to 10 KW of power . Probably not this years speed cup, but hopefully next year this electric monster will show
more info on that 10 KW monster would be nice [)]

is it like my new voodoo from meggit 3 zyl. 155 HP and top speed of 355 mph [)]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14055.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	931306  
Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM
kiosk
My Feedback: (14)

Hi, I am relatively new to R/C planes. I currently own 3 airplanes GP Revolver with 75OS AX, Seagul Dual Ace twin engine (OS 55AX) and a H9 p51 150 (recently crashed!)

I want to get a plane for speed but looking for recommendation on model/engine combo, I was looking at the scale Sundowner model, can someone point me to post where I can get some advice or help on model/engine combos? something like 100-120mph I would be happy with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.