Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Touring Car Decision MADE!!!! UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
spartan117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Car Decision MADE!!!! UPDATED

Hi,
I am going to be buying a new touring car in a few days and I was hoping to garner some opinions. I will be purchasing a LRP 3.5T BL system and a cheapbatterypacks Elite 4800Lipo.
I just wanted to know everyones opinion on the cars I am considering. I do not want to spend over 500 for the car kit.

My current considerations so far are as follow:
[ul][*] Hot Bodies Cyclone Andy Moore Worlds Edition $469.99[*] Robitronic Avid $419.99[*] Serpent S400 $439.95[*] X-Ray T2'008 Team Touring Car Kit, 6-cell Foam Tire Edition $489.95
[/ul]

Please let me know if you think any of these cars would not be good for outdoor track racing on foam tires.

Also can you please tell me a good gear ratio for the car on a 3.5T motor with foam tires. I do not need to know pinion and spur sizes I just want to know what sort of ratio I should shoot for.

Currently I am leaning towards the Cyclone or the Avid as they seem to be competent cars and Tower Hobbies is offering a $30 of coupon for orders.

Thanks
Spartan117
Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM
XBGM3R

Default RE: Touring Car Decisions

I see, why not you go to ebay, you can find the excellent used TC cars there!?

Good Luck
Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 PM
spartan117

I'm looking for new as I enjoy building the cars. I am also planning on doing a time lapse build hehe.

Spartan117
Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 PM
cheech4

of the choices listed, Xray t2-008 all the way. there winning alot of big races.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:26 PM
spartan117

I don't know now. I have been really considering the avid. It has done decently and with the tower hobbies coupon it will be 390.

I was hoping you would chime in cheech as I highly value your opinion as I have seen you give some good advice.

I think I might steer clear of the xray now as that will be the most expensive car by 100 dollars. The avid looks like a nice performer and I wont be racing against any X-rays. My competition will be mostly FT TC4s and maybe some Tamiyas and probably a TC5 or two.

Thanks Again,
Spartan117
Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Adamg-RCU

How about my four month old 008US for $360? Raced on carpet (no scratches), diffs feel like new, I'll include a few spare parts.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 AM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: spartan117

I don't know now. I have been really considering the avid. It has done decently and with the tower hobbies coupon it will be 390.

I was hoping you would chime in cheech as I highly value your opinion as I have seen you give some good advice.

I think I might steer clear of the xray now as that will be the most expensive car by 100 dollars. The avid looks like a nice performer and I wont be racing against any X-rays. My competition will be mostly FT TC4s and maybe some Tamiyas and probably a TC5 or two.

Thanks Again,
Spartan117
thank you for the compliment, but the truth speaking here, the avid looks good. but after looking at an xray in person at a track, i bought 2.. i have a T2 and a T2R.. call me an xray fan if you want but the quality in these xray's is second to none, perfect would be the 1 word to describe these RC.. not taking anything from the avid it looks good, but IMO parts support will be a problem, many LHS will not stock there stuff. also xrays are known to take abuse and keep racing, i dont know if the durability in an avid is as good as an xray.. sure your paying more for the car but i feel that it is a better car..
Old 04-09-2008, 04:50 AM
spartan117

Parts support is totally out the window on any of the cars listed. The LHS I used to work at only had AE TC stuff, and not much of that.

Adamg-RCU: I think I am looking for the EU version as I wont be racing carpet.

Thanks a Ton,
Spartan117
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
mkoresh12

I don't have an xray but from what I've heard, if you can afford one get one. I have not heard anything bad about any xray, from the micros to the nitros its seems everyone has nothing but good things to say about them(except the price of them anyway). I can't comment on the others since I have not seen any of them in action.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:13 PM
spartan117

I just ordered the Hot Bodies Cyclone Moorespeed Worlds Edition from Tower Hobbies using the $30 off coupon. I also purchased a Speed Passion Gran Turismo V1.1 ESC and Speed Passion 2.5T motor from http://www.ultralinehobbies.com/ . I also ordered an Elite 4800mah 2-cell Li-Po from www.cheapbatterypacks.com . I will be using Trinity 12 gauge wire and Castle 6.5mm bullet connectors. I am looking for suggestions on gearing for this setup. The internal ratio is 2.4375:1 and the kit comes with a 100 tooth spur so if I can make use of this spur I would like to.

Please any gearing help would be greatly appreciated.

Spartan117
Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Adamg-RCU

Default RE: Touring Car Decision MADE!!!! UPDATED

2.5t?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Adamg-RCU

2.5t?
Yep.

Threadstarter-Your no beginner are you? I'd hate to see you waste all of that money and lose interest in racing to wreck on every turn.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 PM
spartan117

No,
I am no beginner. I have been in the hobby for 7 years. I even worked at a Hobbytown USA for a while. Oh and I no longer need gearing advice as I found out I will need a ratio of 11 to 12. I have been using 7 turn motors in touring cars and I have driven 3.5t BL/Lipo setups. Also to get used to the power there is a thing called expo and travel hehe. I can always tone it down some when I first get it. I'm not an idiot that will floor it and go right into a barrier when coming out of a turn. I plan on getting at least a month worth of practice and setup time before my first race with this new setup. The ESC I ordered also has a really nice programming box that allows you to not only retard the timing on the motor, but also the ESC itself. The speed control can also create an extremely soft start so I do not think it will be a problem if it is a little much.

Thanks For the Concern,
Spartan117
Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 AM
BRUSSER

Excuse my ignorance, i have this electric car 1/10 from Hobby Engine and same have a 540 motor with a mechanical esc;
i have spare a Duratrax Sprint esc and a Photon 20 x 1 motor like i said excuse my ignorance; can i replace the stock motor from this car and use what i have spare in stock. appreciate any help on this issue im new on this and wiling to learn and experiment.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BRUSSER

Excuse my ignorance, i have this electric car 1/10 from Hobby Engine and same have a 540 motor with a mechanical esc;
i have spare a Duratrax Sprint esc and a Photon 20 x 1 motor like i said excuse my ignorance; can i replace the stock motor from this car and use what i have spare in stock. appreciate any help on this issue im new on this and wiling to learn and experiment.
As long as it's 20t or more.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:25 PM
BRUSSER

IN THE OTHER HAND CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN ME THE DIFERENCE BETWEN A 540 MOTOR AND A 20X1 MOTOR I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE AVERAGE OF TURNS A 540 MOTOR HAVE. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IM NEW ON THIS AND WILLING TO LEARN AND EXPERIMENT WITH MY CARS.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:40 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: spartan117

No,
I am no beginner. I have been in the hobby for 7 years. I even worked at a Hobbytown USA for a while. Oh and I no longer need gearing advice as I found out I will need a ratio of 11 to 12. I have been using 7 turn motors in touring cars and I have driven 3.5t BL/Lipo setups. Also to get used to the power there is a thing called expo and travel hehe. I can always tone it down some when I first get it. I'm not an idiot that will floor it and go right into a barrier when coming out of a turn. I plan on getting at least a month worth of practice and setup time before my first race with this new setup. The ESC I ordered also has a really nice programming box that allows you to not only retard the timing on the motor, but also the ESC itself. The speed control can also create an extremely soft start so I do not think it will be a problem if it is a little much.

Thanks For the Concern,
Spartan117
That Speed Passion sounds nice. I might choose that ESC with a Orion Vortex.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
spartan117

I'm starting to have second thoughts on the Speed Passion. I went to run it in sensored motor with their motor and it would not run from a standstill when sensored. I then proceeded to run it at like 10mph for 3 or 4 minutes and it just died. I smelled a little bit of burning electronic smell and now it won't even respond. The Schumacher representative on rctech.net seems to be little testy on believing I had this problem so it looks like I might have thrown the money down the drain.

If Schumacher doesn't do anything about my problem I will simply file a BBB claim and never buy a Schumacher product again. I have always had instant replacements on any defective computer products I have ever bought (I build computers). I just hope this doesn't turn into a nightmare.

I just hope I don't have to switch back to the LRP Sphere TC-Spec I have in another car. If I went back to the sphere I would be out 280 as it was 90 bucks for the motor and 190 for speed control. There is nothing wrong with the motor, although I will not be able to run it with the TC-Spec so it will be worthless.

I Sure Hope ABailey on rctech comes through for me as I would hope not to have wasted 280 dollars on Speed Passion components,
Spartan117