Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

fs racing 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Abraxxas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fs racing 4wd?

Keep smiling man. The glass is half full.
It's true that everyone gets burned, but you learn from your mistakes and try not to let it happen again (and take the advice of those that have been burned).
Sounds like my glass is only half full lol, kid I don't have time to give you advise on life but grow up. I will smile all day and yes there is other junk available other then the HPI or the MCD but thats what everyone on here seems to thinks there clones of just because there from China. Anyways this is getting to point were it has nothing to do with the topic at hand so thanks to our good friend CAL-TORQUE this tread is starting to die fast and it was a good start so I will man up and hopefully the simple mineded individual will do the same.

and take the advice of those that have been burned
Just because you were dumb enough to buy from an overseas company doesn't mean we all are , and you say my glass is half full ? lol Just for you Big Guy )
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
lbsickboy

well thats that then move

i got my fs this weekend apart from the customs im a happy fellow puting new servos in checked every thing a few screws lose but for the rest picobelo so just waiting for the post now for the servos and im off cant wait any one els got one and what are they doing
im thinking of getting the fg baja wheels and the asgard body color flu pink and carbon radio tray
let me know thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Abraxxas

lbsickboy what model FS did you get the buggy, car or truck 2 or 4 wheel?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
lbsickboy

i got me self a mt 4wd if i went 2wd then i could of gone with an other fg and that was not my goal i realy wanted mcd but could not wait so thats the reason for the fs 4wd and a happy fs owner to
Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Cal-Torque

ORIGINAL: Abraxxas
kid I don't have time to give you advise on life but grow up
OMG You are an idiot.
I've been trying to offer you good advice, and you've turned it into a personal attack.
Simple minded? Look in the mirror, and take a look at your posts.
I'll be notifying admin.
If you don't want objective and educated opinions, and are just looking for fan boys, then go away.
Pathetic...
Foxy, ban this goof.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:46 AM
hypnopaul

Hello Ive just got an fs 4wd touring car from oversize rc. It took a long time coming, but its here so after looking at the car it all seemed ok, but then I started checking, a few things you should look at first - the transmiter is like a kids toy so Ive changed that, next the throttle servo was also no good - very slow and so Ive replaced that, the steering servo screws where to small for the holes - so you could just pull it out. Apart from these points it all seems ok. Oh one more thing the exhaust gasket leaked a little.
I ran the first tank of fuel last night - seems ok, but a bit slugesh but havent tuned it yet. The car drives really well and within ten miniuts a crowed had gatherd, anyway Ill let you all know what its like when run in, but if you do get one please check it well first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60462.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	935881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35931.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	935882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95164.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	935883  
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 AM
lbsickboy

hi did you check everything screws and bolts use a good lock tight also if i was you i would check the suspension because it was all set up wrong check the spacer between the wishbones here is a link to check in detail http://www.mcdeurope.de/index.php?op...d=29&Itemid=37
down load the file look at every little detail

also the gaskets are ok but you have to tighten them good i prefer the fg gaskets and the wheels their is to much play in the wheel hubs 1.5 mm they fit over the square and that's also why they bend plus the wheel is to to thin going to change them if one breacks

still waiting for the new servos from ddm
Old 04-25-2008, 05:00 AM
like2race

Hey all I just received my 4wd MT looks like i have a few alterations to by the looks of this thread.Havent run it yet No time [&o] will update as I go
Old 04-26-2008, 03:48 AM
bentley marshall

i have just picked up a fs rally car second hand very little use have spent most of the week end doing full strip down and fitting a cy engine regreasing the diffs, replacing shock oil ,adding a second steering servo checking every thing is ok and tight

a few things i found when doing it.. the bearings in the hubs were all shaged cheap china junk will replace the all with good stuff
one rear hub had wrong size bearing (center hole was to big for shaft[:-] )

apart from that the rest of the car looks good
just got to wait till monday to get some new bearings and it will be all go
Old 04-26-2008, 03:58 AM
lbsickboy

hi just make sure that you use the mcd catalog to cross reference it helps alot will you be posting pics
Old 04-26-2008, 04:08 AM
lbsickboy

hi hypnopaul that looks [8D]sweet its a good job that you took the servos out it would be apity to reck the car and my bearings were ok but i havent got my servos yet so not a chance to give it a test drive[:'(][]
Old 04-26-2008, 01:20 PM
pwaicon

I figured I would share my thoughts on the FS. I picked up a slightly used on road version from a fellow forum member for an excellent price. To be honest I wasn’t really looking for an on road car, but for $450 I had to give it a try. I do own an MCD Baja 1000 and was looking forward to comparing the two. Overall they are very similar, but the FS is not an exact copy. It appears you should be able to use MCD parts on the FS, but when it comes to the drive train, be prepared to change out more than the broken piece, if you choose to use MCD parts for the repair. The FS drive train is identical to the MCD in layout only. The gears are not interchangeable. If you decide to change any component of the FS drive train to MCD you will more than likely have to change another as well. For example if you wanted to use MCD gears, you will have to change all the components on the gear plate to MCD parts. That conversion alone will cost you over $300. Also the gear and pinion used in the FS diff to not mesh and are in the opposite direction compared with the MCD gear and pinion. However, none of that will be an issue if you intend to use FS replacement parts. I decided to completely disassemble the car so I could inspect everything, since others have warned of loose and missing screws. The car is not bad I personally did not find any loose or missing screws. In fact all the screws that had metal to metal contact were a pain in the ass to get loose they used red locktite on everything. In my opinion, the fit and finish on the FS is no where near the quality of the MCD and I have an MCD so I can make this comment. One example is the out put drives on the diff. The FS has a little play in them before you tighten up the set screws and on my MCD there is no play whatsoever. Also the drive shafts on the MCD use a hex shape shaft so the drive blocks do not need set screws. While on the FS they choose not to take this extra step and instead have round shafts which require set screws on the drive blocks. Even some of the fasteners used on the FS seem to strip out a little too easy compared to other cars I have. Those are just an example of the little differences between the two and after owning an MCD, you come to appreciate those little differences. So, speaking on the overall fit and finish of the two vehicles the MCD wins hands down. With that being said, I wouldn’t say the FS is cheaply made, it appears solid. Now let me clarify my statement, when I say it appears solid I am strictly speaking about the car in its rolling chassis form. Does the FS have its flaws? Of course it does, but so does any car you buy. Would I pay $900-$1000 for the FS? No. If I was going to pay that price I would just assume purchase the Cyclone GT for $1150, a much better deal in my opinion. Again with that being said, if you can afford it get the MCD. After owning both I can tell you I have come to appreciate the little and no so little things MCD puts into their vehicles, the attention to details is worth the extra money in my opinion. I have yet to drive the FS car and put it through its paces, so I can not speak on its durability yet. Unfortunately, I will not being testing it in stock form. Since I had it completely apart I couldn’t resist making some changes. For the price I paid, I do not regret purchasing the FS it has been a fun project. I will shoot some video soon and be sure so share it with everyone. The following is a list of changes it did.

-Alloy servo tray (made myself)
-Alloy rear tank mounts (made myself)
-3 Hitec HS-5745MG servos (went with the double servo steering)
-Alloy center diff assembly
-Changed to sealed bearing thought
-MCD gas cap (example of fit and finish)
-Specktrum radio gear
-4200 receiver pack
-Steel MCD drive gears
-8000 RPM high response clutch
-DDM 29cc stuffed crank engine
-MCD gravel rally tires

Name:	Ec89539.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	937388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81470.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	937389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72487.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	937390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28219.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	937391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw17977.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	937392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy34944.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	937393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl95582.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	937394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml37842.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	937395  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh75504.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	937396  
Old 04-26-2008, 02:08 PM
lbsickboy

hi nice post pwaicon[8D]

i was also going to do that but you saved me some time anyway just 1? you know the wishbones well according to the mcd manual the red spacers(mcd alloy ones) between the wishbones are on the wrong way just like yours are in the photos or am i wrong i came across this with my mt and the wheels wouldn't turn so i went to the mcd manual and the set up from fs was not right i have changed them around now and now the wheels turn much better the only thing is that the front drive shafts neely touch the shock forks would this be a big issue can you enlighten me on that one please

thanks for your honest review as a current mcd owner

Old 04-26-2008, 03:27 PM
pwaicon

Yes, I have the MCD manual that you speak of. The way I look at it, it gives you the stock set up that MCD recommends. I was experimenting with the set up to see how close I could get the 510mm or the 535mm wheelbases used on the MCD’S. I am trying to get close to either one, because I am turning the FS into a rally car and I want to use one of the MCD bodies. I personally think the Peugeot body (the last picture) would look great on the FS. The below pictures shows my current set up which is around 515mm wheel base. If you look at the second picture you will notice the shock fork has a small washer installed to help eliminate the fork and the drive shaft from rubbing. I use this same suspension set up on my MCD, it seems to work the best for me, and I do not need the washer on the MCD (once again this helps illustrated the fit and finish I was referring to in my earlier post). Since we are on the suspension arms, I have a recommendation. The FS uses pins with e-clips on the upper arms I feel this allows for a little slop in the arm. The MCD uses a bolt set up. I will be changing the FS set up and using a bolt with nut instead. I feel this will enable me to tighten up on the suspension arm and thus eliminating the slight movement that now exists. As for the wheel movement I didn’t seem to have any problems with either of the setups I used. I hope I answered your question.

Name:	Sq46888.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	937468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54590.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	937469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44289.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	937470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27537.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	937471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz28512.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	937472  
Old 04-26-2008, 03:50 PM
lbsickboy

hi pwaicon
so what i understand the set up of the suspension spacers dose not matter much if so i would like to thank you for the help and info
and i know the rest of us fs owners will appreciate your contribution

Old 04-26-2008, 04:13 PM
pwaicon

I guess what I am trying to say is use the MCD manual as a guide to set up your car, but by all means try experimenting with the suspension set up and find out what works best for your driving style. I actual played with the set up for two hours before I decided on my current set up. Have fun with your truck and enjoy, just make sure you catch it on film and share it with the rest of us.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:21 PM
lbsickboy

yep will do
just wating for the servos from ddm but they are stuck in customs here in holland thats 6 days now i dont know what thay are doing may be rolling a joint or something like that ddm sent them on the 17-04 and no servos he cant do anything about it
so waiting waiting
Old 04-26-2008, 06:10 PM
like2race

Excellent write up and informative thanks for sharing . gives me a great insight on what to prepare for when things start to breakdown..
Old 04-26-2008, 11:13 PM
like2race

Hi i have read on a few posts on coil upgrading can any explain what is required and benifits ?? My FS is a 4WD MT with the 30cc engine
thanks in advance
Old 04-28-2008, 05:28 AM
like2race

Had my truck out ran it in and had about 2hrs of driving not too harsh in the driving as yet. Sill rolled it and smacked head on into a tree ..survived Had a wheel come off and a bit of heat damage to the plastic hub on the wheel and the hub of the truck .
Dont know what caused it though.. .still usable
Pin on tha wheel drive shaft was loose and jammed up the front wheel as were a few other screws I will locktite every thing for sure and star /spring washer the wheels
I see that the truck goes pretty Hard but the 30cc has been canned a bit here.Is there that much a difference in the power to the the 23cc
I can understand the 26 cc being better as it is a better make but still this one looks to go ok

Anyways heaps of fun had[)]
Old 04-28-2008, 06:18 AM
like2race

hi in your write up you used 3 x hitec servos and (servo plate are you selling them??) would you have the model no and wheres the best place to buy them

thanks in advance
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM
pwaicon

Like2race,
Yes, I am using 3 Hitec servos. I made the servo tray myself out of a sheet of aluminum I had. However, you could buy one that is made for an MCD I sure it would fit, It may of may not need slight modification. LargeScaleRc sells them they just seem to be out of stock at the moment. You also might want to check any local MCD dealers they might have some as well. Below are the links to LargeScaleRc.com.

[link]http://www.innovativehobby.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=254[/link]
[link]http://www.innovativehobby.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=292[/link]

Sorry, after reading your post again and someone else’s post I realized you were asking which servos I used and not about the servo tray. I am using 3x HS-5745MG servos, this is the same set up I use in my MCD MT and it works great.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
soundmaster
My Feedback: (2)

Doy ou have an electronic copy of the setup manual for the MCD I would like to look at it.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
lbsickboy

hi soundmaster were have ye been nice to see you again well i was trying the new air filter system and seting up the carb and the bloody thing wouldnt start **** i thougt no please this cant be true so looked around and check check check and i found their was a hole in the pipe so had to weld that up tyred it again and heypresto it came to life not enough back pressure i think well thats done now im looking for a bit of alloy so i can make the radio tray

Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
soundmaster
My Feedback: (2)

Lol i have been busy with work. I have also been struggling with the diffs on my FS monster. I broke both front and back so i have to replace them here soon. I was wondering if you have the setup list for the MCD truck i want to see where it compares to what i have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.