Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

RC8 or HYPER 8.5

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC8 or HYPER 8.5

Which one and why? This is my final before making a decision.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 PM
JamminRoger

Default RE: RC8 or HYPER 8.5

8.5 all the way. it is tough as nails and fast fast fast. I have had one for over a year now and It has not broke anything, is competitive with the losi and RC8 as far as speed through corners and straight speed, and was cheap. You can pick one up for around 400 bucks if you shop right.

Roger
Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

I also wanted to ask, I beleive the RC8 comes with a 10 model FM radio, It really doesent specify exactly what kind of radio the HYPER 8 RTR comes with, I think the radio plays a big roll as well because I would like to stick with the same radio for the future cars I get.....
Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Sean C
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyper 8.5 - Durability
Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
thesinner

rc8
Old 04-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Osirisf16

The Hyper 8.5 is fast, sure. But not that tough. If you spent some money on it for upgrade parts, it will be tough as nails, as JamminRoger said. I don't have a clue about the RC8. Beetween those 2, i prefer the 8.5 anyway.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Furadi

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

The Hyper 8.5 is fast, sure. But not that tough. If you spent some money on it for upgrade parts, it will be tough as nails, as JamminRoger said. I don't have a clue about the RC8. Beetween those 2, i prefer the 8.5 anyway.
What about the 8.5 isn't tough? The hypers are probably the toughest buggys you can get. You pretty much have to drive into a wall at full tilt to break one. Its the standing joke at my track, whenever were grooming or filling holes, someone will pick up a rock and say, 'Look! I found an ofna part!' Thats because the a-arms alone on hypers look like bricks. I liked my Hyper 8 just fine, but for me it wasn't that fast.

Honestly I wouldn't get a Hyper 8.5 or an RC8 if I had the money, The RC8 is fragile, It is fast mind you, but can't stand up to driver mistakes like a normal 1/8 scale.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
jonnymac

Well the guy originally asked about the 8.5 and then later talked about an 8 RTR.
I would say the 8.5 is tougher, but purely because its a 'pro' buggy. I wouldn't say its tougher than a Hyper 8 pro (just has different geometry and a few minor upgrades).
The Rc 8 was fragile after it initial release, but has been updated and is now a little tougher.
In realty the Hyper 8 and 8.5s are hard to beat for value whichever version you buy, but I would save, get the 8'5 pro, a buget engine and an FM radio and you will save money in the long run believe me.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: Furadi

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

What about the 8.5 isn't tough? The hypers are probably the toughest buggys you can get. You pretty much have to drive into a wall at full tilt to break one. Its the standing joke at my track, whenever were grooming or filling holes, someone will pick up a rock and say, 'Look! I found an ofna part!' Thats because the a-arms alone on hypers look like bricks. I liked my Hyper 8 just fine, but for me it wasn't that fast.

Honestly I wouldn't get a Hyper 8.5 or an RC8 if I had the money, The RC8 is fragile, It is fast mind you, but can't stand up to driver mistakes like a normal 1/8 scale.
That about the wall, i tried it with the kyosho. If Hypers are 1 time tough then kyoshos are 10 times tough. Honestly, in my first bashing, i break the front lower arm holder. Then, the wing just took out, then i got MANY problems with the screws, then....... I lost count man. Honestly, i run my kyosho 100 times more and nothing happen at all, PLUS that i bad crash one time my kyosho in a stupid way while i was completely noob in RC, and the only thing was "broken" it was that the front tower bend a little and i didn't change it since the suspension was working good. The 8.5 is completely an 8 plus some upgrades. From the looking the Hypers don't look so tough man. I weight the kyosho and the hyper with the same engine and the kyosho is more heavy. That's because the parts are tough as nails like you said. And the kyosho has more durability than the hyper. Anyway, between RC8 and Hyper 8.5, i vote 8.5 because is the best option between those 2.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 PM
gbasile77

I like it how people bag the RC8 as being fragile. To me that means a good thing, if you can drive of course. Have you seen an F1 car if it touches the wall a little?? BANG!!
I build full scale race cars, first one we built was like a Hyper 8 - tough as nails and bloody heavy. Next one is going to be an RC8, super light and not over-engineered.
Do you want to drive a german tank or a Ferrari?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 PM
BLACKYETTI
My Feedback: (-1)

RC8 for sure I have 2
Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Furadi

ORIGINAL: gbasile77

I like it how people bag the RC8 as being fragile. To me that means a good thing, if you can drive of course. Have you seen an F1 car if it touches the wall a little?? BANG!!
I build full scale race cars, first one we built was like a Hyper 8 - tough as nails and bloody heavy. Next one is going to be an RC8, super light and not over-engineered.
Dumbest analogy I have ever heard. For starters, 1/8 scale buggys are OFF ROAD cars. That would entail jumping, wrecking, running into things. Thats what 1/8 scales are designed for. You can be the best driver in the world, that isn't going stop someone from running into you. secondly, My 8ight is LIGHTER than an RC8 and as durable as a Hyper 8 if not more. There is no rational argument for the RC8 being the most fragile high-end race buggy available.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: gbasile77

You can't bash a Ferrari man It's just not proper. The comparison you made is out of topic.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:58 AM
McFly505

I vote RC8.

Never driven any of the Hyper's, so I can't give a direct comparison on that one.

I have an 8ight and I've driven Kyosho, but I still prefer the RC8.

I can tell you that locally, more and more people are jumping ship and getting the RC8.

Flavor of the month?
Who knows.....

RC8 fragile?
I disagree.

They ALL break.

Scott
Old 04-26-2008, 06:58 AM
dryvr

It's a split decision in my case. I have driven both and like both. I own the 8.5 and lubbit. However the rc8 is a top notch ride. You just need to upgrade a few parts (doesn't cost much) and it's just as tough as the 8.5 I discovered this after driving my racing budz rc8 and him telling me what hops he's done to it. The thing screws itself into the ground for sure.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: McFly505

I vote RC8.

Never driven any of the Hyper's, so I can't give a direct comparison on that one.

I have an 8ight and I've driven Kyosho, but I still prefer the RC8.

I can tell you that locally, more and more people are jumping ship and getting the RC8.

Flavor of the month?
Who knows.....

RC8 fragile?
I disagree.

They ALL break.

Scott
Yes of course and they all break. If you hit a wall at 80 km/h, sure is going to break. But in "small" crashes, you can compare which buggy handles. You know, my Hyper 8 has a small problem. Once i hit a little, and when i'm saying a little, i MEAN A LITTLE, the one front shock comes off. What the hell of a design. Why do i need to take through that pain? Every time, i must re-install that darn shock to continue run. I done something custom now and it can't take off now but is still a problem. The 8.5 is also like that.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:39 AM
vti-chris

I have to disagree on the 8 or 8.5 being tough.
It isn't.
At least it's not a Hyper 7.
THAT WAS/IS A TANK!!!
The newer Hypers >8 have harder plastics which causes them to break.
Of course all brands are making harder plastics/lower weight lately and this compromises durability.
On some, these things are working better than others.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: vti-chris

I have to disagree on the 8 or 8.5 being tough.
It isn't.
At least it's not a Hyper 7.
THAT WAS/IS A TANK!!!
The newer Hypers >8 have harder plastics which causes them to break.
Of course all brands are making harder plastics/lower weight lately and this compromises durability.
On some of these things are working better than others.
That's a boy I don't know for the Hyper 7 since i never had the chance to see it. Yes the plastic is hard and is breaking too easily. If they continue those junks at Hyper 9, i will quit for good Hobao [>:]
Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM
RacinRon

Thank god it's not a hyper 7 , it turns better , accelartes harder , and by far the toughest buggy I have ever owned. Must be different overseas. Hopefully the H9 will follow in the 8.5's footsteps and be the best deal in 1/8 scale buggies. amain hobbies , with coupon code , shipped to your door (US) for under 4 bills! Just my opinion though. Ron
Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
flybye123

8.5 for durability. mine has been bashed to h#ll, and the only thing I ever busted, was a right front knuckle, and that was full speed into the front tire of my full size truck. if anyone says different they are full of it, or trying to do stupid stuff with it that no buggy could withstand.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:35 AM
vti-chris

The only Hyper 8> i have ever seen were in the track.
And all of them had problems...some small-some big but ALL had problems with plastic parts breaking.
It's not that the other buggies aren't breaking but at least not at this extend.
I don't know what you guys are doing with your buggies but going up and down in the street won't do much unless you hit the curb!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Osirisf16

Yeah Be sure by that.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Mugen Mbx5

Since the Hyper 9 is comming out, I wouldn't bother with the 8.5 unless you get a deal you can't pass up. The RC8 for $60 more is well worth the extra money.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:23 PM
VBANKS

I don't know anything about the Hyper so It wouldn't be fair to comment on it, but I do have a Losi8 and a RC8. My favorite is the RC8 hands down because it is easier to drive, handles like it is on a rail and I haven't broken a single part.