Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

nitro guy goes electric????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
petey156

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro guy goes electric????

OK, I have always had a nitro rc truck, so i am getting tired of the constant cleaning of oil, and i think i want an electric something. I kinda like the e-maxx or something a little smaller thats fast.
I just switch from nirto planes to an electric bird. kind cool

whats a good 1/10th scale or smaller truck/truggy/or bugggy to get thats kinda "fast" and that i can run li-po batteries in. i really like those li-po batteries, and the price is finially comming down.
if you think the li-po's are a bad thing, let me know!!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:46 PM
BigShrimpah

Default RE: nitro guy goes electric????

VXL Rustler, Stampede, or Bandit

tough, ton of hopups, and will run 70mph on a 3s Lipo

I was a nitro guy too, but now am trying to get rid of most of nitro stuff and converting to brushless/lipo. I love the ease of maintenance, plug and go, reliability, and no mess. Also, lipo batteries are fine as long as properly cared for, never discharged too much, and charged and balanced with a proper charger.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just what the guy above said, if you are going from nitro to electric, then anything less than a brushless wont be fast enough for you.
i went for a nitro sport se, to a rustler xl5. 1st i put in a better motor, then got better batteries, but it still wasnt fast enough. sur, the acceleration was way better than the nitro i had, but the top speed was easially 8mph slowwer. a rustler vxl can go 50-70mph on 3s lipos depending on your gearing and what terrain you are running on.
the mamba monster max esc and motor combo will be comming out some time soon, for around $300. put that system in a e-maxx roller(you can find them for around $200) then you will have a super fast 4wd truck.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 AM
bulldawg rc

this all depends on what you plan on doing with it, are you a racer or just a hobby enthusiast who runs in the neighborhood? traxxas does make some very fast out of the box products, throw in a lipo and those brushless are off and running. also think about what your local parts supply is, check what your hobby shop stocks.

as far as lipo, they are a great thing. don't be afraid to switch over. they are punchy and last forever. always watch your voltage and always keep an eye on them while charging.

Good luck

[link=http://www.BulldawgRC.com]www.BulldawgRC.com[/link]
Old 04-25-2008, 04:33 PM
petey156

the local hobby shop is about an hour drive, so I usually order everything from tower or horizon.
i dont race, i just beat around in my back yard usually.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:54 PM
billdee

why is it that every time a person wants to get into rc, the first reply is to go out and get a RTR if that is the case just tell the guy to go to toys r us. why not try a kit.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
BigShrimpah

ORIGINAL: billdee

why is it that every time a person wants to get into rc, the first reply is to go out and get a RTR if that is the case just tell the guy to go to toys r us. why not try a kit.

because a Traxxas VXL kit is a very good buy. I have built kits from Mugen 1/8th scales, to Associated 18th scales, and I am still happy with my RTR. If the guy is not racing, then what is the point of getting a kit? Also, name a kit that can be built for under $300 with radio, brushless motor, esc, and a tranny that will hold up to brushless power. It just ain't gonna happen.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: BigShrimpah

ORIGINAL: billdee

because a Traxxas VXL kit is a very good buy. I have built kits from Mugen 1/8th scales, to Associated 18th scales, and I am still happy with my RTR. If the guy is not racing, then what is the point of getting a kit? Also, name a kit that can be built for under $300 with radio, brushless motor, esc, and a tranny that will hold up to brushless power. It just ain't gonna happen.
I aggree with the kits. And with a kit, maybe a Tamiya Keen Hawk or Dark Impact. the Keen Hawk is $117 from rcstation, plus $50 (going cheap) for electronics and radio= 167. average that out to 165. 300-165= $135 to get a brushless system. Sidewinder fits in that catagory. PLus, instead of getting a Bandit you could get this very durable kit. For the same price