Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

66" foam wing - attaching ailerons, how?

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

66" foam wing - attaching ailerons, how?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
kleinssz69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66" foam wing - attaching ailerons, how?

Hey guys,
I don't know if I've got the right forum here, but here goes.

I'm building a 66" wing for my glow .60 size prototype sports flyer. Im new to foam wings, am using the white builers foam. Got a couple of questions.

1. Do you also use foam ailerons?
2. How do you attach the ailerons?
3. Do I need a spar or anything else to strenghten the wing?
4. How do you keep the glow fuel from disolving the foam? Is paint a good enough sealer (I don't want to cover it with balsa)?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
AJ1202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 66" foam wing - attaching ailerons, how?

I will try to offer some help, It would be helpfull to know what style of plane your building
high wing, low wing etc.

. Do you also use foam ailerons?
you can either use foam or balsa for the ailerons, both will work

2. How do you attach the ailerons?
I always use hinges for all moving surfaces, especialy on a plane of this size
3. Do I need a spar or anything else to strenghten the wing?
are you building the wing with an airfoil or flat, in either case you will definatly want to make a wing spar, CF is the best thing to use as it's lite and doesn't take up much room
4. How do you keep the glow fuel from disolving the foam? Is paint a good enough sealer (I don't want to cover it with balsa)?
most paint and foam don't get along, there is a H2O paint for foam but this will not protect it from fuel, most likey the only way you can truely protect the foam from fuel is to glass it, there are a few methods for this besides regular glass, you can use water based polyurathane and 1/2oz cloth, or you can use regular poly and cloth, also 30 min epox thinned just a little works well

A few other details about your build will bring more help
Good Luck