Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:50 AM
tokenring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

yeah... that is what I was thinking. It is very close to the perfect length, but needs just a bit more
Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 AM
experimental_pilot

ORIGINAL: 3pointX

My 'Storm is dead, ladies and gentlemen. And I had just fixed it from last weekend, too. I thought it was just a bad plug so I popped another one in last night and well, it's just dead. There's absolutely no compression at all. It won't even build enough pressure to pull fuel into the carb. Not sure what happened and I haven't taken teh time to figure it out, either. Something tells me I broke the con rod because the engine was running fine when it went. No knock, it was even running pig rich. In any case, I've got no engine. The OS is sitting in another truck right now, and I've got other plans for the .28. I'm probably going to rebuild the 'Storm, but it'll be a long and drug out process as I'm thinking about building a drift car out of it. Everyone says you can't drift rwd rc cars but hey, the physics that apply to real drift cars still apply to RC so I'll give it a shot. I even have an Impreza body for it and some other things.
To see if your con rod is broken, just take the glow plug out and turn the engine over with the flywheel.
The piston won't go up and down if the rod is broken.

Just take it apart and check the Piston.

There's also the HPI Engine Exchange Program. http://www.hpiracing.com/engineexchange/
Old 05-03-2008, 12:40 PM
P Bear

$65 for a new .18 is hard to beat. The rules say you can exchange small block for small block. You might want to find out when the .18SS will be available. The .18SS, stock on the MT2 18SS was dynoed by Extreme RC Magazine at .63 hp @ 29,500 RPM and 24.96 oz-in @ 22,250 RPM. The stock Storm engine on the same dyno was .56 HP @ 25,700 RPM and 21.83 oz-in @ 25,500 RPM. HPI states it's the same engine with different porting. The SS has more torque down low and more HP up high.

I wouldn't pay $150 for a 4.6, although it is a good engine, I'd rather have a LRP for almost the same price.

My thoughts on the starter cord question is get a starter box. For $75 I got a dual 750 motor dual belt drive and use a car battery.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKTL6

It's more powerful than my $100 Ofna dual 750 motor Truggy starter box which uses a single belt.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:23 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I just bought an OS 18 CVR for my firestorm. I got a desent deal (I think) on ebay. It was 72.00 and only has 6 tanks of fuel run thru it. From everything I have found it is a drop in engine. once I get it in I'll be sure to let you know who it runs!! I'm n ot sure what I going to do yet about the stock engine I may keep it as a spare or maybe I'll post it in the classified section for sale.
Has any body else done this swap yet? let us know how it went if you have.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:46 PM
party_wagon

Are there cvds that will work with this truck?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:35 PM
guyelcamino

Check out my thread, Firestorm O.S. Engine Swap, for info on installing an O.S. 18CV-RX 11J .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...Cengine%2Cswap

Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 PM
3pointX

ORIGINAL: experimental_pilot

My 'Storm is dead, ladies and gentlemen. And I had just fixed it from last weekend, too. I thought it was just a bad plug so I popped another one in last night and well, it's just dead. There's absolutely no compression at all. It won't even build enough pressure to pull fuel into the carb. Not sure what happened and I haven't taken teh time to figure it out, either. Something tells me I broke the con rod because the engine was running fine when it went. No knock, it was even running pig rich. In any case, I've got no engine. The OS is sitting in another truck right now, and I've got other plans for the .28. I'm probably going to rebuild the 'Storm, but it'll be a long and drug out process as I'm thinking about building a drift car out of it. Everyone says you can't drift rwd rc cars but hey, the physics that apply to real drift cars still apply to RC so I'll give it a shot. I even have an Impreza body for it and some other things.
To see if your con rod is broken, just take the glow plug out and turn the engine over with the flywheel.
The piston won't go up and down if the rod is broken.

Just take it apart and check the Piston.

There's also the HPI Engine Exchange Program. http://www.hpiracing.com/engineexchange/

I know. I'm a mechanic lol. I just hdn't taken the time to do it when I posted earlier. But I did pull the plug and check and actually the piston still moves up and down. I pulled the top end off and well, the piston is cracked and the headgasket is popped. So good news is the con rod is fine. Bad news, the piston isn't. Oh well. I bought myself a Caster buggy and introduced myself to the yummy goodness of the ZX-1R.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: guyelcamino

Check out my thread, Firestorm O.S. Engine Swap, for info on installing an O.S. 18CV-RX 11J .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...Cengine%2Cswap

Thanks for the link. I think I will bookmark it for reference when I install my engine. I also got the high torque sterring servo and it was the best thing I bought for the firestorm so far, you won't regret it. I did tighen my servo saver all the way and it keeps coming loose I'm going to have to locktight it next time I have the front end apart.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 10:30 PM
experimental_pilot

I know. I'm a mechanic lol. I just hdn't taken the time to do it when I posted earlier. But I did pull the plug and check and actually the piston still moves up and down. I pulled the top end off and well, the piston is cracked and the headgasket is popped. So good news is the con rod is fine. Bad news, the piston isn't. Oh well. I bought myself a Caster buggy and introduced myself to the yummy goodness of the ZX-1R.
Oh, lol!
That sucks about your engine, but congrats on the ZX-1. They look real nice.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 AM
3pointX

I love it. But never fear the 'Storm will be back. It won't really be a truck anymore, but it'll be a fun rebuild. I've got too much invested in it to just let it die like that.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:38 PM
will0983

where did you get the new servo from. I am looking for a good steering servo for my firestorm. thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 03:52 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: will0983

where did you get the new servo from. I am looking for a good steering servo for my firestorm. thanks
get a hitech 645, you can find them on ebay or tower has them for under $30.00 (I think) you can probably save a few buck if you get one from ebay. Your LHS should carry them in stock and you wouldn't have to wiat for shipping
Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 AM
tokenring

Just a quick question or comparison I would like to know... How far have you turned your HSN and LSN from neutral when leaning out your mixtures? I'm just wondering if anyone has gone past 1/8 and 1/4 turns. Sometimes it seems that I can almost do a FULL circle clockwise on my HSN and 1/2 circle on my LSN...

Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
3pointX

I kept mine pretty close to that magic 3/4 turn for the high speed. I never messed with my low speed settings.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
kordasn

ORIGINAL: tokenring

Just a quick question or comparison I would like to know... How far have you turned your HSN and LSN from neutral when leaning out your mixtures? I'm just wondering if anyone has gone past 1/8 and 1/4 turns. Sometimes it seems that I can almost do a FULL circle clockwise on my HSN and 1/2 circle on my LSN...

I have had my LSN up to 1 full turn lean, it's still fine, though I run it at flush, I really don't know how far it should be pushed I am going to buy a temperature guage tomorrow to make sure I can keep it below 250^F. I'm not too crazy about speed, I'm going to go get a lower tooth clutch bell (17), and change the springs to be stiffer on the shoes. I'm 99% sure it'll wheelie off the line and I'm sure I'll throw out the back end on the dirt, even if it is a bit richer than maximum performance. I end up driving it in the grass a lot at home, I am considering constructing a track at my cottage made of dirt, it doesn't wheelie in the grass too much. We'll see.

Also, for the starter I use a rotostart now, works like a CHARM compared to pulling on that thing, even though the stock 'storm body doesn't really fit the roto quite properly. ~$65 @ hobbyhobby for the starter, $30 for charger for battery and lastly $30 for the backplate, ballpark of course. My dad bought a MT2, pretty nice car it came with a rotostart .

I had a couple questions also, 2speed? And also can you get a better brake? I have straightened out the connecting rod and lubricated the linkages, but it doesn't lock the wheels. I WANT IT TO LOCK THE WHEELS! Anyway, should I / can you get a stronger servo for that? On page 20 there was a discussion about it. It would actually be best if you could let me know something from this list:
http://www.hobbyhobby.com/store/inde...ath=24_216_278

I'd like to not spend too much money, but maybe like... Any purchase will show great progress. I have no idea, anyone got any?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
supersound99ss

i can't get past an 1/8 turn on the HSN without the temps staying in the 260s+.....i don't really beat on mine much but for some reason its always running hot but has smoke 6ft behind it
Old 05-06-2008, 05:11 AM
NitroNate

Air leak...[&:]
Old 05-06-2008, 05:30 AM
P Bear

I use a rotostart on my Savage. Like it more than I thought I would. Use a 3000ma battery and rarely charge it.

The best thing about the Storm is turning the wheel and locking the brakes at the same time. Once it's sliding sideways hit the gas. That is what two wheel drive is all about. The stock arm on the Storm brake is too short and it comes off at an angle instead of 90 degrees. I attached an aluminum plate to my brake arm that extends out 2" and it's triangle shaped to allow the rod hole to be 90 degrees to the brake shaft. I still have the stock servo and the only time I can't lock up my brakes is when my battery is almost dead.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:37 AM
tokenring

right now I have my HSN at 3/4 turn clockwise and my LSN 1/2 turn clockwise. I think the LSN is horizontal at flush right????

Old 05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
kordasn

ORIGINAL: P Bear

I use a rotostart on my Savage. Like it more than I thought I would. Use a 3000ma battery and rarely charge it.

The best thing about the Storm is turning the wheel and locking the brakes at the same time. Once it's sliding sideways hit the gas. That is what two wheel drive is all about. The stock arm on the Storm brake is too short and it comes off at an angle instead of 90 degrees. I attached an aluminum plate to my brake arm that extends out 2" and it's triangle shaped to allow the rod hole to be 90 degrees to the brake shaft. I still have the stock servo and the only time I can't lock up my brakes is when my battery is almost dead.
Hey P Bear, what did you fabricate the aluminum plate from? I was thinking of using a popsicle stick, I can't really think of anything to use. Did you remove the stock one and put it right into the socket for the brake lever, or did you attach it, if so how?

Thanks again
Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 AM
kordasn

right now I have my HSN at 3/4 turn clockwise and my LSN 1/2 turn clockwise. I think the LSN is horizontal at flush right????

On both my G3.0 on the MT2 and on the FS it's vertical when flush, it may be different though, I do not know.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
P Bear

I used .105" (2.5mm) sheet alum. from work. Little less than 1/8" thick. Attached it to the old arm. I wanted it the same level with the old arm so I epoxied it to the edge. Worked for about 2 hours run time before it came off. Now I am going to re-attach it to the same spot but use another piece of alum. on top and use 4 small bolts and nuts, 2 on lever and 2 on 2" plate to bolt it on plus use epoxy again. Won't fall off this time. They sell sheet alum. at my local hardware store. Anything between 1/16" and 1/8" alum. would be good. With a popsicle stick you would have a hard time getting 90 degrees to the brake shaft. Doesn't have to be 90, just gives you more leverage.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:45 PM
tokenring

ORIGINAL: kordasn

On both my G3.0 on the MT2 and on the FS it's vertical when flush, it may be different though, I do not know.
I think you're right... the only reason why I wasn't sure is because firstly it is hard to tell by the naked eye (when flush) and secondly when I took it to my local hobby store, they quickly moved it (the leaning way - clockwise) without me looking. It was at 1 o'clock after he they turned it, and I thought he turned it about 1/4 turn. So if I moved it back what they moved it forward, it would be at horizontal. I guess they only moved it a bit... from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock and not 9 o'clock to 1 o'clock No wonder my engine was flooding previously... Arrrrr!!! Anyway, it's good now!! Thanks for the reply Kordson!!!!

AB
Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 AM
tokenring

Can anyone say wheelies????

Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
kordasn

Can anyone say wheelies????

I can't get mine to do wheelies, in grass or pavement or dirt, unless I hit a bump. I have had the HSN turned in fairly far (but it makes it heat up too much), so I have turned it to around 220~240, but I've not seen any wheelies. I suppose I could try the LSN, but I don't know if that would actually help without wrecking the engine. Any help from anyone?

I read before that if you tighten up the slipper it will wheelie? But it will cause wear on something? What is that thing which will wear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.