Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

How to clean/store a nitro vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
crumbs83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean/store a nitro vehicle

My Mini Inferno buggy will be here in a few days... can't wait!! I never had a nitro before, and I'm wondering what's the best way to clean it up. Is WD-40 good for it? Do I need afterrun oil in the engine?
I want to be able to have it on display.... all fuel lines, filter, etc. etc., clean. The idea of tearing it down for maintainence is a plus for me... I love getting into the nitty gritty.
Advice/links much appreciated.
CRUMBS
Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 PM
shanty140

Default RE: How to clean/store a nitro vehicle

I always use after run oil for the engine if it's getting stored for more then a day or two. I clean the air filter after every days running and maybe once or two during the days running. For cleaning it I use left over fuel from the year before and put it on the filter. This cleans the filter without a problem. Remember to put air filter oil back on the filter after cleaning it.

For cleaning I use some simple green, tooth brush, cloth, some nitro spray stuff, and a air compressor comes clean like nothing.

For maintenance just remember to look after the diffs and make sure everything is working the way it should. I usually take apart the diffs after half a gallon, it is usually sooner because I check them when I break something and am waiting for a part.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 PM
crumbs83

Shanty... thanks for the advice. I started break-in today, ran about 4-5 tanks. Afterwards, removed the tank and the tubes, loosened the pipe, and used nitro cleaner. I put a few drops of after run in the carb, and rotated the flywheel a few times. Hopefully, it'll run great next time. But, right now, it looks just like new! Thanks,
CRUMBS
Old 05-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Dokioto

When I wash my Nitro vehicles it only takes about 30 minutes.
I take all the electronics, the engine, pipe, and gas tank, then hose it down with the hose. Thens it's of to the air compressor to get it all nice and dry. I do spray WD-40 in some places to stop rust but other than that it is ready to go.

I clean the Air Filter after 10 tanks or so (a little more usually). Warm water and dish soap works well, just make sure it's dry before you apply oil to it.

A little info on my experiences with, After Run Oil and engines:
If you know your going to run the engine the next day there isn't really a need for the oil. Nothing is going to happen to it unless you leave it still after 2-3 weeks. If you get all the fuel out of the engine by turning over the engine with the glow igniter attached (burring all left over fuel) it should be ready to go in the next day or two. Really ARO makes it harder to start: The extra oil will not burn until it gets flushed out (more of a proublem with bigger engines and more oil).

Good Luck!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Dan|zu

I really like nITRO but this is the reason i dont get one.... Im just the guy who like the simplicity of Electric Powered Vechicles have fun wit ur Inferno.... I plan to get one soon
Old 05-13-2008, 02:54 AM
crumbs83

I hear you, Dan/verticleslash\ zu,
I went into to this knowing there would be quite a bit of maintainence. For, me, much of the appeal is messing around with a small ic (internal combustion) engine. They are amazing creatures. They roar to life.
CRUMBS
Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
RC Huligan

This may not fall under cleaning but it comes with nitro care. Whenever you have metal screws in metal, you need to use some locktite or remember to tighten the screws periodically. The vibrations from the nitro engine loosen the screws over time. I have an [link=http://www.rcxray.com/nt18mt-rtr/]XRAY NT18MT[/link] and here's a photo that shows where I have to check the screws.

http://www.rcxray.com/images/nt18t/x...NT18T-11-L.jpg
Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 AM
buggymangp

the one thing i like to do is.
store my cars with the wheels off the ground.
it relaxs the shocks and keeps the tires from getting flat spots.