Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

rmonsoon

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 PM
supamagician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rmonsoon

is this a good 1:8 truggy? do you break parts often? the reason i am asking these is that i found a guy that might want to trade me my e-firestorm for a new in box monsoon. im not sure if i should do this or go with my second option that is getting a 1:10 electric buggy and a chaos nitro buggy? what do yall think i should do and what are some things i should know about the monsoon?

thanks,
rob
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Swamp3r

Default RE: rmonsoon

I love my monsoon I wouldn`t trade it for anything only thing I have broken is 2 bumpers and one body due to bad driving, and electric is boreing in my eyes anyway get the monsoon.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 PM
supamagician

ok. honestly, that would be awesome to have a huge truggy like that, gut there will be lots of times i wont be able to run because i wont have money for fuel. that is why i thought about the other option, with the electric and the nitro. im still not sure
Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
chevyderek72

i would so go with the monsoon
Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 PM
vnmsgt

Monsoon +2. Beat the hell out of mine and never broke an a-arm, shock or shaft. Very tough truck! Also very fast with the right setup!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 AM
TThib

Honestly, I'd go with the Monsoon. I have a Chaos that my son uses very infrequently because it's always broken. The differentials and the gears inside are all plasic and break very easily.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 AM
J24gordon

I break my monsoon all the time, still on the shelf broke right now lol, got a crt and hardly ever break anything.....
Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 AM
need2drag
My Feedback: (1)

I would say do what ever you want. I have a Monsoon and I have had a lot of issues with it. But many of the issues were because of bad driving. There were quite a few mechanical issues that I felt should have been taken care of before I got the car, such as several of the screws falling out. This has caused some serious down time for me. Eventually I got through it. I have heard that you should take the car apart and rebuild it, putting locktight on all the screws. Personally I feel this is something that should be done at the factory, not done when you get the car. That kind of defeats the purpose of "Ready to Run". I will say that once you could run it, I was completely happy with it. It is a lot of fun, and can definitely handle some good bashing. If you would like, I can post a video of me running mine.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 PM
supamagician

yeah will you post a vid please?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
need2drag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1qmVrjXBw

There is a video from this past saturday. I was letting a buddy of mine drive it. The only thing with this video, is the car still needs a little bit of tuning, but it was running pretty good that day. Hope that helps you.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: need2drag

I would say do what ever you want. I have a Monsoon and I have had a lot of issues with it. But many of the issues were because of bad driving. There were quite a few mechanical issues that I felt should have been taken care of before I got the car, such as several of the screws falling out. This has caused some serious down time for me. Eventually I got through it. I have heard that you should take the car apart and rebuild it, putting locktight on all the screws. Personally I feel this is something that should be done at the factory, not done when you get the car. That kind of defeats the purpose of "Ready to Run". I will say that once you could run it, I was completely happy with it. It is a lot of fun, and can definitely handle some good bashing. If you would like, I can post a video of me running mine.
Your problem is not just with the monsoon, It is with EVERY RTR. No matter if you buy a Losi RTR, Jammin, Hyper, does not matter you have to go through the whole truck or buggy and check screws and loctite ALL screws that go into metal. So do not blame that on Redcat because I have had a ton of RTR's and others and part of a Nitro is maintenance and checking screws. Now you might not have known at the time you bought the monsoon but now you know for other things you buy.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 AM
need2drag

I wasn't trying to make it seem as if it is just with a Redcat issue. I probably could have worded that a little differently. You are right though, it is a deal with every manufacturer. Like I said in the end though, once I worked through those issues, it was blast to drive, and still is a blast. I know now, that when I buy a car to do a good once over on the whole car, and locktight screws, and check mesh on gears, and so on and so forth.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM
vnmsgt

I wasn't trying to make it seem as if it is just with a Redcat issue. I probably could have worded that a little differently. You are right though, it is a deal with every manufacturer. Like I said in the end though, once I worked through those issues, it was blast to drive, and still is a blast. I know now, that when I buy a car to do a good once over on the whole car, and locktight screws, and check mesh on gears, and so on and so forth.
My bad, it just seemed like you were addressing it as a redcat issue is all.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 AM
need2drag

it's cool bro. I have felt at times that Redcat cars do have a lot more issues than most, but then I see other people have problems with others as well. I was just trying to let the other guy know he might want to consider that when he gets one, that way he doesn't have a lot of down time, for screws falling out. I actually went to the local hardware store yesterday and picked up some screws so I could replace some of mine. The biggest ones I have had issues with are the motor mount screws and the lower a-arm to hub screw. Other than that they seem to hold together pretty good.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:30 AM
vnmsgt

it's cool bro. I have felt at times that Redcat cars do have a lot more issues than most, but then I see other people have problems with others as well. I was just trying to let the other guy know he might want to consider that when he gets one, that way he doesn't have a lot of down time, for screws falling out. I actually went to the local hardware store yesterday and picked up some screws so I could replace some of mine. The biggest ones I have had issues with are the motor mount screws and the lower a-arm to hub screw. Other than that they seem to hold together pretty good.
The lower A-arm to hub screw will fall out now matter what you do LOL! I loctited the crap out of mine and it would still come out. Even used a longer bolt too. I think that is the one drawback of the monsoon is the front suspension. Needs to be C-hub or Pivot ball.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:23 PM
need2drag

I haven't had any issues with mine since I put a longer screw and locktight in there. When I was replacing the a-arm yesterday, it was an extra pain because of that screw. It took forever for me to get it out. lol Well I am getting ready to go to the local skate park here and do some running. Yippee.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 PM
papax5p

I agree with what he was saying about having to tear down a RTR before you run it and put loctite on all the screws. RTR is ready to run not take all screws out and put loctite on them. For the price of all of these RTR vehicles, I feel the manufactures should have used loctite on them when assembling them. Show me in any manual that comes with a vehicle that says for you to remove all screws and put loctite on them before you make your first run for RTR vehicles. I have owned 4 different vehicles and have read every manual that came with them and none says this. I have not bought a kit yet, but I am willing to bet that when you do buy a kit it says during the assembly of the vehicle to use loctite.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 PM
need2drag

Exactly. The only reason I know now to pull the screws and locktight them is because of the people on the forum. But what about someone who doesn't have access to the net, and can't get online and talk to people about this stuff. What are they gonna do when their cars start falling apart? That is just something people should really think about. I mean, how much more work would be involved in putting locktight on the screws at the factory? That is all I am saying.