Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Connecting lithium polymer cells in parallel

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Connecting lithium polymer cells in parallel

Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 AM
rsiaviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting lithium polymer cells in parallel

Hello,
I have a question about the safety of wiring two lithium polymer packs in parallel. I mentioned to my father that I wanted to make a connector that I could use to connect two of my 3s 3200mah pack together. Tower Hobbies sells a product to do so, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNKY8&P=0 , and my dad completely flipped. He determined that using such a device would draw more amps from one pack than the other thus causing it to explode. He also said to do such a thing would require the use of modulators and all sorts of electronic devises. What I want to know is would connecting two lithium packs in parallel would cause it to explode or do damage to it.

Thanks
Rsiaviation
Old 05-15-2008, 12:29 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Connecting lithium polymer cells in parallel

Make sure the batteries are of equal capacity as possible (use a balancer while charging); i.e., equal voltage, equal mAh and equal discharge rates, put female (your choice of maker) connectors on both of the batteries as normal, construct a parallel harness with males on one end (to connect to the batteries) and a female on the converging end (black-to-black & red-to-red). I've done this numerous times without any ill-effects.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:49 PM
DaveFlynn

They can be different in every way but voltage for charging in parallel. However, they should be matched in every way when discharging. Most of my packs are 3S1P 2100mAh and I series and parallel them all the time to get whatever I need. (ie 3S2P, 6S1P, 6S2P, 6S3P, 9S1P, 9S2P and 12S1P) They're all the same 16C rated packs from the same company.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:11 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem at all as long as you adhere to what's been said. Curious though, Why do you wish to add those large MA. packs in paralel. Do you wish to fly non stop all day?
Old 05-16-2008, 08:57 AM
rsiaviation

I want to add the packs in parallel because my super sportster flys for only ten minutes with these packs using a electrifly 35-36-1200 outrunner motor pared with a ss-45 esc. I want to try fpv with it eventually and the extra run time would be great. Event for just flying around more time would be great.

Rsiaviation
Old 05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Dennis Carlsen

I series and paralell batteries all the time. In paralell they will draw down to the exact same voltage and there will be no problem with one being over discharged. Generally you would paralell to packs togeather to provide more amps for a larger plane. with 10 minutes of flight time adding the second pack will just make your plane heavier and it will not fly as well.

You can charge the packs in paralell, just use a seperate balancer for each pack, they will charge to the exact same voltage, and you can charg them at the combined amperage of the two packs. That means you can charge the two packs in one hour. it is still a 1c charge rate.

I recomend not chargeing two packs in series

Dennis