Notices

86" Yak - Aluminum landing gear

Old 04-25-2008, 05:56 PM
nuvaring
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86" Yak - Aluminum landing gear

In this day and age of composites, what's up with the aluminum landing gear? I'm a happy owner of the 102" Yak and looking for a 50 size Yak. As much as I love the QQ Yaks, this kinda draws me away....

Thanks
Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 PM
octanehuffer

Default RE: 86" Yak - Aluminum landing gear

Whats wrong with aluminum? Would you prefer to pay more for the plane just to have composite gear? My aluminum gear holds up very well and I couldnt tell any difference between the factory composite or the aluminum.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
nuvaring
My Feedback: (6)

Just seems like a backwards move... Not sure I can picture my vette with chrome bumpers. BTW, I don't have anything against aluminum, just seems like a compromise.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:11 PM
octanehuffer

Are wanting to fly this plane or just look at it?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

It used to come with a composite gear. my flying buddy has the older one and broke it numerous times. the new one comes with aluminum and i would rather have it . they both weigh within ounces of each other (both planes not the gear)
Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Mine came with the composite gear. I broke it several times, repaired it several times, replace it once and broke it again. I replaced the composite with aluminum and been happy ever since.

My experience with any composite landing gear has been negative. EF planes, broke, Wild Hare, broke, it seems like I had another one break but I can't remember. For me...the carbon fiber stuff doesn't belong on landing gear. Just too fragile. It's great for wing tubes, pushrods, wing supports, etc., but not very good for landing gear. But then maybe you all land softner than me.

tHanks
Barry
Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 AM
EMVIN

Hey guys my composite landing gear (which is fiber glass) broke as well. Went through three pairs all replaced by QQ aircraft. There is something wrong with the gear that came with the 86". They all seem to crack at the bend somewere around 20+/-flights. I now am using the aluminum gear too. I painted it yellow and it looks great. I also cracked my tail gear. All on light landings. I fly off grass that may contribute to this problem . The last time I used the fiberglass LG it cracked upon landing ( a soft one I might add )the gear cracked the plane nosed over and I damaged my engine box. This was due to the CF prop. It didn't give. The weight difference is about 5oz. Weight is the only reason I would consider going with CF. I will be looking into graph tech carbonfiber they claim that there methods of lamination are far superior to the Chinese. Has anyone out there tried Graphtech? let me know. In the end its not worth the weight savings if the gear is going to fail anyway.

....EMVIN....
Old 05-16-2008, 08:36 AM
HarisH

Hi, I have the graphtech landing Gear.
The right side had to be glued (between layers) with CA after 5 flights.
Also after 3 more flights the left side needs the same action to be done.
No heavy landings.

I 'm trying to find the new aluminum LG here in Greece.

PS I also have similar problems with my H9 Extra 33%'s graphtech LG, I don't know what to say....
Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 AM
EMVIN

Harish, thanks for the input. I will certainly putting that into consideration when deciding on a purchase. It might not be worth it to save the extra weight. I am not a competition pilot and do not need that little extra edge anyway.

....EMVIN....
Old 05-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

EMVIN,
I have had several experiences with CF gear including Graphtec. I do not land hard and do not do harrier landings and I have had three sets of CF gear delaminate at the bend, all coincidentally on the right hand side. I took the time to try and repair one set of gear, but the repair is never as good as the virgin gear and the repair did not last long. I have been instructed by the manufacturer to return the gear to them and hopefuly they can solve the issue. I just can understand why these guys cannot make gear with somewhat of an airfoil shape of perhaps even with a support piece on the back side of the bend for added strength. In the meantime I have been using Aluminum gear and have had no issues, yes a little bit of added weight but that is no big deal as far as my flying goes!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM
EMVIN

Hooked, think I'm sold on the alum. I will just have to save weight other ways. For instance instead of running a canaster and header pipe I went with the stock pipe. QuiQue planes fly very light anyway

Hooked on RC....Me Too....
Old 05-16-2008, 06:38 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

landing inverted totally reduces any stress on the gear.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:28 AM
EMVIN

At my field is surrounded by tall cattails (weeds). Maybe I can harrier land into them. Should save the landing gear....