Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Failsafe compatibility w/Spektrum?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Failsafe compatibility w/Spektrum?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Mugen Mbx5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failsafe compatibility w/Spektrum?

Is there a failsafe that is compatible with Spektrum 2.4 GHZ radios? I know they have built in failsafes that you set when you bind them,but NO Spektrum recievers have a Low Voltage failsafe. I previously used the Ofna failsafe and they worked great,but I am almost positive they don't work with 2.4 ghz. I need a low voltage failsafe, anyone using one with a spektrum with any success? What brand if you have one that works?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 PM
pt30

Default RE: Failsafe compatibility w/Spektrum?

whan my battery goes low on my spektrum it goes into failsafe so I don't use a Low Voltage failsafe.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Mugen Mbx5

Spektrum and Horizon both confirmed that none of their recievers have a low voltage failsafe mode, maybe you just got lucky somehow with it going into failsafe mode? I have heard someone else say theirs did that,but I emailed Spektrum RC and Horizon,and even called them and all 4 times they said the failsafe is for loss of signal or interference ONLY,and not a single model reciever they produce has a low volt failsafe mode????????????? I'm not saying your wrong but I have the 3000 3001 and 3500 recievers and I have had a runaway,and they are all set to full brake on failsafe mode. I have a RX battery that I thought I had more time on it ran low and away it went,today I charged it and it ran or about 2 minutes and the pack dumped again but luckily it glitched and I grabbed it right as it went full wick, needless to say that pack went into the trash but the failsafe never kicked on(3100 pro reciever, brand new) so now im getting paranaid!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Mugen Mbx5

http://www.spektrumrc.com/faq/tm.aspx?m=45
Old 05-18-2008, 08:52 PM
pt30

try a new battery mabey the battery is dropping to fast, but mine kicks on every time when the battery is going low. spektrum probley dosnt want to get in trouble, but if you what try a different failsafe like the venom one. hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Mugen Mbx5

ORIGINAL: pt30

try a new battery mabey the battery is dropping to fast, but mine kicks on every time when the battery is going low. spektrum probley dosnt want to get in trouble, but if you what try a different failsafe like the venom one. hope this helps.
So true on the "not want to get in trouble statement". Yeah I pitched that battery,but I just like to know theres a voltage failsafe in there because you never know when something might bind and drain the battery quick, plus I like the piece of mind knowing I can run till it stops then switch the battery out and charge it. I do have 6 RX packs(5 now) and they are all 2-4 years old, I know its time to pitch them and get fresh ones anyway, or switch to Lipo RX packs.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Dirty South Racing

I'm running a Spektrum DX2.0 and have had two runaways due to low voltage on my reciever pack. The first time my buggy stopped once it hit the wall at the track wot, the second time I noticed it glitching, then it took off wot I just switched the radio off and the fail safe kicked in due to signal loss and my buggy stopped, so from now on if I have a runaway due to low voltage I'll just turn the radio off seems to work pretty good. Just a thought instead of trying to get a failsafe to work with the Spektrum.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
dxm2

Is there any reason you don't want to run a "throttle return spring"? I had one WOT runaway with my Spektrum and that convinced me.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Mugen Mbx5

[quote]ORIGINAL: dxm2

Is there any reason you don't want to run a "throttle return spring"? I had one WOT runaway with my Spektrum and that convinced me.
[/q

Throttle return springs kill the battery faster and stress/slow down the servo. I thought about it and want to avoid the spring option if possible.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 AM
McFly505

The only way a return spring is going to kill a battery/servo is if you don't have the linkage set up right.

Plain and simple.

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/7029]GMK Supply 'CARB-O's'[/link]
I run these on everything I have. They work and last forever.
I use these in addition to the return spring on the linkage.
No stress on the servo and RX packs last and last and last...(of course, I run lipo RX packs too)

Scott
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 AM
dicko

+ 1 for throttle return spring. i run a rubberband on my carby as well as a return spring on the servo horn. if you run a decent servo with a decent battery you shouldn't have a problem.