Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Zeta30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

I just trimmed out a SC I built for my Dad that I plan on giving him on Father's day. I forgot how well the stock SC glides.

Just a quick question for those whos SC's are still stock.

How far do your servos throw on each end point. It seems that I can only get them to throw about 1/3 distance on each end. The plane will still fly and turn. I just can't remember if this is how they come or not.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 PM
zestril5

tb tyler

One way to keep the little buggers in their nest is to pull them out completely and put a fresh piece if double sided tape on the bottom.

What I do, however, after being sure they are reseated, is to put some bathtub caulk and tile sealer on each of the ends where the screws would be if these were screwed in. This way you can just reach down into the fuselage with the tip of the tube and put a few dabs on without pulling anything apart. It needs to dry like overnight but keeps them in their place very well.

The bathtub and tile caulk /sealer is what is used to hold the firewall to the fuselage so you know it has holding power.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:14 AM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Question, I just bought the adm for my supercub. I also want to change out the electronic and install a 25amp esc, ar6100 rx and 2 hitec hs55 servos. How can I still use the x-port for the drop module? So far I have'nt had any problems with the stock electronics, so should I just leave them in and have fun with the drop module? I would just feel so much safer with my spektrum in it.[8D]
Old 05-18-2008, 09:40 AM
cjg

ORIGINAL: ejam

Question, I just bought the adm for my supercub. I also want to change out the electronic and install a 25amp esc, ar6100 rx and 2 hitec hs55 servos. How can I still use the x-port for the drop module? So far I have'nt had any problems with the stock electronics, so should I just leave them in and have fun with the drop module? I would just feel so much safer with my spektrum in it.[8D]
I believe the only way is to buy a xport converter so it works with a stock channel on your spektrum. I haven't changed my SC to my Spektrum for the same reason. The drop module sure is kind of fun.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 AM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Where can I buy the xport converter? MY kids get upset when I tell them to put their planes away so I can fly mine. It would be cool to have the converter so I can install my spektrum rx!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 PM
DaxFX

there is a guy here in the forum that made the x-port board to conect to other RX and sell them do a search here on the thread. also there is a website the sells x-port aftermarket gadgets that also have an x-port adapter is called xportsomething not sure the name i will try to find it for you .

Damit !! the search tool in this forum is crap !!!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Flapsup

I found this forum about a month ago and have learned a ton from you guys. The other day I landed my SC in a very tall fir tree and it took me a couple of days to get it down (it was about 65 feet up in a 85 foot tree). I had to turn monkey and climb up after it - not my favorite thing to do. No visible damage to the plane but the motor does not spin. I took it apart and tried a direct hookup to the battery but nothing happens. The prop was not damaged but it did come to an abrupt stop. Could the motor have been ruined. Is there a best way to test the motor? The servos work fine. Thanks, Flapsup
Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 AM
zestril5

ejam

this link will take you to the post That Johnpcunningham made on 7/30/2007 for a circuit board to allow the installation of the xport in any plane with an extra channel for the "button" called the EZ-Xport . don't confuse the other information on the page which refers to the EZ-ESC. it has nothing to do with the EZ-XPORT. It's just a different module he also sells.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6172275

I know for a fact that he still sells them as of 3 months ago because I bought one for my t-28 Trojan which is using DX Tx. I switched over one of my supercubs to have ailerons and a larger motor with DX Tx and used one in that also and am contemplating putting one on my Pitts Biplane. The are very small (really not a weight consideration) and work great. You will also have to buy servo extensions but you will know what to get when you see the module. His instructions are very clear (see pdf reference in his post)

I agree whole heartedly about the xport. I would not have changed from the stock plane if I couldn't still have the xport. In fact I still keep one cub completely stock just in case.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:28 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there guys!!!

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the "White" Plastic Battery frame that hold the main landing gear?

I Love to spin my Super Cub and two weekends ago, I made the mistake of killing all power to it and allowed her to get REAL close to mother Earth and it pancaked in. Amazingly, (as a result of my ORACOL "Film" covering) the model did not sustained any airframe damage except to say a Right Broken Strut and a "Cracked" up "WHITE" Plastic battery frame piece.

I really hate to go buy a complete FUSE assembly just for this small part!!

Anyone help?

Thanks!
Carlos
Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 AM
guapoman2000

Does anyone has a busted up Super Cub that they like to part with?????

Anyone????

Seems like Horizon Hobby does not sell this part separately!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 AM
mesaba

It doesn't look like it would be too hard to fashion one from some model-type plywood.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 AM
DaxFX

go to hobyzone.com !! go to supercub page and click on part list !! there is all the parts of the SC.

for the fried motor guy if you pluged directly to a battery and does not spin 1 thing sure is busted !! get a new one for 10 bucks. if the prop was stock on the tree and you let the thrutle up it will burn..

here is my SC feedback ! i change all electronics on my Cub to a Futaba 6exa system and went with e-flight 6g servos 4 of them. I made ailerons with mixing channel to get flaperons. now I have a 5 channel SC. i have an extra channel on the RX and i am thinking to ad an extra servo to open and clos the bay on the bottom of the tail !! to usit like a droping bay! some time ago some 1 post it here that mod and was very cool he was droping eggs filled with flour. that was very cool and much better than the drop module on the the x-port. ok now i got all stock electronics from the SC and a extra main wing that I never use ( so i am going to ordered a new fuselage for $25.00 use the extra wing I have here and ordered a new tail wing set for $10 bucks so for $35 i will have a complete new SC and leav it like stock !! in the past i never want to mod my SC because was so good relaxing flyer that I love that way and since I have like 6 planes more some with ailerons like my brushless focus I ever leave the SC like that . when I buy the futaba radio for my Focus i got some extra rx more and i have in my closset lots of servo I have evrithing for made the ailerons but never wanted untill last week that I dicide to went on the aileron but just only because i will ordered the new fuselage to still having a stock SC.

my aileron SC is performing very well I am able to do rolls and some cool aerobatics but since still with diedhral and the weight of the battery on bottom is dificult to maintain an inverted flew.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: DaxFX

go to hobyzone.com !! go to supercub page and click on part list !! there is all the parts of the SC.
Hey, listen!!!!

I did do that and all they have is the Battery Hatch Door and NOT and I repeat, NOT the Plastic Frame that holds the Main Landing gear!!![:@]
Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
raz54

Hey guys. It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd give an update on my SC. It has the stock motor but all the electronics are separates and I added ailerons and a flat wing several months ago and run it on a 3s lipo with a 10x6 prop. My latest mod was to clip the wing by a total of 6.5", 3.25" off each end. That has really made a difference. It handles wind much better now and is naturally more aerobatic now too. I thought it might make it 'twitchy' or sensitive but it actually feels more stable now and on my test flights there was a 8-10 mph wind and it flew like it was calm. To keep the plane looking symmetrical I cut the tail feathers a little too, to remove the rounded sections.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58844.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	952625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48779.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	952626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21091.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	952627  
Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 PM
DaxFX

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

Hey, listen!!!!

I did do that and all they have is the Battery Hatch Door and NOT and I repeat, NOT the Plastic Frame that holds the Main Landing gear!!![:@]
whatever !! good luck in your search. i think you will have to buy the fuselage "rudeman"
Old 05-19-2008, 03:31 PM
mesaba

Hey, if you go to ebay and search for Hobbyzone Super Cub, there is a store that called Hobb-e-mart that sells the SUper Cub for parts. At the bottom of their listings they have exactly what's wrong with them. Sometimes you can get nearly an entirely new plane for nuthin'.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
guapoman2000

Hey Amigo,

I apologize for coming a little rough on edges! It is pretty silly for Horizon / Hobby Zone to not stock this part (White Frame for battery opening) as you get lots of abuse on landings and inserting and taking out battery packs!!

I just got off the telephone with Dan from Hobby Zone and he told me that this is the manner in which the distributor sells these items, you have to buy the entire FUSE assembly, period. I really does not make any sense for anyone to justify this as they keep saying, "OH, IT IS BOLTED ON THE FUSE" and I say wrong, it is not different than the Plastic Wirewall for the motor!!!!

Dan was more simpathic and gave me the toll free number for Horizon Hobbies and I talked to Matt, a Senior Technical Support person who apologized to me that told me the same thing. I suggested to see if they can make availalbe this part in an experimental condition for those of us that do not want a New Fuse!!! He then suggested for me to fill out an internal e-mail message from their web site and contact Product Support. I told them that it is no different than the Plastic Firewall part as that one also comes with the bare Fuse assembly for $20+ US + shipping.

Here's their direct e-mail address in case anyone else has the same issue:

[email protected]

To gain access to their internal e-mail system at their web site:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Horizon/ContactHorizon.aspx

Thanks!
Carlos

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

Hey, listen!!!!

whatever !! good luck in your search. i think you will have to buy the fuselage "rudeman"
Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
guapoman2000

Thank you, I am a regular customer!!!

That's where I got my first Super Cub and my #2 T-28 Trojan!!

Good suggestion!

ORIGINAL: mesaba

Hey, if you go to ebay and search for Hobbyzone Super Cub, there is a store that called Hobb-e-mart that sells the SUper Cub for parts. At the bottom of their listings they have exactly what's wrong with them. Sometimes you can get nearly an entirely new plane for nuthin'.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:52 PM
raz54

ORIGINAL: mesaba

Good luck.

What I was told is Hobb-e-mart 'is' Horizons online store, that's how they get all those returned planes so if Horizon doesn't have it Hobb-e-mart won't either.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM
DaxFX

I buy fron hobbyzone.com a lot too and I have speak several times with Dan !! is a good person .

there is another websit called redrocket hobbie that have an exellent costumer service or you can go diectly to horizonhobby

I have check all those websites and non have that part ! I have notice something wierd I think that in the past that part was sold but they removed as a separeted part from the part listing. I notice all the part number have a secuence and the battery dore is HBZ7112 and the part befor is HBZ7110 so the HBZ7111 is missing in all part listing that I chek on diferent websites. could be that the hatch ?? lets ask mythbuster to find out !!!

why you dont try to make it yourself with basswood you could spend only 3 or 4 bucks by that I mean the batty hatch!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 AM
tumby1974

I need to trim my rudder and tail flap(correct word?), but to make them level, the trim bars need to be all the way over to get them to trim out level. Is there a way to "reset" these so I don't need to trim all the way to get them to be aligned properly? I was thinking I could remove the clevis (?) and pull on the wires to manually move them to get it to align correctly.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 AM
DaxFX

ORIGINAL: tumby1974

I need to trim my rudder and tail flap(correct word?), but to make them level, the trim bars need to be all the way over to get them to trim out level. Is there a way to "reset" these so I don't need to trim all the way to get them to be aligned properly? I was thinking I could remove the clevis (?) and pull on the wires to manually move them to get it to align correctly.
put trims on mid point on transmitter with the SC turned on then move the servo arms to mid point if still out of level then move the pushrod plastic end by screw in or out to get the correct level trim. you need the servo arm at mid point if not you will get more travel to one side. Tail Flaps are called Rudder and Elevator.

here is my mod to 5 channel (flaperons)

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaeJFJFCEmI]SuperCub Flaperon mod[/link]
Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 PM
cjg

ORIGINAL: tumby1974

put trims on mid point on transmitter with the SC turned on then move the servo arms to mid point if still out of level then move the pushrod plastic end by screw in or out to get the correct level trim. you need the servo arm at mid point if not you will get more travel to one side. Tail Flaps are called Rudder and Elevator.

here is my mod to 5 channel (flaperons)

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaeJFJFCEmI]SuperCub Flaperon mod[/link]
The final step is to turn the clevis to adjust the length to fine tune the trim. The clevis acts as a turnbuckle to shorten or lengthen the wires.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 AM
jokerman67

I was just wondering how many amps the SC draws a full throttle with stock motor and prop?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:25 AM
DaxFX

The final step is to turn the clevis to adjust the length to fine tune the trim. The clevis acts as a turnbuckle to shorten or lengthen the wires.
thats is what I try to say when I say the plastics ends of the pushrod !! sorry but remember that you need to play a little of tetris with my english !! [:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.