Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models - Honda Ha-420

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Nitro Models - Honda Ha-420

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:53 PM
The Ponz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Models - Honda Ha-420

I just purchased a new Nitro Models - Honda HA-420. I'm interested to hear from anyone who has put together and flown this plane.

I'm would like to know what engine setup was used and what type of retracts were installed if any?

Finally, any advise in regard to setting up the plane for flight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 PM
opjose

Default RE: Nitro Models - Honda Ha-420

Yeah that plane looks REALLY nice...

There's a thread here where the power setup is fully detailed. Try a search for "nitroplanes honda jet" or "honda Jet".

Old 05-21-2008, 08:53 PM
The Ponz

I finally got the plane together and got her in the air. The plane weighs about six pounds with no retracts at this time.

The fixed gear supports must the be reinforced as they are flimsy at best. All three gear failed upon running off the pavement onto the grass.

The electric motors flew the plane OK. I had to use regular props because the electric pusher props were not easily available. I hope to replace the standard props with APC Electric 10x8 pushers, which hopefully will be more efficient. The kit recommends 12 inch props, but even 11 inch props will hit the fusalage.

The Honda Jet sure looks good in the air, even with fixed gear. I still have to get used to electric power, as this is my first electric. The lack of motor noise sure is different, as I still equate motor sound with power and speed.

If and when I feel the plane will handle the extra weight of the retracts, I hope to install them.

Ben
Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 PM
opjose

What did you use to power the plane?

I'm tempted to get one and put in better retracts.

Why would the pusher prop be more efficient if you've reversed the engine on the standard prop?

I could understand why you may want to do this on one prop, to get counter-rotating props, but there should be no difference in efficiency.

The prop doesn't know where the motor is, and unlike Nitro engines, the rotation direction of the motor has no effect.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:54 PM
The Ponz

I have used GH7820 06 Brushless Motors with 45A ESCs, from Grayson Hobby. The ESC do not have BECs and I have a separate battery to power the radio.

The instructions for the plane show the ESCs in the main fuselage. This would require a long leads from the ESCs to the motors necells out on the wing pylons. I was informed by fellow modelers, that this would be a mistake.

I placed the ESCs behind the motors inside the pylons and ran 12 inch wire leads from the ESCs to the batteries in the front of the fuselage.

I am using two Thunder Power 4500 3 cell 11.1 batteries to power the motors. Last week I made the first successful flight and flew for about eight minutes. When I recharged the batteries, they took about 3000 mah each to recharge with my Triton 2 charger.

At this time I am using Master Airscrew 10x8 regular props. I had intended to use APC 11X7s electric props, but one they were to long and hit the fuselage and also because of the design of the props they rubbed against the necells. I would have to extend the motor mount rearward to use the standard APC props.

I hope to use APC 10x8 pusher electric props, which would hopefully be more efficient with more thrust.

In regard to installing retracts. I intend to fly the plane with fixed gear for a number of flights. Once I am convinced the extra weight can be handled, I would like to install retracts as well as struts.

Ben
Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 AM
flyboytha1
My Feedback: (30)

Who Makes The Motors You Use, Will (2 Eflite) Size 46 Work For This Plane?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:19 PM
The Ponz

The engines were purchased from Grayson Hobby. They were rated to replace 25 to 35 glow engines. The engines flew the plane fine.

The plane itself may not handle larger engines. The engine pylons that are attached to the wings, are only so strong.

Best of luck.

Ben
Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 PM
flyboytha1
My Feedback: (30)

Here's My Honda Jet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCcgbTtx68