Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 PM
NitroNate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

On page 76 I posted some pics of my Firestorm with moabs & some pics of my track.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:52 PM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

Hey everyone. I am thinking of joining the firestorm family. How is this good looking truck do in back yard bashing? I am deciding on either dropping $250 on a used RC10gt with upgrades or one of these babys brand new. How durable are they?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I love mine so far, it seems to almost always end up on its wheels even if you miss your landing. It has taken quite a few hard hits to curbs and the wall of my house and never even flinched.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
kordasn

ORIGINAL: tomcatguy74

Hey everyone. I am thinking of joining the firestorm family. How is this good looking truck do in back yard bashing? I am deciding on either dropping $250 on a used RC10gt with upgrades or one of these babys brand new. How durable are they?
Amazingly durable, they are amazing. I doubt you would find anyone countering this. Moreover, you can see from the polls conducted in this forum that it's the heavy favorite. I'm sure that the RC10gt is nice and everything, but the FS is just so good. The only reason I'd say no to anyone, is if your LHS didn't carry those parts.

-Matt
Old 05-21-2008, 10:32 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: maty b

ok, thanks! surely though with the extra grip and traction, you would be substituting speed and stability?

secondly, i would be very appreciative if anyone knows wheree a pic of a firestorm with MOABS on is?
thanks!!!
I wouldn't say you are substituting much if any speed. you may actually gain a little. the moabs are about an inch taller than the stock tires so with each revolution of the wheel you get more forward motion, but they are heavier and therefore take more power to turn. as far as stability goes you do loose some if you are doing a alot of high speed cornering. the stock tires would just slide and the moabs grip so they don't slide as much . here are some pics of my storm with the moabs. Oh and one more thing, you Will Need a wheelie bar with the moabs[>:][>:][>:][>:]

Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 PM
kordasn

ok, thanks! surely though with the extra grip and traction, you would be substituting speed and stability?

secondly, i would be very appreciative if anyone knows wheree a pic of a firestorm with MOABS on is?
thanks!!!
My LHS seems to sell them for double tower's price? I am pretty sure they are not selling 2 tires; it's usually approximately 30~40% more expensive in Canada for most small parts (at my LHS anyway) from the tower price, but not usually double (http://www.hobbyhobby.com/store/prod...ducts_id=17737 $22.99 vs $11.99). Has anyone who browses here had any experience in shipping to Canada from Tower? Does Tower even ship to Canada? For things like tyres, that I don't need immediately, it's a bargain if it comes out to say $15 each from tower vs 44, because I could buy quite a few of them, incl some for my MT2, and maybe even throw in some other stuff with the order.

-Matt
Old 05-21-2008, 11:38 PM
supersound99ss

taller tires essentially gear up the truck, so it has better accerlation but they reduce top speed b/c the engine is now having to turn more per rotation of the wheel........the moabs probably don't that much top end up and are definitely BA tires
Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 AM
rclynx

[sm=confused.gif] ~HUH~ [sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 AM
tokenring

ORIGINAL: kordasn

thanks!!!
My LHS seems to sell them for double tower's price? I am pretty sure they are not selling 2 tires; it's usually approximately 30~40% more expensive in Canada for most small parts (at my LHS anyway) from the tower price, but not usually double (http://www.hobbyhobby.com/store/prod...ducts_id=17737 $22.99 vs $11.99). Has anyone who browses here had any experience in shipping to Canada from Tower? Does Tower even ship to Canada? For things like tyres, that I don't need immediately, it's a bargain if it comes out to say $15 each from tower vs 44, because I could buy quite a few of them, incl some for my MT2, and maybe even throw in some other stuff with the order.

-Matt

Hey Matt!!! I'm from Canada too and I always wonder the same thing - THE PRICE!!! When I order parts from the states (exceedRC - lol) there is usually no duty and I just pay what they ask... but if a truck or car or helicopter comes over, then usually customs will put duty on it. The damn store down there even put the value of the contents (truck @ nothing) but they are smart at the border and watch for this stuff. I'm sure it will end up costing the same at the end.

I just bought my Firestorm about 6 weeks ago from HobbyHobby for $279 +tax came to about $313. If i bought it from TowerHobbies @ $249 (thats including the $20 off) it would have ended up the same. I called them and asked them what the shipping costs were, which was about $25 for anything over 5 lbs and the duty was about $25 also.

I'd rather have it now and not save 5 bucks!!! Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:26 AM
tokenring

...So if it (your order) is small parts and the total is relatively cheap, maybe go over the border???

Old 05-22-2008, 06:29 AM
tokenring

Okay! So my question...

I broke 2 ribs off my heat sink last night while at Dirt Jumps in Burlington (http://www.burlingtondirtjumps.com/ - site is not up yet, but you should see the damn track) when going off one of the tabletops my truck flipped over in the air and landed on its back!

I could only find the exact same heat sink (stock) for the Nitro Star G3.0 engine. Is there another performance heat sink I can get for my Firestorm???

AB
Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 AM
tokenring

ORIGINAL: brett65

I wouldn't mind it tokenring, but to make it permanent you would have to get the ok from the mods to make it a sticky. Then everybody might want a sticky for something else. That's why they have the engine forums and other similar type forums.
true about the other threads... but thats what I'm trying to get away from... searching a bunch of threads for a few tips. I looked over this thread again (official firestorm...) and most of the questions from the noobs are about tuning. Even if the thread isn't sticky, I'm sure it will always be on the first page

p.s My truck is running sweet, thanks to you!!!!!!!! Last night I tuned it right up. Tonight I'm doing the throttle servo and brakes!!!

AB
Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
NitroNate

ORIGINAL: supersound99ss

taller tires essentially gear up the truck, so it has better accerlation but they reduce top speed b/c the engine is now having to turn more per rotation of the wheel........the moabs probably don't that much top end up and are definitely BA tires
Do you know what your talking about???I have moabs on my storm and it can go around 50mph now.
I messured the circumfrence of the moabs and found out that the moabs increase speed by 18%.
Smaller tires will give more acceleration.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 AM
tokenring

I'll clear this up cuz I'm a physics guy... well sort of ;-)

taking out the factors resistance and more work to move the bigger tire, yes a bigger tire will make the top end faster. Why?

if you have a tire with a circumference of say 10 units and the motor does one full turn, the car will move 10 units in that direction.
if you put a tire on that same truck that has a circumference of 20 units and the motor turns one full turn, the car will now move 20 units in that direction.

If it takes the motor to do that 1 turn the exact same amount of time in both scenarios, then yes scenario #2 the car will be going 2x as fast.

here is the kicker

because the tire is bigger and heavier it will cause more load on the motor, so in real life it might only go 1.5x as fast instead of the theoretical amount of 2x

Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 AM
tokenring

its likes the gears on a bike... you put it on a high gear (big gear) it will take you longer to get going (acceleration) but once you do (top speed) it will be much quicker than a small gear...

anyone got answers for the heat sink?

AB
Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 AM
FirestormBasher

ORIGINAL: supersound99ss

Well no,

The larger tires gear DOWN the ratio. With a larger tire, your topend will increase, as a small tire it will decrease. But beware if you already have a larger clutch gear, the larger tire will make your truck slow off the line. Same as smaller tire will cause to much tire spin. I have found it best to run these trucks with stock gearing, stock tire size for track use. Now for bashing and long range speed runs, just get a 21t clutch.

For example;
My mustang has a 4.11:1 rear gear ratio, running stock diameter tires(26") will put me short of the quarter mile marker, hitting rev limiter about 250' short (112mph). Now I'm running 28" tires, running completly trhough the traps with 200 rpm left (118 mph). So you will have to play around with the numbers to see what works best for you.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 PM
supersound99ss

yea sorry guys i shouldn't post when i just wake up....i mean to say taller tires increase the ratio at the expense of weight, course our firestorms don't weight much to start so im sure the g3.0 can handle it without a decrease in accerlation
Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 PM
tokenring

no one knows a place where I can get a replacement heat sink for this puppy that isn't stock?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 PM
kordasn

ORIGINAL: tokenring
Hey Matt!!! I'm from Canada too and I always wonder the same thing - THE PRICE!!! When I order parts from the states (exceedRC - lol) there is usually no duty and I just pay what they ask... but if a truck or car or helicopter comes over, then usually customs will put duty on it. The damn store down there even put the value of the contents (truck @ nothing) but they are smart at the border and watch for this stuff. I'm sure it will end up costing the same at the end.

I just bought my Firestorm about 6 weeks ago from HobbyHobby for $279 +tax came to about $313. If i bought it from TowerHobbies @ $249 (thats including the $20 off) it would have ended up the same. I called them and asked them what the shipping costs were, which was about $25 for anything over 5 lbs and the duty was about $25 also.

I'd rather have it now and not save 5 bucks!!! Hope this helps.
Yea I know what you mean, most of the time I want the parts IMMEDIATELY, 10 MINUTES AGO, RIGHT NOW! But maybe not with tires.

no one knows a place where I can get a replacement heat sink for this puppy that isn't stock?
Why not just get another stock HS?
Old 05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
maty b

cheers for the pictures! your truck looks awsome mate! i reckon i will go for them! can't wait....

for the firestorm do i need M2 or M3? i dont wanna order the rong ones!!

also is the wheely bar required or will it just go out of control without it?
thanx
Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 PM
NitroNate

Thanks.

A wheelie bar is a must if you thread the shock collars all the way down.(Higher ground clearance)
Just use a spare a-arm and fasten it to the bottom of the batt box,OR,if you have a Savage,I can link you a better wheelie bar setup that is made from Savage upper a-arms.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:46 PM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

I am really dying to get one to drive all over my neighborhood. Do they run well through grass?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM
NitroNate

If its the grass on the lawn,then yes.But if its more than 8 inches,no ST can go through.But if you have moabs on it it'll go through with ease.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:19 AM
tokenring

Hey Kordasn...

I guess I can get a stock one... but I was hoping that there was a better performance one (hop up) I guess. If not, I'll just get the stock one again... sigh

Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

If you're talking about a cooling head for the engine, go to ebay and just type in "hpi cooling head", and look for the one for the g3.0, it's polished aluminum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.