Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Slow Stick Survey

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GWS Slow Stick Survey

Blxpy - don't fret about the breakages, I think I went to the same flying school as yourself!!!! At the moment I'm needing a new motor mount, one thats bulletproof. But Ithink I'm now using the perfect set-up for my flying, an E-max 2822 and a 10 x 5 prop with 3S 1300 lipo. Loads of pull and the prop is an E-Flite one from another 3D Profile and hasn't broken yet - it bends then bends back into place. Nice.
Has anybody tried slopee flying with the SS. I can't get a decent mount for 4 days so thought I'd try sloping it from my fave flying site, a field thats has a 150ft.+ drop (gradual). Any tips would be fine, nose weight etc. See you all later......
Old 05-20-2008, 09:58 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Earlier in this thread we were talking about the SS being able to do a roll like an Aileron style plane does. I have never been able to do it and I have tried many times. Last sunday I was at a local schoolyard with my flying partner and his hopped up SS did one of the most perfect Forward Flight rolls I have ever seen. Of course i was outside the fence smoking a ciggie (no smoking on public school grounds) so I did not have a chance to video that one. I begged him to land the plane and let me get the cam set up. Murphys Law kicked in. He landed safely and I fired up the vid cam. As he was making his downwind run to get turned around he lost control and stuffed it in the ground.
The roll can be accomplished but the conditions must be right. A slight breeze to fly into and as much power as the SS can handle without ripping the wings off, then a roll to the right using the torque of the motor to help. He said he started with a little up elevator then went to the lower right corner (full up ELE and Right Rud) and it just rolled almost on its own axis. We will be practicing this move and will definately get some vid of the plane both on the ground to prove theres no ailerons and also in the air.
It can be done...............

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
MikeC557

A roll without ailerons? Does he have the stock dihedral or did he flatten out the wing?

Mike
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Woodsy

Yep the standard SS can roll fine (ok a bit wonky looking, bore like a vistory roll) without ailerons, it's just a matter of feeding in the correct ruder and elevator
Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 AM
blk822

I have the stock dihedral and the only hop up is a e-flite 370 outrunner. I'm the one Arrow is talking about.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:38 AM
tam popo

Blk822 - Thats a nice motor. An e-mail pal (mongrel) is hopping up his Catalina which has brushed motors in a GWS g/box (I think!!), and he's wanting to up the power by going b/less. Do you think that E-Flite 380 will fit the g/box?
Thanks for any info.....
Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 AM
tam popo

Blk822 - you do realise what you've done, don't you? Right now there's 2 thousand SS flyers trying to get theirs to roll - all thanks to YOU!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 AM
ArrowNaughtic

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Blk822 - you do realise what you've done, don't you? Right now there's 2 thousand SS flyers trying to get theirs to roll - all thanks to YOU!!!!!!
LOL tam! the thing is although the LUCKY bastige did it first.....still no video proof. The true credit must be given to the one who does it on film. Jus kidd'n................ It was simply amazing to watch, and the kicker is, he did it twice before landing it. Those were good around the stick rolls and not the victory loops style. I think the Eflite 370 brushless has alot to do with it as well as the prop. I have a much smaller brushless on mine and am running a APC 8 x 6 electric on mine, not sure if mine will produce as much torque as his does. I am definately going to try it a number of times this weekend and will be videoing the entire flights. Hopefully blk822 will be kind enough to let me have the cam running this time so he can show us all how its done. If he perfects it I will also do a cam shot of the sticks as he does the roll too.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
tam popo

ArrowN - hope you get the vid,i'm very curious, for 2 reasons. (1) I want to see it and know how its done in real-time and (2) see how good he is with the sticks. Is he a "natural" or does it come from pure practice?

I was thinking: You just won the Lottery and its XMas Day, you find a bottle with a Genie in it and your fairy Godmother who looks like JLo([8D]) all give you your perfect SS - what would be the perfect specification? This is only for those who have too much time on their hands cos they can't get out to fly - keep it short and sweet.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM
blk822

I have a hard time thinking about how I really did it. It was just a slight hand movment and the plane went around. I started to laugh after it happened and then when I did it again to prove to mysef what I had done I really started to crack up. Then I had to land so Arrow could get his composure and camera. JK.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:07 PM
ArrowNaughtic

ya blk..........the funny thing is that you decided to sweeten the susprise and make us all wait till this coming weekend to let me get video of it. I usually don't butt out a ciggie before its finished but this was one of those deals that I had to see it done again. Then of course you pull the ooooooooopppppps, i crashed card so we would all have to wait a week. I think I am getting to know yer tricks u shiester and will be keeping a closer eye on what plane or heli you pull out of the back of your rig.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 PM
justin_urke
My Feedback: (3)

Number of cells: 8 i used a mAh2500 last for a long time

ESC model: a great ESC for cheap is a Eagle 30A BRUSHED ESC you can get one for $7.44 at
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...2819&cda=42819
this thing has some great featurs for the price

Servos: i went with a 9g Corona Digital Servo vary fast high torque you can find tem at http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...2sec&cda=42819

Receiver: Corona Synthesized Receiver 4Ch 72Mhz (v2) this thing is the best resiver ever no cristal needed!!![X(] poitive and nagative shift and only $22.95 and way more check it out at http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5781&cda=42819

Motor (stock or...): gws 400c got one of ebay for $12.00

Modifications: i rebuilt the landing gear to make it stronger
[font="Tahoma"]have fun, Urke

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65041.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	955529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82869.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	955530  
Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Just a thought you know guys/gales this and other topics for the SS will never die you can hop them up as much as you want it to be done fly the wings off mod any part of it fly combat or sunday afternoon slow flying it does not matter what combo you try you can just have fun i have seen so many SS nothing matters it a great flying light weight plane have fun injoy it while they are a cheap and fun plane
Old 05-24-2008, 02:21 AM
tam popo

Justin - a nice, well thought out SS. Its good to see brushed 400 for a change, b/less seems the way to go for many - whatever rocks your boat. It is possible to put 3S lipos thru that 400 brushed, cos I've done it in an EZ* with no problems at all and its still going strong in another plane. And if you can get a 400 in the g/box why not a 480, hmmmmm, thats an idea!!!!!

Layback - you're right, its a very versatile plane but I would like to see some companies selling the SS built-up to suit the customer - some people can't read instructions!!!

I'm using a full range AR6200 RX in my SS since getting the DX6i - of course its expensive, but you won't lose the plane out of range and the height it goes is amazing - my 57-y-old eyesight isn't what it used to be[][&o] You also get the advantage of experimenting with expo and settings etc, this means you can set low rates for take-off which stops the SS going vert and stalling then switch to normal rates in-flight. Great improvement.

See you all later, and nice to see you here Justin - what else do you fly????
Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 AM
walkermsg

Good photo's, just one question, what keeps the rear wheel from folding up ? Wouldn't a screw or wire in the next lower hole keep this from happening ? I might borrow this idea if you don't mind. It looks like Teak wood. Nice workmanship . I use Lipos on my SS and put a sound module on that can be turned on and off with the xmtr. It draws attention when you dive using the machine gun sound module. They also have the Merlin engine sound. Can't remember the company that sells these small kits. If anyone is interested I will look it up.
Jay
Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Luv2Flyallday

ok, i've been on here before my SS was flying and asked a few questions and such. Here is what i ended up with....

I have a mostly stock slow stick with.....

Motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJTU6&P=ML

ESC: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-35.html

ESC adapter: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPCE8&P=ML

servos: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLRS75

Reciever: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPR921

Battery: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=THP22003SXV

TX: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...egory=Included

Motor mount: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=EFLM1915

(had to make a balsa disk to convert the 3 hole mount motor to be able to mount on this 4 hole motor mount.)

Some of this stuff seems a bit much but its what i had laying around believe it or not. I flew this thing 4 times so far. 2 times with the old balsa disk,(it was cut bad and lacked strength) and 2 with the new one. The new one is cylindrical, soaked in thin C.A. for strength. I didn't build any thrust into the mount. I find that when i apply power, it climps ALOT! This thing has some serious kick! I thought this battery was wayyyyy to heavy...i was going to go and buy a 910 or a 1320..but this tiny motor had plenty of power to pull this thing around. Not just pull it, yank it! I can literally hover this thing, it's that much power. I hooked it up to a watt meter and it showed, static idle, .3 amps being pulled, .7 with all the servo's moving, 14 amps at full throttle turning a 9x3.8. As of now, i'm very pleased with it. I flew my 3rd flight for over 30 minutes. I pulled up a chair at the field and just enjoyed myself. I also put in a P-mix that enables my rudder to be controlled by either stick; the aileron or the rudder. Very simple and effective way of eliminating thoughs, "i thought the rudder was the rudder...".

I'll post some pics later this week.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 AM
justin_urke
My Feedback: (3)

i have 2 coter pins in the rear so it can barly move.[8D]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lj23813.pdf (85.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 AM
tam popo

Luv2fly - Wow, thats a bit OTT on the specification!! Nice but very, very expensive. It seems you have a lot of expensive stuff lying around, do you want to share your cast-off boxes with me That TX and RX are way too OTT, i'm using a DX6i and I thing that is overdong it, but it is full range. I use a webshop here called Giantcod (???) and its half the prices of my usual shops for everything, my costs have come down a hell of lot - part of the fun of this sport/hobby is the "shopping". If women do it all the time why can't we!!!!
I worked out the cost of my set-up and its $340 for everything, including the SS, b/less, lipo and a DX6i and AR6200 RX - everything. Thank Gawd for the Chinese.......
Old 05-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Luv2Flyallday

ya, just the tx, rx, and the battery top over 700$.... lolz. Ya, i am using the reciever for now untill i get a 6200 or a 6100... i want full range so i may as well get the 6200.

man, wind really blows this thing all over the place... i luv to fly in the wind but man...the wing is getting blown over 180 degrees. That's a bit much....
Old 05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
tam popo

Luv2 - you are not the only one!!! The wind in Glasgow comes straight off the Atlantic and rarely goes under 10mph - I fly the SS (if I'm lucky!!) once every 8/9 days[] The 6200 full range is great, it realy gives a sense of complete control and you know you'll never be out of range.....a good choice. Maybe flying tomorrow....see ya.....
Old 05-31-2008, 06:21 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Luv, I had a bp-21 and a 3s battery in mine and went to fly it "in some breeze" I took off and the plane reached about 40' and the wind switched gears. I kept the nose in the wind and tried to get the plane to land near me, I ended upfourty ' behind my start position and sort ot horizontally hovered it into position to land. I had to just plop it down.

Tim
Old 06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Luv2Flyallday

ya, wind and slowsticks just don't mix. I recently cut out the slots for the ailerons, hinged them, and hotglued 2 servo's in place. I now have some aileron control. I did this due to a flight in my front yard, over our bayou and the wind caught it, fliped it, and it headed straight for the water. I used all the throw i had to save it and almost skimmed my right wheel in the water.(would have looked really cool if i had done it on purpose :] ) I then went out on a not so windy day and flew it with the new aileron mod. It seems like the thing just doesn't want to kick over the wing. It gets at a 35 degree angle and thats it. I'm not so sure the ailerons have crippeled the way the plane flies just yet, but i've heard they fly like a pig with them.... As of now, i'm not seeing it, but hey, only have one 45 second flight on the thing. If you guys want some pics, let me know, i'll show you my set-up as it stands right know.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Sir Raleigh

Most information I've read about adding ailerons to the SS say to run them the entire length of the wing. Those fake ailerons are just too small to give the wing enough lift to flip the SS over on her back.

Some people don't cut out the fake ailerons but will run a strip of balsa about 1-1/2" wide attached to the TE of the wing the entire length. That seems to work pretty well.

Another windy day mod is to tape a flat piece of foam to the bottom of the wing. This makes the wing a flat bottom and reduces the lift enough to cut through some pretty tough wind. It also makes the SS fly a bit faster, too.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Luv2Flyallday

Wow, some great tips there man. Thanx alot. I have a guy that flys at my local field and he reinforced his wing with carbon, and also glued a piece of 2mm foam to the bottom of his wing. Also, instead of using the stock tail, he used the elevator, cut it in half, set the 2 pieces 45 degress, and made a v-tail. Since i'm an instructor at the field, he let me fly the thing first. He also had just the "Fake ailerons" cut out. I noticed here that it rolled it over with a touch of rudder just fine. This was what made me go and buy a slow stick.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Sir Raleigh

Going to the trouble of moding the tail to a "V", he might as well have bought a Slo-V. That's exactly what a Slo-V is, a Slow Stick with a "V" tail...

As for the sheet of Styrofoam on the bottom of the wing, if you tape it on you can then remove it when you want the wing back to stock. Tape it on... Take it off... Two wings in one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.