Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Piston cuts

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Jammin Jake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston cuts

Well i have a bunch of worn out Novarossi's layin around.. and ive been studyin there piston and sleves and internal compontes... But one thing ive noticed is my Rossi Black magic..(old team line motor..) has 0 cuts on the piston...(horizontal) and it still has tons of compression but the seal of my crankshaft and crankcase has gone kuput so its leakin out the front... But the Novarossis witch ive run the life out of... they have about 2-3- or 4 cuts on the piston and well personally stock novarosis dont seem to last all that long...So
If there is cuts horizontally on the piston that allows compresson to be leaked by from the vertical cuts that every piston attains over its life span...So why in the world are there horizontal cuts on the pistons?
Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 PM
SManMTB

Default RE: Piston cuts

They trap some oil to improve lubrication.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Jammin Jake

Yea i had a friend i race with also say that but wasnt quite sure on it... But so far thats what it seems and makes sense...Thx..[8D]
Old 05-25-2008, 09:40 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As SManMTB said, they're to provide an oil seal and usually there's only one groove but some engines have two. I'm not sure if you meant your old Rossi was an old control line team race engine but if so it'd be a diesel. And probably worth a fortune. No wait, they're a heap of garbage so I'll take it off your hands if you like .
Old 05-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Jammin Jake

Lol... yea i reckon thats what they are...thats the only thing that explains why they are there other than to gyp ya...But yea its and old Rossi Black Magic..Its got that old crasy airplane lookin head, big ole silver thing with vertical fins..But yea the motor is by far the best engine weve ever had. We got it off ebay brand new fur 150[8D] and weve been racin with it for around a year and a half now...but shes leakin out the front now so its merely a back up engine... But yea, a stock one, the carb and all is HUMONGOUS... i can almost stick my pinky thru the carb... then there are allready cuts and mods to the piston and sleve and thats factory...but then agin this is a team line engine..so thats prolly what it has to do with it.

The same thing(lookin) BUT mine has a silver head

http://morrishobbies.com/images/Rossi125R21.jpg