Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Difference betwwen clutch bells?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Xt2 pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference betwwen clutch bells?

i was wondering what the difference is betwwen say a 12T clutch bell and a 21T Clutch bell

i realise that one would give more top end and the other would give lower end but which one is which??

i cant really say how adding a couple teeth to it could make a difference?

any help cheers!!
Old 05-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Jammin Jake

Default RE: Difference betwwen clutch bells?

12t can give you that bottom end punch... you kno off the line.. But 21t can make your top speed much faster but itll take longer to get there. But goin from a 12 to even a 14t make ALOT of differnce...21t... i wouldnt wanna do it unles im runnin on a HUGE oval track... I usualy run 13 or 14t clutchbell everywhere i go..depends on the track..Now adding a tooth or to on the Spur gear isnt much but it still affects it....
Old 05-25-2008, 11:31 AM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

Heck just 1 tooth makes a big difference, less teeth will lessen the load on the motor, more teeth, more load. Now the spur is just the oppisite, more teeth on the spur creats a bigger circummference, lessening the load, and vice versa...
Old 05-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Jammin Jake

Word ^ usually you wanna do a 48 or maybe a 46. A 46 will give you top end speed... but as mentorman was sayin itll put more load on the engine... But if you go lower on the clutch bell then the load will lessen witch means more bottom end torque, but your top speed will not be as fast.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:17 PM
NitroTherapist

Pinion on the left, Spur on the right
oO= more bottom end
Oo=more top end
Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 PM
kweezinarts

imagine if you swapped the 2 [sm=what_smile.gif]...
Old 05-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Jammin Jake

Lol...all i got to say is "Talladega" .... that would be frikkin sweet..lol
Old 05-26-2008, 01:48 PM
125cchyperman

Most of the time one single tooth on the clutch bell is about 2 teeth on the spur gear, About it's not always that way though

So the gear ratio of that would be absolutely crazy as long as the Pinion gear would remain the same. But if you change the pinion gear size then the speed could actually stay the same as long a syou made the right adjustment to the size, also the tire size also determins overal speed. The smaller the tire the faster you'll accelerate but the slower the overall top speed will be. But the larger the tire the smaller the acceleration will be but the faster overal top speed you will have.

There's a lot that determines overall speed, rollout is the best way to determine your speed. Actually if you know your exact engine's max rpm's or rpm's at a certain point in time you can tell exactly how fast your going that particular moment in time.......... Pretty cool actually