Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli F8F

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:45 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli F8F

Just purchased a short kit from Lazar Lizard and now have the plans from Ziroli. Being as this is my first attempt at this type of build, do I need anything else. I have been in the hobby 35 years and figured its time to build my "dream plane". I have built many kits, everything thing from bipes to P 40's but thats what they were...kits. Complete with plans, wood and instructions. I don't care how long it takes or the expense ( don't tell my wife!) I want it done right. I've sent for documentation and some of Dave Platt's videos and won't start until I've got a direction and goal. Thanks Joe
Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ziroli F8F

Good luck. Your first plan build is always an exersise in frustration, learning and enlightenment.

Take it slow, take it easy and you should be fine. While the Ziroli plans are never the easiest to build from, they are not all that difficult, especially with the Ziroli fuse crutch.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you have all of the hardware, ie engine, servos, fuel tank, and at least a close represenative of your batteries. It makes it alot easier to feel and fondle things as you assemble the structures to make sure it will fit. Believe me, it is awful to find out that the batteries you had planned simply will not fit in the hole you had in mind.
Also, make sure you think of airline and servo/light paths. Nothing worse than going to install something only to realize that you have no way of pulling the wire through the wing. It is tough to turn an 86" wing on end and shake a weighted string through the ribs. It get even worse when you relize that you did not drill holes in the rib for said wires!

I find myself building the plane over and over in my head at any given free moment. When you get a bright idea and you are at home, write it down, I promise you will forget it be the time you get to the shop. Take your time, and be prepared for setbacks, they can and will happen.

Jeff
Old 05-28-2008, 05:39 AM
JL636

Is there some sort of sequence in building or is that up to me? I can read prints and problem solve but was wondering if there is some sort of instructions other than what is on the prints.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

This is very much like what I did last December. I bought a Ziroli P51 short kit. Next I ordered the plans fron Ziroli, and the cowl, canopy, and the belly scoop. Then I bought the engine, a ZDZ80, and retracts. With the major parts in hand, it was easy to fit and plan things better. The plans will have all the info you need, take time to study them, and fit parts first before using glue. You probably knew that.

Anyway, it was my first large build, and I am on a budget, so cost does matter, however I have managed to build it right, or as right as my skill level allows. There's always room for improvement. If I can do it though, pretty much anyone can I think.

I found that the plans offer all the info you need to build the basic aircraft, but there is always room for improvements and personalised touches. Scale detailing can take some and can add to the planes apperance...and weight. If you build it, build LIGHT! After all, you do want to fly it. Ziroli probably has an instruction sheet for the assembly process, which will be basic info, no pictures at all. If you have built kits before, you will have no problems with a short kit, and plans. And of course you can learn by reading build threads about the plane you have chosen.

Good Luck!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:56 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built a Ziroli's B-25 (120" span) better 10 years ago. I found the plans to be quite easy to follow and the step-by-step instructions were very useful in planning out the task for each building session. With your experience, I am sure you know to read the plans and instructions completely before beginning. My only suggestion is to follow the step-by-step instructions that should come with the plans, and everything will be fine.

Over the years, I have built from Palmer's and Ziroli's plans. I am currently building a 1/4 scale (120"span) Corsair from Don Smith's plans. IMO, Ziroli's plans provided more information which was easier to follow. Good Luck and enjoy your project.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 AM
JL636

Thank you very much for the replies. It was pretty much what I had thought it would be. I have sat down with the prints and gone over and over them and highlited each and everything I thought would be of importance and then a few more. I guess the real first step I took was and is to get as much documentation as I can find. I've also started my goodies box which is nothing more than all the necessary parts I'll need, from servos to the fuel tank (if possible) and so on. I too am on a budget and have to be very picky what I buy. As indicated it will be a slow process and it will be done right. I will rely on RCU members for their input as I have found out there is no price tag you can put on that! Again, thank you very much! Joe
Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 AM
JL636

One last thing. I will be looking for a cockpit kit for this plane, anyone got suggestions? Thanks. Joe
Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 PM
luckyb001
My Feedback: (8)

Dynamic Balsa has great Cokpit kits for all Ziroli birds. Mike
Old 06-06-2008, 05:43 AM
JL636

Unfortunately Dynamic doesn't have the F8F, anyone else? Joe
Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Flyin Hwn

jl636,

Dynamic does have a cockpit. Got one and it's good.

Flyin Hwn