Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

OFFICIAL MONSTER GT 8.0, MMGT FORUM

Old 05-30-2008, 02:53 PM
easyrabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL MONSTER GT 8.0, MMGT FORUM

ORIGINAL: BChiz

Easy, I noticed you went with RPM arms front and back. Is this one of the better investments on upgrading? Are the stock arms pretty good. I an original MGT 21 and have roughed it up pretty good doing a lot of endovers and have yet to break anything. What did a complete set of RPM arms cost you? Thanks.
I have found that RPM stuff to be effective, nearly indestructible and cool looking. When I put an RPM arm I dont worry about them breaking. If they do, RPM will send you a new one for free. Keep in mind the MGT usese T-Maxx arms and knuckles...

There have been complaints with the MGT 8 that they do lower the ride height. However if you read back on this string someone found a tweak to fix that. I may do the tweak at some time but it is not high on my list and do not mind that it rides slightly lower. If you do get the arms you will want the knuckls. You can get them from tower but read up on them here. This is because if you use the knuckle balls you will also need to use RPM's pillow balls:
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/traxxas/. Right now I have them running on my Rustler, Revo, MGT, RC18R, soon the T-Maxx.... I think that is about it.

Now as far as the MGT 8 needing them. The first thing I broke on the 8 was an arm and usually what I break first on most trucks. For me that is it, I immediatly put the RPM stuff on if they are available. The knuckles also are bigger and use oversized sealed bearings which is cool. They also have other stuff like bumpers, shock towers, etc... thinks that make the truck a real basher. Get rid of metal where you can an use RPM stuff everywhere else is what I say LOL.

I'm sure you will get a few responses on this but it has been talked about previously on this string as well. Above, kinda sums it up. However you should hear from RPM haters (not many). Usually it is a complaint about the ride height. Here is a vid I shot, the truck using Big Joes and RPM's. The Big Joes make it ride even lower.... but I hardly noticed and the truck did its job I think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sax-GArQFk4

Old 05-30-2008, 03:09 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: SycoCell

Don't go on tower. They have it for too much. Try a LHS. I haven't had any problems with my mgt 8. All my servos are working great, minus the throttle one is twitchy. (anyone had that before?) Otherwise i lost the screw like the first week i owned it for the servo saver, so i eliminated it and just connected my steering directly to the servo. Otherwise, it's a good truck. Just make sure you tighten everything up before running it. That's where i ran into a bunch of problems.
One thing I noticed about Tower is that they have deals on shipping and generally cheaper. Probably why their stuff costs a little more. The only place I have found to get a part for less than it is being sold in most places is on eBay. I have gotten some seriously "Holy Cr@p I cant believe I got it that cheap" deals on eBay. However that can take some patience

Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 PM
tuclai

Im lucky I live near Ultimate Hobbies in Orange, CA. For some reason they are always cheaper than everyone else! Like when I got the Savage XL, new TMaxx and LST 2 they were all 20-50 bucks cheaper than other retail stores. If I remeber correctly it was like 379 for Tmaxx, 569 for and 519 for Savage XL. All quite a bit lower than other stores!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:51 AM
easyrabbit

Sweet, I have a few semi-close stores around me but not the greatest deals.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:41 AM
CatLover95

does anyone have specs for the mgt 8.0 engine? horsepower, torque, and rpms?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Gwypaas

I know, too much horsepower and torque
Old 05-31-2008, 03:46 PM
CatLover95

some people have been complaining about the 8.0 engine, saying that it's hard to tune and runs poorly. is this true? or did they have dud engines? should i think about a 4.60se insteadof the 8.0?
Old 05-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Elite_Tux487

Im thinking they didn't know what they were doing. I don't own an 8.0 but I've heard they are just as easy to tune and keep running as the mgt .21 and 4.6, but with gobs more torque
Old 05-31-2008, 06:30 PM
scottywilkes

well race day has come and gone, heres the aftermath LOL BTW its a 4.6 not a 8.0

Good race day, finished all the heats in 2nd, but flamed out twice in the A main and i gave up on the third time, narrowed it down to a fried plug, 4 race meets does that to a plug i guess Still managed third though
Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
easyrabbit

You guys better be joking...
Old 05-31-2008, 07:07 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: scottywilkes

well race day has come and gone, heres the aftermath LOL BTW its a 4.6 not a 8.0

Good race day, finished all the heats in 2nd, but flamed out twice in the A main and i gave up on the third time, narrowed it down to a fried plug, 4 race meets does that to a plug i guess Still managed third though
Cool, at least you raced! Looks like you had fun
Old 05-31-2008, 10:55 PM
freestylingford

Just got one its on its way t maxx was just posted on ebay!!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
K223

I think the 8.0 is very easy to tune and get running very well if you especially start with those revised AE settings posted here on the forum. The truck holds it's tune as well. I think since it's a larger engine it's not as finicky and has a smaller rpm range to work in. It can take a few mins. of running it around to fully warm it up however...but even cold it still drives good.

K223
Old 06-03-2008, 04:42 PM
hajile1997

Where are these revised needle settings that are aon the forum you speak of? Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:57 PM
easyrabbit

ORIGINAL: hajile1997

Where are these revised needle settings that are aon the forum you speak of? Can you point me in the right direction?
These are the ones that were sent to me...

"First thing is pull the carb all the way out (full throttle position). Then turn the Meter Mixture Screw (back of the engine next to the idle screw) 1 and 1/8 turn out from complete close. Then keeping the carb in full throttle position turn the low speed needle 5.5 turns out from complete close. Then turn the high speed needle 3 turns out from complete close"

I would say my truck was nearly dead on with these running 30% Byrons or Sidewinder Race blend and a MC9 Plug. Motor takes a couple of mins. long to reach it's operating temp, but this only affects full power...Otherwise it's snappy right after you start it. I might be 1/8th of a turn leaner on the Low speed and 1/4 turn leaner on the high speed from these base settings and the truck rips and actually runs cooler...But that maybe due to the 30% fuel as well and the colder plug.

I also don't think you need to do what Tuc says in holding your carb open while making these adjustments as I found no difference...But if somebodie's carb is completely off then maybe. Verify your idle is set to spec before doing these adjustments and then your idle should be good after doing them. Let me know how your's runs after doing this.

Corey
Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 AM
MGT8kid

Is there anyone that knows of a company or companies that make hop ups yet for the MGT 8.0, besides the A arms from RPM? pipes? headers? shock towers? anything?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
tuclai

MGT8Kid,

All hopups made for the older MGT's except engine and tranny stuff will fit the new MGT 8. Page 2 and 3 of my site shows all the hopups you can put on the MGT 8.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562025697XGWJlX
Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
easyrabbit

i like that air filter... I have seen guys extend the pipe all the way to the front of the truck so it sucks in fresh air directly from the outside...
Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
cutler0902

Need a little help..I have an MGT 8.0..Working on trying to get it started. I noticed fuel (a heavy amount ) was coming out of the exhuast..I don't mean white smoke..darker looking fluid. Can you suggest anything. ?

I finally got it started and then it cuts off..Any help is appreciated.

Tks!

JC
Old 06-04-2008, 11:21 AM
K223

ORIGINAL: cutler0902

Need a little help..I have an MGT 8.0..Working on trying to get it started. I noticed fuel (a heavy amount ) was coming out of the exhuast..I don't mean white smoke..darker looking fluid. Can you suggest anything. ?

I finally got it started and then it cuts off..Any help is appreciated.

Tks!

JC
Are you first doing your break in on a new truck? Sounds like your running super rich. Did you set your truck according the the manual? If so those settings are all wrong. Look above and set your truck to these settings to start and if doing the initial break in....Richen the high speed up a quarter to half a turn to start and then proceed to lean out as you go through your break in tanks. At this point you may have also killed your glow plug and might want to install a fresh one once you modify your needle settings.

K223
Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
MGT8kid

Tuclai,

Yo thats the sweetest MGT ive seen so far!! good job. The hopups you put on there are all available to order from your store? The air filter is pretty sweet man!!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:31 PM
tuclai

Yah they are all available, none were at stores. They dont seem to carry MGT hop ups at any of my LHS. I got parts from the following manufactures:

Hardcore Racing
AE Factory Team
Integy
New Era Models
Golden Horizon
GPM

Just an FYI Hardcore Racing and New Era Model and the Integy shocks are pretty pricey. I didnt know there were other alternatives back then when I bought those. If I was to do it over again I would probably just get everything from this site:

http://www.rcxshop.com/

They have a lot of stuff for our MGT's and the prices are cheap!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 PM
MGT8kid

Alright thanks alot, I've looked at some sites and didn't notice any pipes or heads? did you know of anyplace that would carry that if they are even made yet? My LHS don't carry much and if anything he orders it and takes a while to come in!

Thanks for all the info man! Helps me out alot
Old 06-04-2008, 01:29 PM
tuclai

You mean cooling head? I know NovaRc Products just came out with a polished head for the MGT 8
Old 06-04-2008, 03:37 PM
MGT8kid

Alright thanks...i ordered every part that they had available! im just looking for a pipe...I heard the Team AE was making one but never heard anything about it or if its even out yet..? any clue?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.