Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

How to get to BDC w/ pull start, and How important is After Run procedure?

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

How to get to BDC w/ pull start, and How important is After Run procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get to BDC w/ pull start, and How important is After Run procedure?

I like using my 30% Heli fuel in my LST2 with Spec 3. Lots of smoke.... seems like its providing good lube. The truck Hauls Assshnic!! No body does afterrun on heli's. Is it really that important? I've heard both! And what about Botom Dead Center with a pull start? Thats an other thing the heli guys dont do! And those engines perform hard and long and last forever!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 AM
freestylingford

Default RE: How to get to BDC w/ pull start, and How important is After Run procedure?

Take the plug out so you can see the piston and turn the motor with the flywheel and your finger or catch the ridges of the flywheel with a flat screw driver pretty important on the cool down to have it at BDC so you don't loose the pinch at the top.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 AM
A.B.U

Default RE: How to get to BDC w/ pull start, and How important is After Run procedure?

Take the plug out, or take off the manifold, and put the piston at BDC; then mark your flywheel with a marker at the bottom/top.. which ever you prefer, to let you know it's at BDC.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 AM
full maxx

yeah i do the marker thing and yes it is important ...if you let your mill chill at top dead center then the sleeve will not contract all the way and it will shorten engine life... i dont use after run every time just at the end of the day plus it helps promote easy starting besides it inhibits the formation of rust and all glow fuels attract moisture
Old 06-04-2008, 10:02 AM
joshreynolds777

Do you really think its even possible for a motor to stick at Top Dead Center? I don't see how that would even be possible. Seems to me you could just pull the pull start a couple of clicks and be fine
Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
rckt_mtrspts
Banned

ORIGINAL: joshreynolds777

Do you really think its even possible for a motor to stick at Top Dead Center? I don't see how that would even be possible.
I don't see how it could be impossible.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM
iamnot

comparing a heli engine
and their needs
to a car/truck engine
and it's needs
is, well, they really
don't compare at all

a heli engine is likely ringed
won't have a need to store at bdc
a car/truck engine is interference fit
really should be stored at bdc

a hei engine spins at what,
about 20k - 22k rpm
and a car/truck engine
at 30k - 35k rpm

a heli engine is more open
with a big 'ol fan above it keeping it cool
a car/truck engine is stuck inside
a plastic body with minimal air flow

a heli engine runs best on
fuel with 18% oil

car/truck engines run best
on about 12% oil

and no, more oil is
not always better

in other words
quit treating that spec 3
like a heli engine
it's not
it's a car/truck engine and
you need to care for it as such
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Grits

I wouldn't advise this but you could call everyone else a liar and stupid by oh making sure the piston was at TDC when done and let it cool there, not using ARO and report back at 8 gallons on how everything looks internally, pinch, and general running condition. I won't do that but you do what your gut tells you.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 PM
joshreynolds777

Not trying to call anyone out here fellas. just had some questions. Felt like raising up some topics of conversation here. Chill out Grits
Old 06-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Grits

Oh I'm chilled. Just seems like you and other posters sometimes ask a question and then seem to want to dispute the info returned. SEEMS is the key word and I don't know you from Adam so I just made a remark. It was not meant to be taken personally, like an attack on you, but if it was, well....[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-05-2008, 04:06 PM
iexion

After Run oil = $3.... Thats $3 insurance for your engine. When the engine gets rusted out ( like the engine in the "I cant believe this engine still runs " post ) that $3 insurance is a drop of water in a glass compared to what its going to cost to get a new one
Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
nitronut911
My Feedback: (2)

i use after run only if im not running the truck in the next 12 hours. iv had no problems there
Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
bjhe333

I only use after run oil if my truck will sit for more than a week. I use trinity and they say you don't need it but I like the whole just in case thing.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 AM
MaddMatt

I use WD40 for my after run, cost like $2.00 and takes a few minutes. Took out the plug and marked the flywheel at BDC, also took only a few minutes and cost nothing. I say ...why not? cheap fast and easy, may pay off in the long run.