Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Large Scale Ship Models: Cargo Ships, Liners & Warships

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Large Scale Ship Models: Cargo Ships, Liners & Warships

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:03 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Large Scale Ship Models: Cargo Ships, Liners & Warships

Am interested in knowing who has built, or would be interested in building, large scale ship models, either warships, cargo ships or ocean liners from 1/96 to 1/48. We're not talking PT or small tub boats here, but BIG ship models that would typically require a truck or trailer to haul around.

If so, post what you have built, plan to build or would like to see as a future model. Be sure to indicate scale & interest in either in semi or complete kit form, as well as RTR.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:24 AM
patmat

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Large Scale Ship Models: Cargo Ships, Liners & Warships

why not stop by the home of r/c model warships, www.warshipmodelsunderway.com?
Check the gallery...
Pat M
Old 08-27-2006, 09:46 AM
herrmill

Have already checked that out. Besides I'm interested also in civil ships, both cargo & liners, & not only warships.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
grumpygrady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at towboatjoes web pages
he builds in 1/48 scale and has a couple of ferrys

olriverbills is another one that has big ships
his record tow was over 30 foot long

Old 09-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Tachikaze

1/72nd Combat warhips. HIJMS Tachikaze
INS Alfredo Oriani
HIJMS Shimakaze
DKM S-38
USS Benham
FNS Le Terrible
FNS Surcouf
Old 09-09-2006, 02:04 AM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm particularly fond of this one: http://www.bismarck-class.dk/shipmod...speeterra.html

I know it's only a warship but it is nice and big.

[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

-Harquebus
Old 09-09-2006, 03:31 AM
herrmill

That Graf Spee would make for one hellava sight offshore. Just wonder how well that hull would surf!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:05 AM
Hookpilot

OK, here's the ultimate scale boat project. It would be a great team project, requiring the skills of a master machinest and a serious scale ship builder, or two. It would be built to 1/2" to the foot scale. The ship: the snag boat sternwheeler, W.T. Preston. Length: 163 feet, beam 34' 8", draft 3' 8" and of course, powered by two 150 HP steam reciprocating engines.

The model: 81.5" long and powered by two custom made steam engines and boilers. No gear or belt driven paddlewheel here, just long throw condensing steam engines. The original engines had a bore of 14 inches and a throw of 72 inches. All this would be scaled of course.

What would make this such an amazing model is to faithfully build all the snagboat features into the model. Snagboats were used to clear rivers and waterways in Puget Sound of stumps, logs and other floating debris. The snagboats had two spuds (long, square posts it could lower into the river bottom to steady the boat for log pickups) that the model would have. A steam-powered winch and crane on the bow would also be fully operational in the model. The actual boat is open to the public and would be a great resource for building the model. At 81.5 inches long, it would not fit in my SUV, so a custom trailer or truck would have to haul it around.

Any takers?

See the real boat at: http://www.anacorteshistorymuseum.org/preston.htm

It would be unique. It would be a show-stopper. It would be a huge challenge.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:40 AM
herrmill

Interesting concept that would be a cool project.

I've not built anything with steam before but have been entertaining the idea of buying Saito's Delta Queen kit for a steam project. I grew up on the Ohio River & have fond memories of seeing this sternwheeler come 'round the bend with its calliopie playing. I'd buy Saito's boat kit but would probably use another resource for the steam plant due to cost - Saito's must be made of gold based on the pricing I've seen!!

By way, I find it interesting that several of you guys are in Hawaii. How's the scale boating scene there? [8D]
Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Hookpilot

Fairseas:
Scale boat/ship modeling is non-existent here in Hawaii. I live in downtown Honolulu and have only seen one other scale boat modeler here on the island. There is a very active model yacht club and a few nitro raceboats around, but that's it. The big thing here are RC cars. We also have a lot of RC airplanes, turbines and electrics scattered around Oahu. On the big Island there is a small but active slope soaring group. I'm trying to start up a club here and still maintain my membership in the Northwest RC Ship Modelers club based out of Lynnwood, Washington State. Now there's a great club, very active, very creative bunch.

There are few freshwater ponds or lakes to run on here. That's a big problem unless you don't mind running in saltwater. I've already had a steering servo take a fatal bath on my 60" long British Motor Torpedo Boat.

The steam project is a dream I've had for a while. My cousin is a master machineist with his own shop equipped with a milling machine, lathe and other metalworking tools. Problem is he's in Shelton, Washington, my hometown, and I'm out here in the middle of the Pacific. We were planning to do this together, then I up and moved.

Mike
Old 09-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Boulderboater

I am building a 1:32 scale tugboat, 49 inches long, displacement about 70pounds, based on Mr Darby hull. I will be using it to push a barge, about 12 foot long, 2 foot beam, displacement about 700 pounds. I am still working on the details (!), two 6 foot halves, as my vehicle can only take that length, and a water ballast system in each half run from a remote control (infra-red). I have a small video camera for the tug, to make it easier to link it to the barge with AT&B concept.
Previous project was 6 foot battleship with microprocessor controls for aiming 9 guns, and video camera facing forwards through bridge windows. Ballasted with lead acid batteries.
regards,
Paul
Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
ec-145
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

just finished building a 57 inch tug coast guard model 125 pounds with balst wight verry custom bigist around theys parts makes mister darby look small cost 10,000 will have pics soon
Old 05-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Larryds

I'm finishing up my USS Wainwright is 64" long and after that is done I will work on my USS Arizona which is 78" long. ScaleShipsYards has plenty of 1/96 and 1/72 hulls.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:57 PM
ScottOram

So what defines Large Scale? Some say 1/96, 1/72, and 1/48. Well I have a 1/144 Carrier, she is significantly larger than the nect scale 1/350, Measuring in at 8 feet lin, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet from Keel to Mast. I woudl have to say she is large scale..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41587.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	955865  
Old 05-25-2008, 08:25 AM
bigford

one of the guys from tug forum is biulding a 14 footer for tug towing
he states it will water ballist and have its own power
Old 05-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Boulderboater

yes, i'm going to built the barge in 2 halves as I can't fit anything bigger in my car, and don't want to use a trailer. The power on the barge is only for the pumps used to fill and empty the water ballast. I am thinkng of using a TV type remote control to operate the pumps to be independent of the main tugboat RC system. I have a micro camera on the tugboat to help line up when connecting the tug to the back of the barge, in AT/B configuration. The Intercon/Articouple link system is giving me a bit of a challenge, but at least the tug is nearly finished. It also has a water ballast as it displaces around 90 pounds. How long is the ship in the photo, and what is its displacement. It looks like its in one piece, how do you transport it ? Sure looks good!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:10 PM
ScottOram

CONNIE is a few inches shy of 8feet. She weighs about 85 pounds. I have an SUV so she slides right in the back. Takes two people to move her from the car to the water and back.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:28 AM
herrmill

Wow! At that size where I used to live, you'd have to get that registered with the DNR.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 AM
moozie41

...and of course the next logical step is the Manned Model. Here is mine at 31ft, 1/24th scale. Loads more on http://groups.msn.com/MannedModelShips also Victorian pre-Dreadnaughts on www.pmbdt.co.uk. There is a giant manned tanker in Ca. somewhere.

Name:	Jh16205.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	968554  
Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 AM
herrmill

Moozie,

I have to ask... how long did it take you to build that amazing work of art?

I have a 1/25 Type VIIc/41 on order from Mylo Hall out of Canada that would look awfully nice beside her. Unfortunately with me in China it will have to be via Photoshop.

Chuck
Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Graft Zeppelin

I have a 32 foot ww2 Aircraft carrier that took me and my friends 6 mounts to build
Old 06-11-2008, 09:34 PM
herrmill

Lets see the photos!!! ! Or better, post some video - I'd love to see this monster with its flight wing in action.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Graft Zeppelin

it is one hell of a sight here the speks pictures coming soon

hey me and a couple of friends have recently compleated a 32 foot WW2 aircraft carrier.
it is based on the planes of Germanys only aircraft carrier teh Graft Zepplin
she is fully working with full RC capabilities but you can also place 2 people inside

here are the stats
Power: 2 Volvo 500 Horce power marine engins, conected to 4 3 bladed skrews
lenght32 feet
width: 10 feet
hight: 23 feet
Armament: 16 × Sk. 15 cm. guns
6× Flak (10.5 cm)
10 × Flak (3.7 cm)
12 × Flak (2.0 cm)
Aircraft carried: Complement of 25
10 × Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters
5 × Junkers Ju 87 dive bombers
10 × Fieseler Fi 167 torpedo bombers

Armament are modified airsoft guns
planes are 100% RC operational with bomb and C02 powered torpedos and folding wings

all planes can be placed on deck but via elevator they can be placed in the hold
planes move around the hangar deck by means of a robotic tow system, totaly otomated (took me 3 mounts to get the programing done) each aircraft is assigned a number whitch is read by a sensor on the tow rig the tow rig can then move each aircraft into its spot. also the hangar deck can be viewed from inside the super strukcher.

Crew placement 2
1inside the superstrucker
2 inside the enging room or he can pop out the hatch and fly the planes from there.

when in RC capabilities laching and landing are achived via wierless camera, when landing the piolt lines up the nose peice with the camera then takes her in for the landing, the aresting wire is eslastic and incase of a ditch the ship can pick up the airplanes by using a camera operated crane on the back of the ship under the deck. for safty reasons the airplanes are 100% water proof and float.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 AM
moozie41

Chuck , I got it part-built as a wreck. it had been used by the Royal navy as a rercuiting and PR device. A stage-prop for a travelling show. A waterline stage-prop built out of best quality naval dockyard wood. It had served it`s purpose and after 30 years on the road they decided it was surplus. I asked nicely and they gave it to me. A bottom half was added and the details and superstructure was re-done. Very heavy funnels were replaced. The whole thing was glassed all over and a 5hp Mercury outboard installed in a well near the aft hangar lift position where I sit. The front hatch can accomodate a passenger. She does 7kts. Weighs about a ton and a quarter. It gets towed on a boat trailer behand a Ford Transt van. I`ve had it for about 15 years now and do the occaisional show, regatta etc., all over the UK and Channel Islands. There are Sea Kings and eight Sea Harriers plastic non-flyers and two Fairey Swordfish (RN Historic Flight). The flying aircraft are very semi-scale Sopwith Pup GWS powered lightweights in Depron. BTW I`m Arrow5 on another forum that you frequent. Graft, good pun !

Name:	Db85121.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	969804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52387.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	969805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42727.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	969806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76866.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	969807  
Old 06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
moozie41

...a few more RO5 build pics. OOPS ! sorry about the dupes. Final shot is alonside the real one in Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Name:	Nk28196.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	969838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15309.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	969839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42237.jpg
Views:	3661
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	969840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15914.jpg
Views:	1780
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	969841  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.