Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

NEED HELP ON SPUR GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
dave30250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ON SPUR GEAR

Hi everyone !

I have a savage 4.6 rtr. I striped my spur gear two weeks ago. I had a 49t and now i put a 52t. My clutch bell is a 17T(stock one not ventilated). I changed the spur gear for the new one , but AS SOON I FINISH TO PUT THE SCREW it seems the mesh is not good, it seems way to close (clutch bell from the spur gear). When i try to turn it with my finger it s hard to turn... i tried with a peace of paper between the gear while i am screwing the screw and it doesn t work... maybe i did not put enough paper ? do you have a CLEAR web site or help i can follow step by step i don t want to burn my clutch shoes and another spur gear....

Thank you...
Old 06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: NEED HELP ON SPUR GEAR

not all combo's of cb's work with the spurs.
17/52 is a tight fit. you may need a 15/16 tooth cb to fit a 52 t spur.

a 15/16 cb and a 52 spur.your going to be flipping that 4.6 on its lid with loads of low end torque.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
MTboy

Loosen the motor bolts and adjust it by moving the motor away enough to give room for the spur..
Old 06-17-2008, 06:53 PM
SAVAGEBANE

this is a flashback for me.... you did EXACTLY what i did. listen to mazda. the 52t does not fit on the stock cb. trust me i tried it. it wont work. even if you slide the motor all the way over, like i did mine, it is still not designed to fit. you do have to go with a 15 or 16 clutch bell. oh yea and if you do go with that gearing...get a wheelybar hahaha you will need it even if u have precision feathering throttle control
just my 2 cents
Old 06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
dave30250

Ok set lets say i want to run the truck like this. Am i gonna burn the clutch or something (i don t mind burning the spur gear) is there any danger for any other parts except the spur gear if i keep the 17/52 ratio ?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:18 PM
sfar785

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could smoke the whole clutch, ruin the transmission because of the bad mesh....i'd play it safe and just go with a 15 or 16 tooth CB
Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 AM
dave30250

I went yesterday night with my savage with the 17/52t setup and i played 3 tanks with no issue. The truck lost a little top speed but can t say i lost 10 mph. the truck is almost to quick for acceleration it is crazy. The spur after inspection seems to be fine. It looks a little more loose between the spur and the the clutch bell... if the tranny brake i will put the 3 speed. if the clutch burn i will put a robinson racing clutch bell with mugen clutch shoes and 1.0 mm spring. What tools do we need to do a good job and also do we need to service the clutch ? if so how you proceede??