Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Tribute 36 + YS63 FZS ??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hangar 9 Tribute 36 + YS63 FZS ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Superchipmunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Tribute 36 + YS63 FZS ??

Hi Everyone,

I recently ordered a YS 63 FZ-S, which I plan to mount on a Hangar 9 Tribute 36 which I have over six months standing in the Box.
Has anyone flown the tribute with aYS63?
I am starting to have second thoughts as I fear it might be overpowered with that engine...

Another question I have is wether the fuel tank supplied with the model will withstand the engine pressure or do I need to buy a reinforced one? (The tank supplied with the model looks quite sturdy though...

Thanks for any thoughts

Phil
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 AM
broke_n_bummin

Default RE: Hangar 9 Tribute 36 + YS63 FZS ??

If you have that much pressure in your fuel tank, then something's wrong. Pressure in the fuel tank should only be slightly more than the atmospheric pressure outside the tank. This goes for any glow engine setup except for pumped engines. As far as the YS .63, well, I have a .46 AX on mine and it runs ok. I had to do some modifications to the fuse (cut out the engine mount, epoxy the wing in place, reinforce the tail wheel and add about an ounce of weight to the bottom of the rudder). Other than that, you might have to modify the main landing gear, I just barely had room for a 12" prop.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Superchipmunk

Thanks for your reply broke n' bummin and for your advices on the Tribute.
I do not have the engine yet, but I do know there are reinforced fuel tanks on the market for YS engines.
Iwould say that if you do not have much pressure in your tank with a YS then you have a problem, because they use a patented system (supercharged) to replace the pump.

My question is will the stock tank delivered with the Tribute hold or not?

PS, the 46AX is a nice engine, but I only use 4stroke engines in my planes now, especially for 3d, i like the relaxed torquy feeling and the sound of course...
(I never had a YS engine till now (only OS surpass, and Saito), untill i saw a friends funtana x100 with a YS 1.10, It run so well I decided to try them.
Engine is on the way...
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Daniel Z

YS 63 is a supercharged, pumped engine, so it is very important to keep good seal on all lines and fuel links, I use zip ties for that , also you can reinforce the tank with duct tape if you wish.
And yes, you will have an overpowered plane, hovering at 3 clicks over idle ! I fly a 5,5 lbs plane that goes vertical out of hover with that engine (avatar)

13x6 , 13x4w apc with 20% nitro or 14x4w on 30% (I think you don´t need that )

greetings,

Daniel
Old 06-19-2008, 01:33 AM
cantw8tofly
My Feedback: (3)

I have a tribute 36 powered by an O.S. fs52 surpass. My plane is way over powered. So i think the ys 63 will be a little much maybe.

I have a 13x4 prop on the 52 and this thing has all kinds of power to spare. I also had to put a bit of lead on the tail to balance the plane.

You might want to consider that the ys maybe even heavier?

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Superchipmunk

Thanks

How does the surpass 52 works?
Are you please with it?
Did you have to modify the engine plywood suport of the Tribute?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:59 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: Superchipmunk

Thanks

How does the surpass 52 works?
Are you please with it?
Did you have to modify the engine plywood suport of the Tribute?

I'd like to know as well. I've got a .52 sitting around looking for a plane to pull.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
octanehuffer

Tribute + YS 63= waste of a good engine. WAY overkill!!! I fly mine with an OS 46FX. Still over powered- grosely! I only added 1/4 oz of tail weight to mine. I mounted a pull/pull servo in front of the fin. Exactly 4lb RTF.
Adam
Old 06-22-2008, 03:39 AM
Superchipmunk

I haven't received the engine yet...I'll probably receive it on Monday or Tuesday.
Well, maybe i'll keep the engine for a biger model...

Any other suggestions for the Tribute in a four stroke setup?...I know that many people fly it on Saito's 62 with minor mods.

But, octanehuffer, the weight of the OS 46AX is 423 grams including muffler, and the YS 63 is 453 grams, so from the weight point of view, it should be ok...

ANYWAY, I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT THIS PLANE AND THIS ENGINE ARE NOT MADE FOR EACH OTHER[&o]
MAYBE I'LL PUT THE TRIBUTE FOR SALE AND FIND ANOTHER 3D MODEL BETTER SUITED FOR THE YS63

(ANY GOOG IDEAS?)

Old 06-22-2008, 03:59 AM
Superchipmunk

But Guys, wait a second...
I was reading some other posts where some dudes fly their Showtime 50 with OS .91 or Saitos 1.00 !! And you don't call that overpowered ?
Then maybe the tribute 36 would be Ok on a YS 63. (using throttle management )
Old 06-22-2008, 07:07 AM
octanehuffer

Just because others do it still doesnt mean its too much. Its not that the engine is overweight. Just to overpowered. It would be rediculous. A Saito 56 is MORE than enough. IMHO even the 46fx flies a tad heavy.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Superchipmunk

OK,
You convinced me, i'll go for a Saito 56 or OS surpass 56, and keep the Yamy for another model...
Thanks for your advices
Superchipmunk.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 PM
cantw8tofly
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry about the slow reply, I been busy

My tribute with the o.s. 52 surpass flys like a dream . I think it has about twice the power it needs. Even with the 4 pitch prop it is very fast and it will climb out verticle at less than 1/3 throttle

Yes i had to modify the motor mount slightly, mostly behind the engine because the carb opening was almost in contact with the fuse side.

If you want to see it i can take some pics if you would like. Just let me know

CANTW8TOFLY
Old 06-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Superchipmunk

Yes, that would be great, I would appreciate!
By trhe way I think the surpass 52 is now discontinued and been replaced by the 56 right?
must be more or less the same thing
Is the idle reliable ?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28136.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	976223  
Old 06-25-2008, 06:43 PM
dashunde

I'm running a 46FX on mine... definitely overpowered.
It too needs a bit of weight in the tail, but relocating the rd and el servos to the back has helped out the cg as well as giving much better throws/linkage... without the high-speed flutter it used to have with the orignal set-up (yuck).

I'd say the 63 is overkill, and will probably give you serious structural issues. Mine is fully epoxied together (wing), but now the fuse is cracking on the lower sections - time for some flat-bar cf I suppose.
If you stick with the 63, you'll certainly want to cf it up pretty good before assembly, but then its heavy.

So basically, its lose-lose... too much engine requires too much add-on weight (to take the beating) and in the end you'd be better off with a different plane to start with .

Personally, for that motor I'd go with EF's Chin Yak... built to take up to .82's and has the same dimensions and probably much better handling than the Trib.
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/ChinnYak55SP.html

Building a MOJO might not be a bad idea either.

The Trib is a throw-about, fun, silly and relaxing plane for me, but not really "worthy" of such a killer YS engine... I'm glad you saw it the same way. The 56 will be great on that plane, as well as many others.
I would recommend you pull the covering off the Trib before assembly and do a few things:
- Add a bit of light ply to the tail and move your servos to the tail.
- Add a 2-3 foot length of 6mm wide flat-bar cf to the belly of the fuse from the spare on back. (inside if you can manage).
The narrow 6mm will add lots of lateral strenth without adding lots of weight.
- Touch-up the glue joints while its uncovered, its not over-built by any means.
Recovering it will take only minutes.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 PM
-StephenSampson-

ORIGINAL: broke_n_bummin

If you have that much pressure in your fuel tank, then something's wrong. Pressure in the fuel tank should only be slightly more than the atmospheric pressure outside the tank. This goes for any glow engine setup except for pumped engines. As far as the YS .63, well, I have a .46 AX on mine and it runs ok. I had to do some modifications to the fuse (cut out the engine mount, epoxy the wing in place, reinforce the tail wheel and add about an ounce of weight to the bottom of the rudder). Other than that, you might have to modify the main landing gear, I just barely had room for a 12" prop.
not the case with ys's pressurized system which keeps the tank at a constant 8-10 psi.....so reinforcing is needed with some tanks. I always duct taped mine anyway just to be sure.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Superchipmunk

Thanks for your nice advice and sorry for my late reply
I was on Holiday

The Surpass is on its way
I think I can,t go wrong with that engine

The YS has arrived....Superb piece of engeneering...I guess i'll have to find a decent plane to house it in...

I should have thought before,,,

Cheers