Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

I need help!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM
moon_wei88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!

Hello people, im new to RC helicopter and also new to this forum. So definitely i need help on some things.

I just bought a Japan Version VI Ligting Force NO 6263 indoor/outdoor rc heli. The battery which comes with the heli has a description of KAN Ni -MH 8.4V, 7x2/3AAA 400mAh.

I charged the battery for almost 12 hours but i can onli fly my heli for around 5-10 mins. why is this so? can anybody help?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:27 AM
acarter

Default RE: I need help!

That's about what you'll get with a 400mah nimh battery, nothing wrong with it just how it is. 5-10 min is respecable for a stock micro heli. If you want more flight time either buy more batteries or switch over to lipo.

Austin
Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 AM
nothinbetr2do

that' sound about right. if you want more flight time, get a batt that has more mah. 400 is not much. or buy more of the same batts
Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 AM
moon_wei88

i am wondering if the motor can take a higher mah?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 AM
acarter

mah is nothing but capacity the motor could handle 5000mah (for example) it's the voltage that will kill a motor. The only downfall in higher capacity is wieght and size.

Austin
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM
moon_wei88

what determines the life span of a battery? the voltage or the mah?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 AM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: moon_wei88

what determines the life span of a battery? the voltage or the mah?
the mah
Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 AM
moon_wei88

ORIGINAL: nothinbetr2do

that' sound about right. if you want more flight time, get a batt that has more mah. 400 is not much. or buy more of the same batts
u said more flight time = higher mah. but in your last reply you said the life span of a battery is determined by the mah. so what does it mean? a higher mah will have a longer life span or a higher mah will have a shorter life span?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: nothinbetr2do

u said more flight time = higher mah. but in your last reply you said the life span of a battery is determined by the mah. so what does it mean? a higher mah will have a longer life span or a higher mah will have a shorter life span?
it will be longer
Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Mah is the capacity. More milli amp hours, more capacity and that means more flight time.

An 800mah battery at 6 volts will fly twice as long as a 400mah battery.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
moon_wei88

A lower voltage with a higher mah will be good?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
acarter

I would keep your voltage the same and up your mah. If you lower the voltage you will lower your power, and if you raise your voltage you will increase power but risk stressing something out.

Austin
Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
moon_wei88

ok i get what you guys mean already. thanks alot! by the way, there's another qns!

There's this red LED light when i switch the power on for my controller. sometimes it will keep blinking when i switch the power on. Why is this so?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Druss

Moon, if you really want to understand the relationship between capacity, voltage, amperage... etc. I'd suggest you google it. All batteries have the same relationship.

As to your second question.... that is heli specific so unless you tell us what the light is meant for we can't answer.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:52 PM
moon_wei88

Seriously I would love to know what does the light do, if not i wouldnt be here asking around.

There's this red light at the power on switch there. when i turn the power on, the red light is being lighted up, and it stablises. When it stablises, i would be able to fly my heli. however, sometimes when i off the power and on it back again, the light kept blinking instead of stablising. Once it is in the blinking mode, i could not fly my heli.

This is the best i can explain to you so far.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:43 PM
redlance88

I would guess its some sort of "arming" circut. it probably indcates that the heli is properly armed and ready to fly. typicaly there is some comunication between heli and transmiter for electric helis that ensures that the throttle and throttle trims are at zero to prevent the blades from spining up before your ready. also some other electronics need to have a few moments to stablize like gyros for example, on my heli you power the transmitter first, then plug in the power for the heli , if the throttle is any place but zero the helli wont arm and it won't fly. its an important safty feature. I suspect red blinking means that its arming , and solid red means " ready" do you have an instruction manual with this thing ? is there an english translation? best of luck , thats my best guess as to what is going on.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Druss

Seriously I would love to know what does the light do, if not i wouldnt be here asking around.

There's this red light at the power on switch there. when i turn the power on, the red light is being lighted up, and it stablises. When it stablises, i would be able to fly my heli. however, sometimes when i off the power and on it back again, the light kept blinking instead of stablising. Once it is in the blinking mode, i could not fly my heli.

This is the best i can explain to you so far.
Do you have a picture? Like redlance says, it's probably arming the gyro and other electronics. Make sure that if you used any trims that you put the throttle back at the bottom and the rudder at center. Always have the throttle stick all the way down, always make sure the transmitter is on before you plug the battery in.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
moon_wei88

the most sad thing is that the box itself did not have a manual in it!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 AM
acarter

Some ESC's need the throttle stick to be moved all the way to the top and all the way to the bottom before it will activate the circuit.

Austin