Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

BACK PLATE ROTO START AND brake/gazLINKAGE ISSUE NEED HELP

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

BACK PLATE ROTO START AND brake/gazLINKAGE ISSUE NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:03 PM
dave30250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BACK PLATE ROTO START AND brake/gazLINKAGE ISSUE NEED HELP

Greetingd Everyone,

I have a savage x 4.6 rtr since christmas that has almost 2 gallon thru it. It was running very since this afternoon.

First probleme : When i was inserting the roto start in the back plate of the engine and i was pushing the button to star it the back plate was shaking a lot and the engine did not seems to crank so i was not able to start. I unmount the engine from the chassis and notice that the bottom left screw that hold the back plate of the engine in place was broken. But this is not the plastic part of the roto start that is broken but a part of cast alluminum that it is part of the crank case, there is just a little peace of metal that is ripped off from the engine itself at the very same place where the screw of the roto start back plate is suppose to go. The upper right and bottom right screw are perfectly in place so there is one screw missing to hlod the back plate. I put threadlocker on the 2 other screw and torque the screw at the maximum. Now when i put the roto start and try 2 start it, it crank but it doesn t seems to crank perfectly like before. I really doubt that just one screw on the back plate is giving me this problem because when i use the roto start the back plate doesn t move at all now. I have been able to start it but then after the roto start seems to spin in butter. It doesn t seems to crank the engine. Could it be the roto start back plate, the one way bearing???

thank you
Old 06-22-2008, 08:11 PM
racefans26

Default RE: BACK PLATE ROTO START AND brake/gazLINKAGE ISSUE NEED HELP

Is it trying to turn over or is the roto start just free spinning????? I brake the same screw hole out of my backplate before and temporarily fixed it the same way you say you have done.. It wont last forever!!!! I would say the problem you are having is (when the screws came loose, excese fuel from the exaust got down into your one way and is causing it to slip. or it just got some dirt in it.)
Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 PM
dave30250

It is not completely free spinning sometimes your hear the engine turning a little then 2 seconds it s free spinning then after 2 secondes engine is spinning... It doesn t seems to crank all the time.....
Old 06-22-2008, 08:29 PM
racefans26

Yeah tat is definatly your one way bearing.. take it back apart and clean it all real good. make sure it is good and dry when you put it back together. And if had it apart i would go ahead and get a new backingplate since yours is broken. I also got some longer screws when i put mine backtogether since the stock ones arent long enough to go through.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 AM
dave30250

yeah but this is not the back plate of the roto start itself that is broken but the cast alluminum back plate of the engine itself. there is 4 screw holding this backplate to the engine... can we buy just the back plate ?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 AM
dave30250

I HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM, I NOTICE WHEN I APPLY THE BRAKE THE ENGINE STALL. IF I REMOVE THE AIR FILTER AND APPLY THE BRAKE THE CARBURATOR IS CLOSING ITSELF WHEN I APPLY THE BRAKE SO THIS IS NORMAL. BUT IT WASN T DOING THIS BEFORE.