Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Fuel mix for a diesel car

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:47 PM
HondaCRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel mix for a diesel car

A while back I started building a Diesel powered Kyosho Ultima stadium truck (4 years ago). I just got the truck back out and I'm thinking about finishing the project (along with all the other cars, boats, planes, after I finish my mazda though [&:] )

But here's the problem, I can't remember what to do about fuel. I was going to have fuel mixed (I can't remember who I was recommended to, either powermax or redmax or something like that) and I had a fuel mixture written down, but where that is is a complete mystery. It would be great if someone could recommend me a fuel mixture that would be suitable to car use, and a company that would mix the fuel, or I could just buy the components and mix it myself.

Old pics of the car:

I now have a diesel-proof tank and line setup, and a dual remote needle valve setup somewhere in my garage (for ease of starting, one set for the hot mixture, and the other only open during starts).
Old 06-21-2008, 04:44 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel mix for a diesel car

For ease of set-up:
Use a lot of ether, like 40%. and at least 20% oil
That will probably have the same setting hot or cold. From there, experiment with ether% and IPN or equivalent (john deere additives?)
Old 06-21-2008, 04:46 PM
pe reivers

PS,
Just prime a few drops of fuel. (like 3, 4, 5)
More, and the engine will be very hard to start.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:06 PM
AMB

Pe is right on ease of starting with the high ether, most likely when you get a "feel" the ether can go down to 30% and ypu will get more power, being an ABC engine and BB the oil can run 16 to 20%. also any commercial
fuel can be used, Red Max, and you can get the Davis mix from tower $29.99 a gallon, you will get almost twice the run time compared to glow fuel, it will run cooler and gobs of torque. It appears diesel is making big inroad in the truck field You can pick up some more info on the Davis Diesel site, the same fuel is used in aircaft model diesels
I would not use the classic 30/30/30 mix it will not harm the engine but you will not get the performance of the modern engine blends
Old 06-22-2008, 12:13 PM
pe reivers

AMB, in my tests, I did not get more power with less ether, probably due to the fact that a lot more ether is used in the same weight of air. Despite the lower calorific value of the ether as fuel, same combustion heat amount is generated. Fuel economy was lower though, as ether content went up.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:27 PM
AMB

Pe interesting on the power thing , when he gets to the lower ether at least a little less money if he makes his own martin
Old 06-22-2008, 03:52 PM
pe reivers

A lot price difference. Ether is expensive, lamp oil is not.
Like always, money makes the world go 'round.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:05 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HondaCRX,

You need to replace ALL of your silicone fuel lines with Tygon or Neoprene. Diesel fuel makes the silicone swell up...or are you saying that you have already done this. Is the green line tygon?

George
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 PM
HondaCRX

ORIGINAL: gcb

HondaCRX,

You need to replace ALL of your silicone fuel lines with Tygon or Neoprene. Diesel fuel makes the silicone swell up...or are you saying that you have already done this. Is the green line tygon?

George
The pictures were taken 4 years ago when I first bolted the head on, Since then I have completed the diesel fuel system (almost, I still need to find the remote needle valves) with tygon tubing, and all seals in the tank replaced with neoprene o rings.

I guess I'll mix my own fuel then, sounds interesting. I'll have to make up a one gallon closed loop style metal fuel jug to protect the fuel from light too.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 PM
AMB

Light is not the problem its heat and evaporation of the ether from a poorly sealed container. You also would be better off if mixing you own fuel to one qt . The one qt cans that the hardware stores sell alcohol, acetone, and like solvents are perfect containers for this. A qt of fuel will last a long time for that small engine martin
I even transfer my premix Davis fuel to these and just take one with me to the field

If mixing your own all you need is 2 cans of John deere starter fluid , some kero, castor oil. and amsoil cetane booster not a big expense
If you really get into it buying a gallon of Davis or red Max is the way to go a gallon will last a long time
Old 06-24-2008, 05:31 PM
HondaCRX

That's a really good idea, I forgot about those little metal bottles, thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
srad750c

is that a glow plug in the head or a contra piston?[&:]
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 PM
AMB

Scrad He has a T handle hex wrench inserted in the head thus allen compression screw martin