Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Lipos - "The cost of flight!"

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Lipos - "The cost of flight!"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
DKhairho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipos - "The cost of flight!"

I've been shopping the web and local hobby shops for a good lipo for my T-Rex 450. I have never ran lipos in any of my other rc's (cars and boats) so I am not up to speed on lipos. Only thing I do know is that they can burn up and that you should never over charge or run them all the way down.

Pricing is where I'm totally lost. One store says $80, one says $80 is too much and $25 or so is just fine. That's a major difference. I'm quite sure the more the cost the better the quality but then, could this place be charging too much?

What should I be paying for an inexpensive good quality lipo and charger? I will not be doing any 3D flight for the next year. That's for certain!

Thanks!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Druss

Default RE: Lipos - "The cost of flight!"

Here's a good set of Kong power http://www.readyheli.com/Kong_Power_...225-3combo.htm works out to $60 each. Don't go for the cheap ones, they don't choose matched cells as well and you'll end up with an unbalanced pack.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:42 PM
DKhairho

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Druss

As for charger, I like the TP 610C which sell for around $125. They will charge any battery type, comes with a balancer for both align and thunder power taps and can handle up to 6S at 10amps. You will need to buy or make the charge cord for the type of power plugs you use, probably deans.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 PM
DKhairho

Ok. Sounds like a winner

I have another new-b question about my set up. For basic flying is this pretty sufficeint?

Radio - Spektrum DX6i
Receiver - Spektrum AR6100
Cyclic Servos - 3x Hitec HS-55
Tail Servo - Hitec HS-81
Motor -Align BL430L 3550K
ESC - Align BL35X
Battery - More than likely the one you suggested
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Druss

Is there a reason you're using the 6100 receiver instead of the 6200? You can probably get away with it but seems a waste to use a full range transmitter with a park flyer receiver. Also, if you can afford it I'd go with the HS65HB. The motor is ok but again the 3700kv motor is better for like $5 more. Be aware that the BL35X puts out 6v so your servos have to withstand that. What are you using for a gyro?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 AM
aland25

If your going to do all of this, the only change I would recommend to what Druss said is to spend the money on the metal gear cyclic servos. The HS65MG's can withstand quite a few crashes (and you will crash). Better to pay the money now than have to buy multiple HB servos.

Also, on the lipos, correct me if I am wrong, but the higher the C rating, the less of the chance you take on "puffing" the battery.
It will also run cooler as well.

I an running the Kong Powers as mentioned above and love them. I also run the Extreme 2200 25C batteries from Helidirect.com. They run about $60 each
Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 AM
alienteabagger

ORIGINAL: DKhairho

Ok. Sounds like a winner

I have another new-b question about my set up. For basic flying is this pretty sufficeint?

Radio - Spektrum DX6i
Receiver - Spektrum AR6100
Cyclic Servos - 3x Hitec HS-55
Tail Servo - Hitec HS-81
Motor -Align BL430L 3550K
ESC - Align BL35X
Battery - More than likely the one you suggested

For gentle sport flying this setup is fine. I ran HS-55s all around (including the tail) up until I swapped the tail servo for a digital one. I just recently swapped out all the cyclic servos because I was going to begin 3D. The HS-55s are fine but remeber, if you get too aggressive on the sticks you will feel their lack of authority.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Skarn

These guys have you covered. But I'll add that I too run the Kong 2200mah 25c batteries and love them. I also agree that the HS-65mg's are the way to go.

Skarn
Old 06-11-2008, 09:19 PM
DKhairho

Wow alot of great info. I am using the Gy240 by Futaba. The servos I have and the gyro were unused items I had purchased for my Axe CP. When I realized how much I was putting into fixing up the Axe to fly better, it made more sense to get a better machine. I am not ready to go aggressive nor anything other than sport flying. I got the 6100 because as I was reading, many posts around the web mentioned that particular receiver. Will it work for now?

The reason I got the T-Rex because I can upgrade it as I grow more advanced in the sport. Right now I am still getting the basics down and use the Real Flight G4 for practice.

I just wanted to get off to a good start. I figured spending too much on parts I may damage in a crash should wait until I fly more than I crash!

I'm going to order the Kong lipos and look into a charger. Is it necessary to also get the balancer?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Druss

Yes you will definitely want a good balancer. If you get the thunder power 610C that I mentioned it comes with a balancer.

As to the parts you have, the heli will fly fine with them to begin with and ya you can upgrade as you go. I was just thinking that that particular receiver is meant more for the DX7 radio and comes stock in the CX2 co-axial heli. I suggest that you not let the heli get too far away from you as the 6100 does not have the same range as the 6200 and better receivers.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
aland25

Yes, you must get a balance charger...I would also recommend getting a "blinky."
I use the blinky after I charge and after a flight religiously.

The 6100 rx you are using is perfectly fine.
I run it in all my helis

I recommend this charger...[link]http://www.toddsmodels.com/product_p/hp-eos0606i.htm[/link]
It plugs into a wall outlet and charges all types of batts.
Juest be sure to buy the correct battery adapter. If you are getting the Kongs, you need...[link]http://www.toddsmodels.com/product_p/hp-lba10-tp.htm[/link]
Old 06-11-2008, 09:29 PM
diverjack

The 610C has a built in balancer. Well worh the money, believe me!
And there's nothing wrong with the AR6100 Rx. I use it in mine and it works great. Very small and light, too.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:47 PM
DKhairho

Thanks fellas! I am wiser since I joined this forum. This is a great networking and learning place. I really appreciate all the help and support from you guys. I'm going on-line right now to order the lipos and charger.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 PM
aland25

If you order from Todd's Models, be sure to become a member, and you will get even better prices than are shown. Also, this is the best website I have found for the specktrum Rx's hands down!

Best of luck!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:13 AM
techrtr

I've got 3 different lipos for my Rex and all are in the 2100, 25C range - Thunderpower, Parkzone, and SMC. I find that the Thunderpower is the best battery followed by the Parkzone. Great flight times, tons of power. I was very disappointed with the SMC after hearing that they are supposed to be really good batteries. Can't get more than 5 minutes of gentle flight out of it and it has noticably less pop than the other batteries. I will definitely go with Thunderpower from now on.

Have never used Kong Power so can't comment them.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:12 PM
gwong
My Feedback: (1)

I haven't tried these myself but I hear they are repackaged Thunder Power batteries.

http://www.zebrahobby.ca/cgi-bin/cp-...=HOME:blithium

Cost is not too bad.

The owner of the store is a good guy, bought from him before and never had an issue.

Cheers,

Gord.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 AM
timothy thompson

forget thunder power paying for a name

prodigybatteries.com are the best! use them in all my scale twins they are wonderful adn get better with use! buy one and then compare flight times and watts and amps put out. you will be a loyal customer! i have 25 of their packs for my rex and my ziroli b-25 and tf cessna 310 so you can see they are good. i use hacker geared motors and axxi cans
Old 06-25-2008, 01:01 AM
timothy thompson

you do not need the rex se to learn i have one. all aluminum and it flys nice but costs 1300. the plastic rex flys as well
Old 06-30-2008, 01:30 AM
ElHora

An excelent charger for the money is the Triton II for $120 or a Triton Jr for $70, I will stand with a good charger and balancer and go a bit cheaper in batteries than doing the oposite. Chargers can ruin your batterie a lot faster than quality!!!!!

Have a good flight