Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM
GotSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!

NJHT
Did you build the R3 yet. Just wondering how it went as I will be getting one shortly. Do you have any pictures you could share
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM
jvino

Where can I find a Gee Bee R3 in the US??
Old 01-26-2008, 03:00 AM
GotSky

There are none yet.. Waiting on Hobby-lobby to start to import.. I was told very soon..
Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM
jvino

Here you go. Affordable too. [sm=72_72.gif]

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/geebee-r3.htm
Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Affordable, I can buy a 60 sized little tonni and a cosmic wind for that price.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:50 PM
shg327

Yeah it seems over priced imo also, it's more affordable than buying from overseas, donuts site shows it at 299 euros ($460ish). If hobby-lobby can get the price down to around $250-280, I'd buy for sure. Unfortunately for me, there are probably enough folks out there that like the look enough to pay the asking price.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone converted it from Electric to Glow?

With the Electric package its closing in on $1500 and its plastic covered...

Ouch
Old 06-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Vulture33

I just received my Donuts Models Gee Bee from Hobby-Lobby.com and it is VERY NICE. There are a few too many efforts to make it light weight in my opinion but that is an overcome able issue as I want to use Glow Fuel.

It does come with two light weight plywood fuselage reinforcements and a balsa sheet to add around the firewall for glow conversion... it also comes with a glow fuel tank and a separate motor mount for electric conversion. There is also a complete hardware package.

This is a first class model in all areas - packaging, assembly, fiberglass and design. One thing I found out quickly is that there is no manual for the airplane in the box, however, there is a link to download it from the www.hobby-lobby.com website on the Gee Bee page: [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/geebee-r3.htm]Hobby Lobby Gee Bee Page[/link] - or directly from here: [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pdf/DMS890_%20GeBeeR3_InstructionManual.pdf]Instruction Manual[/link] - be aware that the manual is limited in detail and has a bunch of translation errors but if you have assembled a few ARF models you should be able to get by with it.

I should have it flying in a couple of weeks.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20397.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	979729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93257.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	979730  
Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 PM
dirtydingus

What do you plan on powering it with? I was thinking about an AX 75. And how did you get one? The arrival date is 7/11.
Jim
Old 06-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Vulture33

I saw this past weekend that Hobby-Lobby had pushed the date back to July 11th but on Thursday they modified it to say "Available Now" so I called - I had pre-ordered - my order was #26 in line - I understand that they are only getting 50 in the first shipment - but don't quote me on that. Anyway mine shipped and arrived today.

I actually got a 26cc gas engine that I was going to use, thinking that it would be comparable to the Great Planes Gee Bee R-2 in size. I attached a picture of the engine.

After getting it and seeing how light weight it is - the gas engine and the required modifications to strengthen the fuselage - made this not really worth the trouble. An AX 75 would be plenty. I am thinking that a 90 four stroke will be too much.

I have a 75 in my Little Toni that I will probably use or a 90 four stroke. I would really like to put a four stroke in it for the sound. I have several engine options, which is good.

I want it fast but sounding good as well.

Putting a over size engine won't be worth the trouble based on the light weight of the construction. It is VERY LIGHT which is good - but it makes it weak. I would be worried about increasing the weight too high just to have the fuselage snap in half on a hard landing.

I would love to start on it this weekend but I have a 1/3 scale ALL ALUMINUM Sopwith Camel that I designed and am fabricating from scratch. I am trying to finish the fabrication of the Camel for our July 12th fly-in (see the attached photos). I will have it fabricated and the Gee Bee ready to fly so I can provide some flight reports.

I will be adding a black box to the Camel that I might stick in the Gee Bee to get some hard data on the performance.

Name:	Om32918.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	979903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14712.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	979904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44552.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	979905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34226.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	979906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28673.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	979907  
Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 AM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

You guys better preorder now. The R3 was a hit at SEFF this year and the SKS SEFF video has the R3 filling up the cover.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/geebee-r3.htm
Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 AM
draces1

Ok VultureI think we're all waiting to see what you went with for power and the flight report.

Why must you keep us all waiting? I'm jealousI wish I had one right now.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Vulture33

Gang,

I had some personal stuff come up that had me out of town. I plan on working on it this week/weekend. I will post an update this weekend.

On the positive front - I already have the flight battery on the charger.

John
Old 07-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm considering drawing a full size set of "builders" plans of the Gee Bee R-3. I'm thinking 72" to 80" in span.

I would like input from other fellow modelers that also have interest and would like to build this model.

Input in model size for engine choice has to be determined.

If I receive a large response, I'll design the plans around the most "agreed" upon size model.

I can offer copies of the plans and also a complete set of graphics for this model.

Certainly I will not copy the model 100%.

I feel the rudder area and look can be improved on. So can the ailerons and their total area. I'd also like to find fiberglass wheel pants already available from a supplier, in the required shape and size. Time saver and would be easier.

I can build, without effort, a fiberglass cowling. However, for a supplier, to make the production of many of them, will require committed interest from others. A bunch would have to be ordered. unless you have the ability to make your own cowling. Not really a big deal to make one actually.

I won't and cannot spend the time to design and draw plans for myself, let alone produce a "bangup" set of great graphics for this particular model. Especially when no plans are being offered. Are plans offered?

So, I hope there's interest because I would like to have this model.

If anyone's interested, you can E-mail me direct at:

[email protected].

E-mail me if you have interest. And please keep in mind that this cannot happen over night, but it can happen.

Thanks,

Charles

www.cfcgraphics.com

Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM
jjmretired
My Feedback: (15)

I also was interested in a IMAA legal R-3. So I'm building one. Basically I'm building from photos of the Airworld R3. If you look at the top view of the Airworld R3, the wing is close to a Spitfire wing. So I purchased a Yellow Aircraft Spitfire wing ( 88") and am almost finished with the fuselage which is scratch built. I have a new Taurus 62 for power. I had TNT Landing gear make up aluminum landing gear and I got the wheel pants from Fiberglass Specialities, I'll try to post some pictures.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Avaiojet

Jim,

Congratulations on your efforts!

88" is a bit large for me, but still a great size model.

Doesn't IMAA have to be at least 1/4 scale of a "scale" airplane?

Also, I believe the cord on the Spitfire may be a tad large, but still a cleaver beginning. Kudos.

I would like to see photos, absolutely!

Charles
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
jvino

If it didn't cost a fortune I would be in for a set. Also a cad file that is ready for a laser cutter would be nice. That way all of the intricate pieces could be burned and the rest of the sticks etc. supplied by the builder. Just an idea. As for size, 50cc would be nice.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Avaiojet

Jving,

Cutting isn't cheep, especially in limited quantities. Drawing plans is one thing, creating perfect "vectored" lines from them are another thing.

It's time consuming, lots of time.

The cutters rely on a balance of sales.

50cc, that would be about 80" to 90", correct?

I have a Brison 2.4. I have absolutely no idea what this engine can do? My guess is 80" in span would be all it could handle if I wanted real speed and performance.

Suggestions?

Charles
Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 AM
jjmretired

I would go with an 80" minimum wing span which is the minimum for IMAA events. Since the R-3 was not a full scale aircraft the 1/4 scale IMAA option would not apply.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:50 PM
jjmretired

Here are a few pictures of my scratch built (from photos only) 88 inch wingspan Gee Bee R-3.

Taurus 62 cc engine. Should be finished this fall.

Name:	Zx70170.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1002662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93825.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1002663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32592.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1002664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90643.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1002665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15787.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1002666  
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Combat 20
My Feedback: (1)

I am currently assemblying the Hobby Lobby Gee Bee R3. Very impressive ARF as far as construction and covering. Instructions are NOW okay. I emphasize NOW because the model comes with no instructions and the instructions that were initially provided online were an absolute joke. The current instructions (Hobby Lobby website) are marked NEW and have so far proven to to okay. Caution: when drilling holes for the landing gear struts, put a wheel collar on the drill bit to prevent it from drilling too far; as in through the top of the wing. Ensure the landing gear axles are aligned properly before attaching the struts to the model.

I will be powering mine with a Tower Hobbies .75 with a Pitts-style muffler. The Hobby-Lobby website led me to think the model was recommended for electric power, but I purchased the ARF with intentions of converting to glow. Upon receiving the model, I found that recommended glow engines ranged from .70 to .80 two-stroke or .90 to 1.2 four-stroke. I have completed steps for ailerons, wings, struts and wheel pants, horizontal stabilzer, and rudder. Presently deviating from instructions to install a "floor" in the canopy to add a pilot, instrument panel, and seat. If anyone has encountered any assembly problems, I would appreciate knowing.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Snoopyxupery

This morning at 6:15 AM Snoopy went for reconnaissance flight over the city to find Charlie Brown with a Cam on board on the Gee Bee "Y". He accomplish the mission with success.
Watch the video on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkM_LKCiBgQ

Name:	Mk24887.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1026334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31234.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1026335  
Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 AM
VeeAte

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

I'm considering drawing a full size set of "builders" plans of the Gee Bee R-3. I'm thinking 72" to 80" in span.

I would like input from other fellow modelers that also have interest and would like to build this model.

Input in model size for engine choice has to be determined.

If I receive a large response, I'll design the plans around the most "agreed" upon size model.

I can offer copies of the plans and also a complete set of graphics for this model.

Certainly I will not copy the model 100%.

I feel the rudder area and look can be improved on. So can the ailerons and their total area. I'd also like to find fiberglass wheel pants already available from a supplier, in the required shape and size. Time saver and would be easier.

I can build, without effort, a fiberglass cowling. However, for a supplier, to make the production of many of them, will require committed interest from others. A bunch would have to be ordered. unless you have the ability to make your own cowling. Not really a big deal to make one actually.

I won't and cannot spend the time to design and draw plans for myself, let alone produce a "bangup" set of great graphics for this particular model. Especially when no plans are being offered. Are plans offered?

So, I hope there's interest because I would like to have this model.

If anyone's interested, you can E-mail me direct at:

[email protected].

E-mail me if you have interest. And please keep in mind that this cannot happen over night, but it can happen.

Thanks,

Charles

www.cfcgraphics.com

Put me down for a set of plans. Providing they arent ludicrously expensive.

If I could pick a scale I would go with 66" wingspan or there abouts (.90 4 stroke engine?). But am willing to go up to anything that will take up to a 50cc engine.

If your looking for volume of interest tho you may be better to go with something between .40 and 1.80 size?

Just a thought.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Avaiojet

I just purchased a Gee Bee R3 NIB.

Engine choice?

Thanks

Charles

www.cfcgraphics.com

Name:	Ki20616.gif
Views:	125
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1039529  
Old 12-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Has anyone finished building / flown their Hobby Lobby Gee Bee R3 yet?

I'm looking for a flight report on this plane.

Thanks, Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.