Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Smartech whats going on with the Thuderbolt reviews

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Smartech whats going on with the Thuderbolt reviews

Old 06-27-2008, 10:48 AM
HaveBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartech whats going on with the Thuderbolt reviews

since the other thread (Question for Smartech)has been locked by Foxy, I just wanted to know from Smartech whats going on with the reviews for the Thunderbolt

I know Foxy has done a review

Hellya just modded the one sent to him as far as I remember

Smartech announced a prototype body and some different wheels

so where are we up to with the other reviews and the final outcome of the Thunderbolt?????
Old 06-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Smartechracing

Default RE: Smartech whats going on with the Thuderbolt reviews

The prototype body is under tooling now, once we finish the body we will post on forum.
For different wheels, you can check our website.
Soon will have two new wheel design for "Thunder Bolt"
Old 06-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be doing a new video this weekend with a different engine. Whatever the result of that video is, my review will be completely finished and posted next week. This time I guarantee it. I always meant what I was saying, but then had other ideas which I believed would be better for the review. It also has given me more time for testing, and I'm pleased to say that still, the only problem I have had is the lack of top end power from the engine, and the dogbones popping out issue.

I apologise to everyone for the delays. Nelson, I hope you will send me one of those bodies so I can show it off for you.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Gas jocky

Have Blue I'm glad you brought this question up. I was given confirmation long ago that I was to receive a Thunderbolt for review, well I waited and waited for it to come then finally I e-mailed Smartech (Nelson) , he assured me it was coming it just wasn't ready yet. So I waited and waited some more then I e-mailed again only this time Nelson said they didn't have any left for review BUT if I wanted to buy one I could. Funny they don't have one for review but they got one for sale!! Why in the world would a company promise people something then back out with no explanation. Sorry I'm just disappointed in the whole deal. Shows that some company's just aren't up front.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 PM
HaveBlue

Hi Gas jockey, I raised this thread because I am in the same boat as you so this is for both our benefits I hope, I knew you got nominated aswell

Ffirst Smartech said they would send one but charge freight only, then I got another pm saying they would charge for freight and the buggy but send a free box of spares..

like you I am waiting and waiting....I was going to take it my my club that races the Travellers and let those guys do the reviews..they would have had at least 20 opinions from various members..I staying focused on my on-road racing and getting my FG EVO8, but none the less I might have tried to take it further and develope a new class of 4wd racing if the interest was there.

I have had communications with Chris from Smartech....as I have some other issues that need sorting out aswell..communication as we all know has not been so forth comming..but I can see that Chris is trying to make an effort, he will chase up the relevant department/people to addressthe issues..this, at least ,is a good sign... so now we wait some more

cheers
HB

Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Smartechracing

ORIGINAL: Gas jocky

Have Blue I'm glad you brought this question up. I was given confirmation long ago that I was to receive a Thunderbolt for review, well I waited and waited for it to come then finally I e-mailed Smartech (Nelson) , he assured me it was coming it just wasn't ready yet. So I waited and waited some more then I e-mailed again only this time Nelson said they didn't have any left for review BUT if I wanted to buy one I could. Funny they don't have one for review but they got one for sale!! Why in the world would a company promise people something then back out with no explanation. Sorry I'm just disappointed in the whole deal. Shows that some company's just aren't up front.
Hello Gas Jocky,

We would like to apologize about what had happen.

At first, one of our Sales was working on this project, but the finial decision was not up on her. At that point of time, we have post on the web that the finial testing person will only be three due to too many sample are required are free of charge (sample + shipping cost). And any sample after the “three†will be charge with a special price, if we have enough sample.

Our finial name list was;

1. Foxy
2. Hellya
3. Cal-Torque

But, after all the sample was send out, you inform us that our Sales has also confirm the sample with you too… which we have no idea, by then, all was too late… Sorry…

That’s why when you confirm this issue with me, I’ve offer you our wholesale price, which we don’t do that to any customer besides the Importer or Wholesaler.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 PM
HaveBlue

if you check this again you should see where I was notified as the third, not cal torque he came back saying that he didn't recieve an email whereas I did

when I get my other pc back online after the XP update problem I will cut and paste your reply with date, you can then go back and see who got what who posted what comment

I guess in the end it now doesn't matter, two guys got them for reviews and two guys missed out
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Cal-Torque

I think that the language barrier is an issue. And, there seems to be quite a few people answering on Smartech's behalf under the one ID.
I received mine quite a while ago. It was missing the wing, so I had to wait about 2 weeks for that. The weather didn't cooperate for several weeks, but I should get some drive time this weekend.
The radio gear on mine was faulty. Throttle EPA doesn't work, and it was all very twitchy. The servos seem very decent though. I dropped in a Nomadio transceiver, and I should be good to go.
A very short test drive in my backyard reveals the same issues as the Titan. The centre diff requires locking/stiff lube because it puts more power to the front. The problem in that is that the diffs aren't sealed. You could spool it like the Redcat I guess. I opted for an FG locking diff. That's another story.
Bearings aren't great... I replaced most from VXB.
Shocks are good, but require thicker fluid and different spring combos.
The dogbone issue (popping out) is easily fixed with Elcon conical springs in all of the cups. Works great.
Badly needs a pipe (even the Carson version with a CY27). I opted for a JetPro.

Overall, the core unit is very good, but it requires some upgrading out of the box to take any serious abuse. In my opinion, it's MUCH better than my FS MT. I'll have a Redcat on the way shortly, and see how that stacks up.

I'll try to get some vid of the stock buggy vs my "upgraded" Titan (Carson Gas Devil).

My primary concern for Smartech is that they didn't hammer the market initially, and back it up with parts and upgrade support. That left the door open for Redcat... Seriously, they should have had someone to coordinate the whole process. I don't believe that it's a lack of diligence or intent...just growing pains from a cloner to a credible brand.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Smartechracing

we still waiting the reviews
Old 06-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Gas jocky

Just to show I'm not full of BS check the date of my confirmation...Smartech thanks for the apology but too little too late.

Hi Scott,

As confirmed you are part of the team.

In this case, can you please give us your shipping address, phone number, full name.

And yes, you can post on the RCU that you are also included in the test team. J

P.S. Due to some technical issue, some time we won't be able to receive your e-mail on our company e-mail account. Therefore, please also copy the e-mail to our G-Mail account.

Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Nelson Yu

Sales Manager

PERFECT INTERNATIONAL GROUP

www.smartechracing.com

e-mail 1: [email protected]

e-mail 2: [email protected]

General: +86.769.8362.4851

Sale Dept. +86.769.8362.9461

Fax: +86.769.8362.9460/8362.4327

(Pacific Time Zone +8)

-Original Message-

Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 10:58 PM
To: G-Mail
Subject: RE: Thunderbolt testing

Hello Nelson

I e-mailed yesterday in response to your last coraspondance (attached)thanking

you for including me but I'm not 100% sure if I am part of the test team? I

included my shipping and contact info in that e-mail. Just wanting to know if I

can post on the RCU forum that I am infact apart of this and will be receiving

your new Thunderbolt?

(ps. the reson I'm confused is you did not ask me for my shipping info?)

Sorry for any confusion.

Regards

Scott

-

> Hi Scott,

>

>

>

> Thank you for been interest in our cars!

>

>

>

> We will be looking forward for your help testing the Thunder Bolt and your

> report.

>

>

>

> Tks!

>

>

>

> P.S. Due to some technical issue, some time we won't be able to receive your

> e-mail on our company e-mail account. Therefore, please also copy the

> e-mail to our G-Mail account.

>

>

>

> Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your understanding.

>

>

>

>

>

> Best Regards,

>

>

>

> Nelson Yu

>

> Sales Manager

>

> PERFECT INTERNATIONAL GROUP

>

> <http://www.smartechracing.com> www.smartechracing.com

>

> e-mail 1: <mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]

>

> e-mail 2: <mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]

>

> General: +86.769.8362.4851

>

> Sale Dept. +86.769.8362.9461

>

> Fax: +86.769.8362.9460/8362.4327

>

> (Pacific Time Zone +8)

>

>

>

>

>

> -Original Message-

> Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:09 PM

> To: [email protected]

> Subject: Thunderbolt testing

>
Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Dave ESPI

OMG DRAMA !

hahaha.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 PM
benk

I hope Smartech takes note of these post in this thread and in the other thread that got a bit heated and sees this as a positive that there are some isues with comunication ect. and look to improve on these problems in the future as this is what is giving Smartech a bad name. Unless the customers are happy then sales will continue to fall
Old 06-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Smartechracing

ORIGINAL: benk

I hope Smartech takes note of these post in this thread and in the other thread that got a bit heated and sees this as a positive that there are some isues with comunication ect. and look to improve on these problems in the future as this is what is giving Smartech a bad name. Unless the customers are happy then sales will continue to fall
Thanks for your comment.

We will try our best to impove.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2008, 08:04 PM
HaveBlue

Well from what I see, Smartech is trying to do alot more than previously about the lack of communication.The last few days Chris Cheng has been responding quickly to all my correspondence, not only about this but other issues I am talking to Smartech about, from the information provided to me , it seems there are internal changes being made within Smartech, so while they have sustained some damage to their reputation, it's looking like this will be sorted out and maybe things will start getting better for all concerned

I dont think they will be sending a Thunderbolt so I can give it to the off road club to review , but then again I think the offer was a bit over board to begin with..a bit of a gimmick to get a good name up buy giving away a couple of freebies to guys , as I see it there was only one proper review done..and I'll leave it there.

I'm not sore about the situation as even though I got an email saying one would be sent , I always look at it like that there are no guarentees in life and nothing is owed to me, even though the guys at the club are dissappointed about not doing the review the situation is what it is

I raised this thread to see what Smartech had to say since pm's weren't getting answered , whats transpired over the last couple of days, it has served it's purpose ..

Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Gas jocky

HaveBlue I just received a pm from Chris as well, as you described they are having internal staff issues that hopefully are being dealt with. He gave me a sincere apology for the lack of communication. I too agree that it's not like they owe me anything at all, I was told I would get one so I assumed I would. In other words I told my son he could have the Thunderbolt after the review was finished so I have to keep my word with him..and I will, my mistake!. Integrity! Sounds like Smartech might have some after all, we'll see...
Old 06-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Cal-Torque

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

as I see it there was only one proper review done..and I'll leave it there.

That's a fair comment I guess, but Foxy didn't leave a lot for us to offer... Should we tear it down, document everything, and try to write more than he did? What would you serve up if you had received one? I can let my local club test drive it and offer feedback if that's of value to anyone. The chances of everyone dropping nitro, and building a new track for largescale are as good as me getting lucky with Jessica Alba.

I think that Smartech had good intentions, but again, the communication was very broken.
Was it a well-thought out strategy/promotion? No. Effectively, we all wanted a cool new toy for free, and hopefully offer some value to the RC community.
Was there really any opportunity for our recommendations to affect the end product? Probably not.
What would I suggest to Smartech:
- decent radio gear, or none at all
- high cap receiver battery
- piston options for shocks, and thicker fluid as stock
- sealed diffs with aluminum carriers (if not possible, put a spool in the center)
- Baja-style drive stubs with knurled wheel nuts (or, at least reverse-threaded stubs with good locking nuts)
- better bearings
- better air filter
- conical springs in all of the drive cups
- include pipe
- all hex head screws and bolts

Overall, is it a good unit? Yes.
Would I buy it at $1300 in it's current state, and given other alternatives in the market? No.
Can I be any more honest?

I'll gladly answer any questions, or take additional pics as requested. For any members in Calgary, PM me if you'd like to give it a rip. You break, you pay for the parts.
Cheers all.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 PM
hellya

I started my review and wanted to compair it to a couple of other 4x4 vehicles in my review.... the review will be done soon but it didnt want to post up my 1/2 done review but since some people have issues......I have also taken the 28cc Smartech engine and stuck it in a baja to see what kind of top end it really has...videos of that will be in my final production review too.

That's a fair comment I guess, but Foxy didn't leave a lot for us to offer... Should we tear it down, document everything, and try to write more than he did? What would you serve up if you had received one?
Well I wont be doing the detailed/long and informative review as Foxy did.....that would just be repeating the same info....I want to be alittle different installing new engine compairing to other 4x4 ect.....deverse along with a RTR general review

http://www.fg-hopups.com/smartechthunderbolt.html
Old 06-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Smartechracing

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I'll be doing a new video this weekend with a different engine. Whatever the result of that video is, my review will be completely finished and posted next week. This time I guarantee it. I always meant what I was saying, but then had other ideas which I believed would be better for the review. It also has given me more time for testing, and I'm pleased to say that still, the only problem I have had is the lack of top end power from the engine, and the dogbones popping out issue.

I apologise to everyone for the delays. Nelson, I hope you will send me one of those bodies so I can show it off for you.
Is this body?
Ok. we will inform you when the tooling done.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24064.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	980488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46163.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	980489  
Old 06-29-2008, 01:34 AM
HaveBlue

ORIGINAL: hellya
but since some people have issues......
In case I misunderstood what you mean here, can you elaborate on this?

If your reference is to me and/or gas jockey...the objective was to get this out into the forum because PM's weren't being responded to. I'm not going to sit around and wonder..I get to point and find out whats going on ..either way we wanted to know, at least Gas jockey made enquiries when he did, cause Nelsons email is now full and any more are bouncing back

more people than intended were notified that they were chosen..fine, **** happens I can except that as stated in my earlier post, Gas jockey has told his son & my son is dissapointed to that no buggy will turn up, more so in my case I was going to give it to the boys at the club to review..yeah their dissapointed to ..the main focus of this thread(from my perspective) was to see the
intergity of the company and again as stated earlier at this I am quite satisfied with how smartech are handling this. There seems to be a focus on getting back on track

as for the excuses given about the reviews and not wanting to sound exactly like Foxy..well sorry guys this all sounds piss weak to me unless you intended to copy what foxy wrote, ..having three people at different locations come up with the same thing is highly unlikley and also considering you had differing troubles to Foxy..I just dont buy it..further more it was not suppose to be a comparision review and what other 4wd do you have to compare it with, you started modifing yours almost immediately. I was under the impression that it was to be a review of a RTR Thunderbolt, correct me if I'm wrong

to close off, I wonder how or what you would say if you got chosen and then not recieved one ,do you think you might have an issue then..hmmm

Old 06-29-2008, 02:34 AM
hellya

I own a fs 4x4 and soon to own the rampage 4x4. I have 10 1/5 vehicles in total ......if you remeber correctly I didnt start modifing i took it to a Bmx track and then a couple baseball fields..I was dissapointed with the engine and its top end performance and tried 2 different tunepipes even showed everyone how it handled with and without the tunedpipe...I showed how it handled stock RTR and with upgrades

I did like a on going review started with the RTR version posted videos and a basic review.... then I heard what other people here on the RCU had to say about lack of power and such from the videos I showed.. I agreed...hence the upgrades

I showed problems as they occured and upgrades I made...... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...%2Cthunderbolt
Old 06-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Cal-Torque

as for the excuses given about the reviews and not wanting to sound exactly like Foxy..well sorry guys this all sounds piss weak to me
Now, you're just being ignorant.
Please elaborate on exactly what more you would like to know. What else would you include in your review?
How much more can this unit be dissected? It's a basic flat pan chassis nitro design with a gas engine. There's nothing revolutionary about it.
I can't make up details that aren't there. And, I noted all of the issues that I've had so far, or know from my Gas Devil.
Other than not using the radio gear, I have not modified mine at all. I couldn't bring myself to wheel a rig this big and dangerous with a crappy FM radio, especially given that there were some issues with it to begin with. The mods that I reference are with my Carson Gas Devil (Titan). The core of the 2 are identical. I've given you my no-fluff commentary on it. I can go on and on about useless crap, but what's the point...

I understand your disappointment, but don't make it personal. You lose all of your credibility when you do that. It's not my fault that Smartech sent me one, and not you. I wasn't counting on it, even after they had confirmed via PM that I had been selected. I never made it public because I wasn't convinced that they would follow through. When they sent the tracking #, I was very surprised.

I sincerely hope that Smartech does send you one. I'm on your side regarding the very poor manner in which this was handled. Everything about it was messy... Don't count on them becoming super credible over night. No offense to Smartech, but they've built their business on cloning designs. Even with the best intentions, it will take time to build their brand. I had suggested a long time ago that they enter the market with a different name. I believe that they were going to use "Nutech". That's not very marketable either in my opinion.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:00 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Smartechracing

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Is this body?
Ok. we will inform you when the tooling done.[img][/img]
Yes, that's the one, thanks. It won't affect the review though, I've dragged my feet and it will be up during the week. I'll show off the body in the forums when I get it, I do like it a LOT.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Foxy

Well from what I see, Smartech is trying to do alot more than previously about the lack of communication.The last few days Chris Cheng has been responding quickly to all my correspondence, not only about this but other issues I am talking to Smartech about, from the information provided to me , it seems there are internal changes being made within Smartech, so while they have sustained some damage to their reputation, it's looking like this will be sorted out and maybe things will start getting better for all concerned
Absolutely agree with this, and this is why I have been prepared on a number of occasions to stick my neck out for them. I believe they are on the road to improvement, and while that may not satisfy some people who have been waiting a long time for parts, who have a right to be annoyed, I think it bodes well for the future. Improvement is a slow process. Smartech is managed by a parent company, and no doubt there are some restrictions being applied there. I personally am doing what I can to give them advice, and I hope at least some of it is taken on board, even if it is not possible to be implemented immediately.

I consult on Business Process as well as IT, so I know what I'm talking about. Some of my clients for performance improvement have not shown as much improvement as Smartech has in the short time that they have been trying to thrust themselves forward.

Smartech, sort out the communication issues, and then the supply issues, and take it from there, I think you're on the right track. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-29-2008, 03:25 AM
HaveBlue

sorry you took offence at that , wasn't entirely directed at you, but examining the internals of the buggy , yes this would draw similar comment, I was expecting more comment in the drivability and how the buggy handled jumps and general bashing any weakness or strengths and again I can't imagine everyone comming up with the same thing, even your post above states a difference to what foxy found with his Thunderbolt ,as for arogance..fine , if thats how you see it , I'm ok with that coz I dont believe in being backward in comming forward so I respect that

If its made out as if I have issues I will defend that, and I'll state this for a third time now , I wasn't even going to do the review myself as for the ground test , but I was going to write it up..
at this stage unless there is a consenses at the off road club to go ahead, I will be looking at organising a 4wd racing class..I've got bigger things on my plate than a simple review or getting a buggy,

I thought the offer was a bit generous to begin with and have conceded that they over quoted themselves, ..no problem for me I realise mistakes happen , my issue was poor communications , and anybody with any sense knows things can't get fixed up overnight, but I am pleased that Smartech are looking into this issue of communication, I appreciate that they have had internal problems which Chris is handling at the moment..it's going to take a little bit of time to recover what reputation was lost but as the saying goes time heals all wounds and I can see positive steps to improve the company . we are getting alot more positive responses so thats pretty good in my book.

well hellya congrates on all the 4wd, nice little collection you have there, that I wasn't aware of , but I stand by what I said , I believe Smartech wanted a review of their RTR vehicle which you did post a video about ,its just hard to gauge exactly what you thoughts are if we just watch a video off it running around, maybe it was my expection of a write up, which is what I think a review is rather than a few seperate posts..I guess thats personal intrepretation and I was expecting a full write up
Old 06-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Cal-Torque

as for arogance..fine
I said ignorant, not arrogant... JK

I do understand how you feel. It's very frustrating. But, I do sense some hope for Smartech. And, they better hurry up or Redcat will eat their breakfast. Beyond that, you know that HPI can't be too far behind the market.

As far as driveability, I'm not a racer so I don't have any perspective as far as that goes. For bashing, I've been pretty gentle with it. It tends to nose dive on jumps, and it's too much mass to correct with throttle. I haven't changed springs or oil weights to try to correct. It turns sharply, but needs better power distribution (adjustable or locked center diff). Mine pulls more than it pushes. The engine is doggish, but better than the FS turd. Pipe is a must.

Regardless of improvements in communication (etc), this buggy won't catch on at the current price structure. I would pay up to $1000 for an ARTR version.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.