Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

RB Engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:34 PM
vladconnery
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB Engine ?

I just got an RB S311 L2G, I spent the whole day breaking it in the manufactors prescribed way (dont want to debate heat cycle versus manufactors method on this thread) Factory settings are LSN 3 HSN 3 1/2. It was a *&^$ to start or rather user error was making it a %(#* to start lets be honest. Don't ask what I did wrong taking that one to the grave with me[:-]. Part of manufactors method is getting it to 4 stroke no problem. To get it to 4 stroke I had to go out 6 + turns lost count after awhile. No issues with any of the break in. Now heres the thing I'm done breaking it in got atleast 12 tanks or more through her. I am well at the point where I can lean her out some.

I started leaning her out went to 5 1/2 turns from closed she still smoking & spitting gas leaves a good spot if sitting for 10 seconds. She's running good no problems. I get to 5 turns out from closed she's stepping it up nicely still smoking and spitting from stinger like its going out of style. I run her for a while on this setting and I notice she is getting faster and faster pretty much like she supposed. Check temps 200-240 depending if it was a long run or not Idles like a pro.

Now here is where it gets scary for a rookie. I take her to 4 3/4 turns from closed She is screaming like a banshhee sometimes I could barley hold her. I thought she is trying to rip the tires of the rims. I'm like what the heck I check temps 220-240 smoking good constantly spiting from the stinger still. I run the rest of that tank out and call it day. If factory settings are 3 1/2 turns from closed what is she going to be doing when I get there. Or maybe I have it wrong and I'm past factory settings and have leaned her out. I get home I count turns closing HSN 4 3/4 turns to close it. Never touched LSN. Check book again factory is 3 1/2. Now I am a rook and this is my 1st real engine. Had a xtm .247 an a GO .18.

I just need an RB user to chime in and let me know if this is cool what experiences did you have with yours? Were my temps to High and what temps are to high? Just so you know yes I put her back to BDC used plenty after run and cleaned her and put her to bed.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:03 PM
rccheech

Default RE: RB Engine ?

All of my RB's seem to run around 260-300 degrees after break-in(on extreme racing conditions they have been in the 310's to 320's). They usually wake up around the 3 turn from closed mark, just remember that temps are a reference point and like a fingerprint, no two engines will run at the same temp when tuned at peak performance, go easy on the RB's needle settings untill you reach the 1 gallon mark, after the gallon you should notice the engine waking up big time.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:11 PM
sfar785

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know that you're not supposed to tune to temp, but isn't 320* a little hot? i don't let my motors get past 260*.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
vladconnery

Thanks rccheech,

You were one of the people I was hoping to hear from. I've heard you talk about your RB's for a while now a friend of mine talked me into getting one. Man am I glad, so this is what real power feels like. Am so happy right now that thing can talk the talk and walk the walk so far. I've watched a few you tube races and heard how there engines sonded and man she sounds just like them. Now to just get it put in a decent buggy.

Still looking for a responce from the rest of you RB runners.

rccheech did you break yours in the manufactors way I remeber you had gotten 8 gal out of some of yours if not more?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:50 PM
mfroot

rccheech Is dead on my three port does not wake up till around 265-275 and once you get about a gallon throw it it really comes to alive.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:02 PM
vladconnery

Wondering what i've gotten myself into she already screaming like a banshee. This thing must be a sleeping Dragon. I guess my inexperience with quality engines is shining through. This is definately more than I imagined not that I'm complaining. I just wondering how fast are these things. Thinking to myself I haven't touched the LSN for take off she already takes off like a bat out of hell. Geeeesh the fun I've been missing. ROFLMAO thinking of my neighbor who wants to race me this is going to be to good. I already dusted himwith my xtm .247. Ran my other neighbors bike ate him for lunch with the .247. And to think all I wanted was a motor that had some pep and would start and idle if you ever had an .247 you would understand what I'm talking about. The RB idle'd the 1st tank out with no problem I didn't have to do any adjustments straight out the box.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 PM
mfroot

And the best part is these engines have no problem running for 10-12 gallons of fuel with no rebuild check out the pic's i just posted of my three port i modded.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Chopped02

I run mine at 240 to 250. I would get a bit nervous if it hit 300. Just my opinion. They really don't wake up until you get a gallon through it. Break in went smooth but until I hit the gallon mark, I was wondering if I had wasted my money because it didn't seem to make much power and wouldn't hold a tune. Now that its got about a gallon and a half through it, I am really impressed with RB's quality and power. It fires up easy, idles perfect and I rarely have to even touch the needles now.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:28 PM
vladconnery

Chopped,

Well I guess I lucked out mine is making alot of power early. Thats also realative to what I am used to a XTM .247. So for me early on I knew I hit the Jackpot. This thing idles like a car. Glad your experience turned out good in the end. Seems everyone is saying the same thing after a gallon Hold on to your shorts. I am equally impressed by the ease of starting. I had to heat mine with a hairdryer the 1st time after that. Give it a bump and she's purring. What other motors have you owned?
Old 06-29-2008, 05:29 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: vladconnery

Thanks rccheech,

You were one of the people I was hoping to hear from. I've heard you talk about your RB's for a while now a friend of mine talked me into getting one. Man am I glad, so this is what real power feels like. Am so happy right now that thing can talk the talk and walk the walk so far. I've watched a few you tube races and heard how there engines sonded and man she sounds just like them. Now to just get it put in a decent buggy.

Still looking for a responce from the rest of you RB runners.

rccheech did you break yours in the manufactors way I remeber you had gotten 8 gal out of some of yours if not more?
I used the heat cycle method with my break in stand, but the method you did should be fine as well. And yes, I got 8 gallons out of my older WS7II but I over reved it on a jump and snapped the rod[:'(]
Old 06-29-2008, 05:35 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: sfar785

i know that you're not supposed to tune to temp, but isn't 320* a little hot? i don't let my motors get past 260*.
It might be a little hot, I didn't let it stay at that temp, my pitman richened it up, but this was near the end of a 45 minute hellacious main!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
stoney05

i run an rb s5 it was making great power right after breakin after a gallon it was insane mine run 200-250 but now me and a freind of mine modded it now it is really insane.i used heat cycle method.the motor goes crazy on an 086 pipe
Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Chopped02

Aside from several garbage RTR engines, I have had an OS .21 VG (junk) and run an OS XZ28, Jammin JPX .28 and .21. The RB is definately one of my favorites though. What nitro % are you running on your S3? The reason I ask is when I was trying to tune mine at about a half gallon, I noticed that mine had 2 shims under the cooling head. I emailed RB and asked how many shims I should run for 20%. They said that the engine was shimmed for 25% to 30% nitro and that I should remove one 1mm shim for that content. It did help with tunning but like I said before, it really didn't wake up til it hit the gallon mark. Glad to see you don't seem to have any issues with yours.
ORIGINAL: vladconnery

Chopped,

Well I guess I lucked out mine is making alot of power early. Thats also realative to what I am used to a XTM .247. So for me early on I knew I hit the Jackpot. This thing idles like a car. Glad your experience turned out good in the end. Seems everyone is saying the same thing after a gallon Hold on to your shorts. I am equally impressed by the ease of starting. I had to heat mine with a hairdryer the 1st time after that. Give it a bump and she's purring. What other motors have you owned?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:51 PM
vladconnery

I'm running 20% trinity MH. Hmmm thats interesting needing to remove a shim cause it set for 25-30%. rccheech would know he runs alot of RB's. I cant imagine that its shimmed wrong cause its running so nicely. However I'm probally at a lil more than a 1/3 of gallon through her. Have been thinking about a 5-7 port Go. However after this I may need to rethink that Idea and go with another RB if aint broke don't fix it. I still need to get a track buggy my XTM not gonna cut it. I'm waiting to get a LOSI one step at a time for me. I figure by the time I get this engine broke in I should have a Losi to drop it into. What buggy you running?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Damin69

I would say not to worry to much as long as you are getting good smoke and you are not blowing glow plugs. I have an S3 and that thing only runs good when it is running between 240-270. And it still have lots of fuel spitting out the stinger.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:48 PM
rccheech

I run all of my engines with all of the fatory shims, I use Byrons 30% race gen 2. If your using under 20% nitro you may want to remove the .01 shim.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:18 PM
vladconnery

Well I took it out again today and ran about another 6 tanks through her. Couldnt really get the temps up today never saw 240 she would only get to 230ish if it was a long run. No problems with idle or running for that matter. She is still screaming like a Banshee. I'm at 4 1/2 turns from closed on the HSN I'm going to take her out again this evening. I think I need to start working her back to factory settings of 3 1/2 from closed. Performance is still improving with each turn of the HSN.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:39 PM
relay8039

Some experience with my NR P5. Thought it was tuned, running good on the track. Temps would run to 230. Then a stranger came over and asked if he could help me out. I watched him make two passes in the streight, lean it out, he repeated that for about 20 minutes. Gave me back the buggy, temps were around 260-270. And I had no earthly idea what fast was until he helped me out. Now I really know what a tuned motor sounds like I became a better tuner. The RB is a good mill, and I am sure your experience will be like mine, shock that this mill could put out the power it does. Good luck with the tuning.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
rccheech

Well Vlad, it sounds like you are enjoying that engine, it seems you are on a good path for a long lasting engine, it's good to hear positive feedback, I hope all goes well for you. When you find the tune for it that thing is gonna rip it up, you will be amazed when it's real power comes in, are you planning on racing or just bashing??? Either way it sounds like your loving it and thats what it all comes down to...... having a blast!!!!! Good luck to you[8D]
Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 PM
j_blaze

i do remember the beginning of my s3 was pretty insane too, it does get better. i modded mine slightly, smoother air flow and it is wicked. the best thing to do for me was to put a high torque pipe on it and gear it up a tooth or two. this way it smoothens out the bottom end, which this motor has way to omuch of, and gives it a bit more straight away speed, also a bit more economical. i run it 230-250 with an odonnell 99 med/cold plug and maxy's 30%, dynamite maxlife shoes and mugen 1.1 springs and this motor is butter with a 14t bell in a buggy. i love it for club racing and practice. my s5 is for the big boys to contend with and when i get the s7 its for the big races. have fun.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:51 PM
vladconnery

Definately got my eye on racing. I'm going to drop her over in a LOSI later this month. Right now it's in an XTM X2. I took it out again like I said it started HSN at 4 1/2 turns from closed. Temps would barely reach 240 for the 1st 2 tanks. Went to 4 1/4 she ran good as usual temps were at 250 this was for 2 tanks. went to 4 turns from closed and temps got to 260 once they were at 270. I got scared and put it back to 4 1/2 ran for a while longer temps went right bacck down to between 220 - 240. Think I'm going to run her like that for a while. She running really good no need to push her just yet I want to get more nitro thru he 1st.