Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Monsoon Wheels on Avalanche?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Syclone354

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Wheels on Avalanche?

I need to replace the wheels on my avalanche. ive busted two of them, and want to put a dish style wheel on that will hold up better to abuse. I notice the monsoon has dish wheels and was wondering if they are the same size wheels as the avalanche wheels (height and width). Obviously they are all 17mm hex. If so i wanna get a set and mount the avalanche tires on them. If anyone knows please feel free to chime in!

Thanks!
Tom
Old 06-29-2008, 09:29 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monsoon Wheels on Avalanche?

im not sure Tom...if you have a lhs close by you may take a wheel in and compare to like a proline...I do think you may have to put extensions on it but the may be alright...
Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Syclone354

yea went to hobbytown and that had nothing for me there so im stuck with ordering online. I have a feeling the wheels are the same dimensions on the monsoon and avalanche.

I removed a tire from the broken rim and measured the avalanche wheel. Looks to be 4" OD x 3" wide x 1/2" offset
Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 AM
ugly duck

The Avalanche wheels will fit the Monsoon, so it should work backwards. The Avalanche tires are taller than the Monsoon tires, so if you install Monsoon wheels/tires onto your Avalanche, expect more low-speed torque at the expense of top speed. Also expect to lose some ground clearance.

They both have 17mm wheels, IIRC, but I think the Monsoon has more offset? I think 1/2" offset wheels should fit just fine, but I don't have either a Monsoon or an Avalanche to prove it, so this is at your own risk.

Edit - are you asking about adding Avalanche tires onto Monsoon wheels? Ew, I haven't got a clue.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Syclone354

ORIGINAL: Syclone354

... If so i wanna get a set and mount the avalanche tires on them...

Thanks!
Tom
LOL yea the other stuff is obvious. My original question is if the monsoon and avalanche wheels are the same exact size.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 AM
ugly duck

'kay, sorry... missed that part. It was early and I'd just woken up. Excuses, excuses.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Syclone354

;-)

If anyone has a monsoon and could get some measurements on a wheel post them up!

Also if anyone has replaced their avalanche wheels post up some pics of what you used!

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
madmarty

i put ofna 1/2" extenders with proline 40 series tires and proline velocity with the 1/2" offset. works perfectly. also try looking in the monsoon thread, has some very good information. i think the monsoon wheels are 1" offset.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Syclone354

Well i ended up ordering a set of these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPEC5

They are 4 inch x 3.5 inch with 17mm hex so they are pretty much the exact same size as the stock avalanche wheels but look much beefier around the nut (where both of my wheels broke)