Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

nitro question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

nitro question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 PM
nitro_racer_1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro question

hi, i recently bought a used seaducer 42" boat with an os .81, my problem is that this boat has 2 tanks, a big gas tank and a smaller tank that is plummed into the gas tank. my last boat didnt have this set up, what is the little tank for? oil?
thanks!
Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Dan S

Default RE: nitro question

that little tank is also for fuel, we call them Hopper tank.

There are a good number of people that uses the Hopper tank system, the carb gets its fuel from the smaller tank and the small tank (the hopper) gets its fuel from the bigger tank.

This means that your always running with a full tank, you always have a constant supply of fuel regardless of how rough the water is or how much left and right turns your doing, it also eliminates that lean run you get when the tank is getting low (unless you empty the hopper as well).

Dan.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
nitro_racer_1

thanks alot! really appreciate it
Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Sean Bowf

When you fill it...fill it through the little tank. That is, fill it through the line that goes to the carb...which will fill the hopper first, then the larger tank.

Little story...and an example of the use of the hopper tank. I got my kids a little .21 seaducer mono. It only has a single tank setup. Kid goes out...runs half or more of the tank out, then starts doing large sweeping left turns. Boat dies. I tell her don't do left turns in the boat like that. As teenagers do...she doesnt listen. She fills it back up and starts running all over the place. Gets down to half tank or less of fuel...does a large left turn, boat dies.

The boat is dying because the pickup for the fuel is in the left side of the tank. When the single tank gets lower on fuel, and you do a left turn (especially for a large sweeping turn), it starves the engine of fuel because the pickup is no longer in fuel. If her setup had a hopper tank in it...it would not have died in the left turns because even when the pickup in the large tank is not in the fuel, the hopper tank would have been totally full of fuel and it would have made it through the left turn.

Sean
Old 07-01-2008, 11:38 PM
nitro_racer_1

thanks for the info, i wasnt sure how you were supposed to fill it. and thanks for the explaination, makes sence!