Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Any one ever use Tenergy batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
losifiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one ever use Tenergy batteries?

They are pretty cheap and suposedly have a 40 amp dischager rate. Any one have any experience with them? Looking for few packs for my wheelie king and Slash with VXL brushless.

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1778

Thanks,
Rafael
Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 PM
ohgrfreak

Default RE: Any one ever use Tenergy batteries?

I've always wanted to try out tenergy batteries, but I could never find the courage to actually do it. I've heard mixed reviews from that they suck to that they are the best bang for the buck around. For brushless though, you want a high quality battery no matter what, so I'd skip the tenergy if I were you and get a battery from a good brand with some good cells. EP, IB, EnerG, etc...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:38 PM
MonkeyFist

I actually worked for Tenergy for a while doing some sales and tech support. They are good cells, but nothing spectacular. If you are running a brushless system them make sure to get good packs, EP cells, Intellect and the like. They will give you much more performance out of your setup over an average battery.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 AM
rawfuls
My Feedback: (1)

Agreed. They're great cells, just nothing spectacular (As above :P)

I did a reivew on those exact ones.. on RCGroups.

Here's the link *IM NOT ADVERTISING ANYTHING*

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879740

I also did a review on the charger:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879878
Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
mmkain

i;ve got the 2 tenergy regular 4500 packs & 2 propel 4500 packs. i love them especially the propels ( i get about 40 mins run time with both my brushless set ups (8.5 xbr & 5.5 gtb).
the 4500 regulars are starting to show wear even tho i've tried cycling them, they don't take a full charge. that might be cause when i first got them i was charging them at 6 amps, then i found out that they are only to be charged at 4 amps. i've had them for about 9 months
the propels though are real strong & cheaper than their competition
Old 07-03-2008, 01:42 PM
RCJesse

They work great and last a while on NON-BRUSHLESS setups. Brushless makes them heat up too much that they'll eventually die quicker.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:59 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tenergy batteries work great for bashing. I have several of their packs and I love them. I run them in both my normal brushed cars and my VXL and MM5700 brushless car and trucks. That said here is my recommendation. If you are running brushed motors the stick packs are fine as assembled. If you are running brushless you should buy loose cells or rebuild the packs SxS with battery bars and good wire.. The cells are great but the construction is not the best. Rebuilding them will make them run ALOT cooler. Don't let anyone tell you they're junk or the IB's etc are any better. I've owned all the "recommended" packs and they're all about the same when bashing. If you decide to race then invest in higher end packs becuse you need that last .0001 amp. Otherwsie it's a waste of money. When On sale you can buy 3 or 4 of the 7 cell 4500's for about what you would pay for 1 of the 7 cell EP/ intellect packs.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:28 PM
losifiend

Thanks guys. After I posted this I was just about to get the individual cells because of the reasons stated by John.

I have a 6000mah MAxAmps Lipo that I have had for over a year and is still kicking out close to 9v but I was wanting to build some 8 cell packs with the Tenergy cells. I'll just be bashing with these cells and I was figuring for 16 cells would be about the same price as one 7 cell GP or IB pack. I was figuirng if I got the Red Tenergy lose cells and they only took 4000mah it would still give me a better run time than GP, or IB 3600 batteries. But I might just bite the bullet and get some Trinity or IB 8 cell packs.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i looked at the tenergy and asked a few people they said they're pretty good, but i ended up with some ep 4200 and an ib 3800 from a freind who had maybe 30 runs thru each, i got um for $30 each and i love um i can get about 15-20 min maybe more of full trottle bashing and they hold up really well and don't suddenly drop they're worth it if you can find um cheep,

rclugnut10
Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 AM
mmkain

ORIGINAL: john01374

Tenergy batteries work great for bashing. I have several of their packs and I love them. I run them in both my normal brushed cars and my VXL and MM5700 brushless car and trucks. That said here is my recommendation. If you are running brushed motors the stick packs are fine as assembled. If you are running brushless you should buy loose cells or rebuild the packs SxS with battery bars and good wire.. The cells are great but the construction is not the best. Rebuilding them will make them run ALOT cooler. Don't let anyone tell you they're junk or the IB's etc are any better. I've owned all the "recommended" packs and they're all about the same when bashing. If you decide to race then invest in higher end packs becuse you need that last .0001 amp. Otherwsie it's a waste of money. When On sale you can buy 3 or 4 of the 7 cell 4500's for about what you would pay for 1 of the 7 cell EP/ intellect packs.

forgot to say all my tenergy's have been the loose cells made into side by side packs
Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM
padams10001

i use a tenergy 3500 mah stick pack and i've had no problems whatsoever with it.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Cheezer

I have a Tenergy 7 cell 4200MAH. It has unbelievable power!!! You can feel the difference over other 7 cells. It runs great in my Slash! It never really held full capacity though, only 3500MAH. It stays there and has awesome power, so I like it.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:36 PM
smackymb101

Yeah I just left a message on an older thread but I agree. Ive had awsome luck with the tenergys and ive gotten 4000 mah out of my 4500s so thats not so bad . I just tossed my trinity matched packs in the woods last night because they were crap. I used them 4 times and junk. And by the way, I do beleive that Tenergy and Intellect are the same company. They are one of the biggest Distibutors for Making Batteries.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:37 PM
ohgrfreak

Intellect, as in Intellect Brothers? As in IB cells? I find that a little hard to believe.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Druss

I've used the tenergy packs and even the AA nimh batteries for my transmitter. no problems with either so far.