Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

can i use this to seal my new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Townsley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i use this to seal my new engine?

hey, i just ordered a new engine and got it yesterday. its a jammin jpx .21 i was wondering if i need to seal the carburator and the back plate. the carburator has a little black o-ring on it. i got some permatex blue rtv silicone gasket maker. should i use this to seal the carb and back plate? it doeasnt say anything about heat. it does say do not use on parts that are continously immersed in gasoline. im not sure if i should use this or not. [:-] anyone have any info? ive never sealed a engine before.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 PM
xfighter

Default RE: can i use this to seal my new engine?

yea it will work. as long as it is high temp sealent. but the the gas thing, it might just get aten away. it sould work on backblate tho. and carb.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:50 AM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can use it. Weather you need to or not is up to you. The fuel we use is methanol based and not "gas" so there is no problem there and since methanol runs at much cooler temps, you will be fine using it on the carb and backplate. If you start using it around the exhaust area you may want to try the copper high temp stuff. I've been using blue RTV to seal engines for decades. It is the preferred method.

You probably don't need it on the backplate and if the carb area leaks, it is usually around the draw-bar area. Many engines now come with an o-ring in the throat of the carb area, below the draw-bar. If that is the case, you probably don't need it there ether.

Bill
Old 07-05-2008, 08:18 AM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: wjvail

Yes you can use it. Weather you need to or not is up to you. The fuel we use is methanol based and not "gas" so there is no problem there and since methanol runs at much cooler temps, you will be fine using it on the carb and backplate. If you start using it around the exhaust area you may want to try the copper high temp stuff. I've been using blue RTV to seal engines for decades. It is the preferred method.

You probably don't need it on the backplate and if the carb area leaks, it is usually around the draw-bar area. Many engines now come with an o-ring in the throat of the carb area, below the draw-bar. If that is the case, you probably don't need it there ether.

Bill
I wouldn't trust an O-ring to seal it. (just ask supertib what happened when he didn't seal his sirio because it had a O-ring) RTV can't hurt (unless you just gob it on there.)
Old 07-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Townsley

cool, thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picco carbs can be problematic...the seam between the body and end bell will leak, use a thin beadof JB weld and seal it