Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier 94" Yak help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
davemilw07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lanier 94" Yak help

ORIGINAL: matfree

What to do about the baffle???? Well i got the bottom baffle set up just fine. Now we go to the top cowl area for the baffle and I am having trouble trying to make somthing work so i can take the cowl off with the mufflers on. So are you guys just cutting around the muffler all the way to the back of the cowl so you can just slip it on strait? Some help would be great!
Why not make a 2-piece upper and/or lower baffles??? The rear half would be fastened to the firewall, in back of and around the mufflers, and the front half attached to the inside of the cowl.......................
Old 07-01-2008, 02:46 PM
matfree

WELL I HAVE A BOTTOM PIECE SET UP LIKE 2ROBINHOODS. BUT WHEN YOU TAKE THE COWL OFF ITS REALLY TIGHT AND THE TOP HALF OF THE COWL HAS TO TOUCH THE TOP OF THE CRANK SHAFT WHEN U PUT IT ON OR TAKE IT OFF. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO MAKE A SET UP WHERE I CAN PUT A TOP BAFFLE ON AFTER THE COWL IS IN PLACE. JUST WAS WONDERING WHAT HE DID TO SECURE HIS TOP HALF BAFFLE.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:15 PM
2robinhood

My top baffle:
Made it like the bottom baffle. ( balsa )
I installed three blind nuts in some ply on back side of baffle and one in the center ( tell you about the center one later ).
I lay the baffle on top of the engine till I get the cowl on and mounted.
I then screw a bolt in the center blind nut and use it as a handle to hold and pull the baffle in position.
I then put the three main holding bolts through the face of the cowl and into the blind nuts.
Unscrew the center bolt used as a handle , put it in you tool box.
Top baffle is held in place by three bolts through the face of the cowl.
Baffle fits as tight as bottom baffle and you never even see the little bolt hole of the center handle bolt.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
2robinhood

Hey guys,
I cut the front half of my exploded wheel pants off and am going to use them as 1/4 pants like the full scale.
I'll make a plywood rail to connect to the landing gear and fill them with expanding foam.

What do ya think?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Hey, .. rather ingenious, .. should be unique! .. I like!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
matfree

could you send some pics of your baffle??
Old 07-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Doppelganger
My Feedback: (1)

This hangar 9 fiberglass pilot 35%-40% with a flip up visor fits really well with the size of the canopy!
Where did you get the instrument panel?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 AM
matfree

Here is the link for the instrument panel. I had to cut them out and just ca'd them. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXADL8
Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Doppelganger

Too cool! Thanks much.

Steve
Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
aaxiss

Well I forget who was asking for the pictures of my elevator mounted servos ..... your out of luck LOL, I tore the mounts out and covered the holes over today. I decided I would rather have the servos in the Fuse, I would rather put the stabs on and only have to put on one 1/4 4-40 nut then plug in the servo wire every time. I don't like the Idea of having to bunch up a lot of wire in the fuse and with lots of unplugging and such there is more chance for failure, I lopped off the plug and hardwired it to the extension.

Anyway I finished about 90 percent of the wiring today, only thing left is the ignition and the ailerons, switches, batteries, tail servos and receiver are all installed. now I just gotta wait another month to get my engine [:@]. Outta monies again hehe.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Mitsu1

Hey axxiss, I feel ya on bunching up a lot of wire in the fuse. Here's how I handled mine. I didn't want to have to bolt and unbolt linkages everytime I went flying, as this plane won't fit into any of my vehicles with the stabs on. There's no excess wire in my fuse. All is strung tightly through the fuse with just the amount shown in the pic extending. I glued a fabricated plastic frame to the outside of fuse, in direct alignment with the oval cutout that exists in the stab root rib. My wire is glued to the frame, so that little amount is there permanently. The only wire that's bunched up is the actual servo lead, and there is plenty room for it in the stab, but also restrictive enough that once the plug is connected it will nestle in there without a bunch of flopping around. I'm using the Gator Clips shown to connect the plugs and insure they won't detach. I love these things .. they attach in about a second, and they won't come off until you pry them off. There is no strain on the wires at all. They pry off quickly as well. So, attaching my stabs is as easy as plugging the connectors, snap on a saftey clip, slide it up, and bolt down the stabs to the fuse.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 PM
2robinhood

could you send some pics of your baffle??

Here are some picture of the baffles.
Sorry for you guys that aren't interested, because there are some pictures.
But, hopefully this will help some others.
Also, I will take any suggestion of something different and different ideas.
This is my 1st time doing any baffles.

Bottom baffle is balsa and fiberglassed in place in the cowl.

This is construction of the top baffle.
Made of balsa with ply backers for blind nuts.
Three outer blind nuts are the mounting bolts, small blind nut in the center is just for handing/lining up the baffle for mounting.
This is the back side veiw.

Side veiw, top baffle.

Front veiw, top baffle.

Top baffle with handling screw in.

I lay the top baffle on top of the engine.

I then slip the cowl on and mount it.
Note the three holes drilled in the upper face of the cowl.

Use the center handle screw to move top baffle into position and use three mounting bolts to secure into postion.

I put o-rings behind the head of the mounting bolts and painted the head red to blend in with the cowl.
When installed the mounting bolts are hardly visable and then take out the small handing screw from the center.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
2robinhood

I use fishing line to connect my extension together.
It's cheap.
It's strong.
It's easy.
It's lightweight.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Mitsu1

Fishing line? I was going to use dental floss and a drop of CA on my connectors that were permanent, but these clips are just so easy. I like the quick on - quick off these provide.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Man, you guys have made this bargain bird into a show-bird. Kudos to you guys.

My beat up bird, on the other hand, is ready for re-maiden. I have the DA-85 back from DA , it was re-sealed.

I cut the bottom of the cowl out almost completely. I re-straightened the landing gear in a vise....it is ugly, but almost straight!!!!

I beefed the all motor box joints , again. If I had the time , I would love to make mine as nice as yours, Mitsu. Nice job, I am a big fan of elevator mounted servos, the geometery is the big reason I love it. The convenience is the reward for the work.

Hopefully, I can get a few gallons through her , putting around breaking in the engine, this weekend.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Mitsu1

Well, .. I still haven't maidened mine. I had hoped to do that yesterday but I'm running a bit behind schedule and haven't finished the radio setup yet. Here are a few pics of where I am at. Got the graphics on it. Got the baffling finished. Helmet Head is the Precision Aerobatics 32-35% version, and the wheel pants are Hangar 9 Cap 232. It'll be a while before I can do more ... vacation time [8D]

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Mitsu1

Got to find a new photo host as mine has started compressing in a poor quality format.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72316.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	983788  
Old 07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Doppelganger

Best looking one I've seen to date. BTW, where do you buy your rcgf engines? I need a 50cc class engine.

Steve
Old 07-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Piston

Hey Steve

You can buy the RCGF engines from me.

www.zrcgf.com

That's me. I am the North American distributor for the line up. We are getting the new 50cc in stock next week.
Best regards

Henry

Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Ditto, I would be embarassed to put mine next to Mitsu's.

Mine is quite the ugly , beat-up duckling.

I am really interested in comments and perceptions on different CG Locations.

I have my CG just at the edge or a little forward of the trailing edge of the tube. It still needs a slight amount of up trim for level flight upright, flipped on it's lid, a slight push is needed. This location according to the specs is behind the rearmost recommended point.

I want it farther back still,. High speed KE takes almost full rudder. And it seems top heavy in a hover. I fly an EF and I can't stop comparing the two, although they are vastly differently shaped machines.

Upright full elevator, power on flat spins look great. It does them so easily , I could train someone to do the manuever on this bird.

With the this CG it drops down for landing like a trainer. Tail up landings, even dead stick, are a piece of cake.

My 85 is running cooler and better with the bottom gutted out of the cowl.

Batteries are charging up, and today will be more tune up.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Mitsu1

I haven't flown yet, but I'm wondering about the CG as well. I have two fairly hefty batteries in the recess just before the engine box and I'm balancing just aft of the 7 1/4" rearward range the manual gives. I noticed in 2robinhoods video he said he was having a time slowing the plane down enough to land like he wanted. I don't remember if he said where it balanced at, but a forward CG makes 'em want to come in a little hotter. (?) It sure didn't look like a forward CG though from what I remember. I'm inclined to believe the balance range in the book is safely forward without saying so.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 AM
2robinhood

Bosshossv8,
You say you have your CG just at the edge or a little forward of the trailing edge of the tube. That would be @ 8 1/2" back from the leading edge , right?

Mitsu1
You are @ 7 1/4" back from leading edge, Right?

I had mine set @7" from the leading edge for the maiden, but was thinking about 7 3/4" - 8" ( center of wing tube ) for the next few flight to see how that feels.

My wing tube is front edge is @ 7" and back edge is @ 8 1/2"

Manual says 6 7/8" to 7 1/4" Bosshossv8 is another 1 1/4" beyond that.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
aaxiss

are all you guys checking CG with empty tanks. ? I have a 50cc plane with a CG mounted fuel tank and cg checks are done dry with no adverse results. on this bird I plan to do them both wet and dry to check the difference.

Seems to me though that if you check CG with tank empty and then fill it up it's going to be nose heavy for the First part of the flight then settle into correct balance at the end ( tank empty ) . Once my DL 100 gets here I will work on balance and note any effect fuel has for sure.

BTW here are some more pics of my electronics install . Receiver, tail group servos , switch and external data/bind port done. Trying to keep it a bit clean. Also more pictures of last weekend. Right now I am going on the assumption that it will balance with the batteries in either of the 2 configurations you see. actually 3 configurations if you move just one battery to a rearward position. I think looking @2robinhood's setup his batteries are close to where mine are but mine are a bit heavier being A123. I only sealed the Front half of the bottom of the fuse . if I get a fuel leak I hope it's on the ground ( But I build my tanks bullet proof, Safety wire, barbs etc ) I also will have a couple small drain holes in front of each former from the first one back of the firewall to the front edge of the Turtledeck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89061.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	984457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52421.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	984458  
Old 07-05-2008, 02:39 PM
topper5
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

I haven't flown yet, but I'm wondering about the CG as well. I have two fairly hefty batteries in the recess just before the engine box and I'm balancing just aft of the 7 1/4" rearward range the manual gives. I noticed in 2robinhoods video he said he was having a time slowing the plane down enough to land like he wanted. I don't remember if he said where it balanced at, but a forward CG makes 'em want to come in a little hotter. (?) It sure didn't look like a forward CG though from what I remember. I'm inclined to believe the balance range in the book is safely forward without saying so.
very nice looking bird mitsu1,
my cg is 7 6/16" back, but i will be moving it back another 1/2" to 7 14/16" for tomorrow, my fuel tanks site right in the middle of the CG, my maiden flight resulted with no elevator trim, 1 click right aileron, a very nice flight, and she landed very nice and slow, my low idol was at 1,390 rpm before my flight and was at 1320 when i landed, and the rest of the day all my Renaults were comparable, you cant go wrong with the rear CG
Old 07-05-2008, 03:39 PM
2robinhood

I am doing my CG with tanks empty.
I put my tanks under the wing tube, hoping for little to no change as fuel and smoke burn off.
They are foward a little but not by much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.