Search
Notices

trim in HH??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 AM
cameltoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim in HH??

My raptor 30 wont point straight in FF or hover. ATM I have 3 clicked right and it seems alright the HS is 1850 in idle1. but I thought the gyro would keep it straight without needing to trim. I have adjusted the tail servo so the tail blades have about 4-5 degrees of pitch at mid point. I tried flying without trimming and it was a real nightmare especially inverted. just wondering thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 04:47 AM
gj1803

Default RE: trim in HH??

Hi Cameltoe,

Did you adjust the tail pitch mechanically with your heli and Tx switched on with the trim centred?

GJ
Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cameltoe

My raptor 30 wont point straight in FF or hover. ATM I have 3 clicked right and it seems alright the HS is 1850 in idle1. but I thought the gyro would keep it straight without needing to trim. I have adjusted the tail servo so the tail blades have about 4-5 degrees of pitch at mid point. I tried flying without trimming and it was a real nightmare especially inverted. just wondering thanks
What gyro is it? Some gyros accept trim to arrest drifting tendencies. Some gyros cannot tolerate trim. Without knowing the brand and model of the gyro, nobody can tell you anything useful.

Adjusting the gyro in normal mode as indicated above is a good place to start.

Rafael
Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Ditto that.

Adding rudder trim shuts off heading hold mode on most gyros, because it thinks you are trying to turn.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Skarn

A lot of gyro's like the 401, you can add trim after it initializes, but it's not advisable since once you power it off and then reinitialize, it will think that is the new center point and the trim will be null and void.

It is best to set it up with the slider centered in HH mode...it should not drift. If it does, there are other issues.

Skarn
Old 07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If you add transmitter trim after it initializes it will take it as a command to turn.

If you do it then re-init, that trimmed position becomes your neutral point.

But........what gyro are we talking about, some can't be trimmed, some have to be, the point is moot till we find out which one
Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
cameltoe

sorry 401. I have tail pitch slider centered at 4.5mm out with trims centre. I do know that trim will act like a turn command but this is the only way it stops turning, also gain is 75. as a side note it doesnt do it in normal with HS around 1550. could it just be the torque??
Old 07-08-2008, 05:05 PM
cameltoe

and another thing is when pitch is applied it sometimes swings up to 30degrees to the right. ive grown use to that but it shouldnt do that right?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:29 PM
tippy

cameltoe:: sorry 401 ... as a side note it doesnt do it in normal with HS around 1550. could it just be the torque??
Are you running 1550 in HH mode too?
Typical beginners RPM for a Raptor30 is around 1600-1650. You might be seeing the affects of low tail authority. Lower RPM in RATE (normal) mode has less affect because the gyro is not constantly adjusting the servo to achieve a precise YAW rate. In HH mode, tail authority is more critical because if the tail is sluggish, the gyro can out perform the heli and end up over correcting or the correction is delayed ( " ...when pitch is applied it sometimes swings up to 30degrees to the right... " ).

All else seeming OK ... bump up the RPM to maybe around 1650-1700 (for starters) and see if the tail responds a little better.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 PM
cameltoe

I meant 1550 in Normal... ie not idle1. In Idle1 Im currently running 1850RPM with GV1 gov. I had a fiddle with it a few hours ago and wound it down to 1760 and its keeping straight in FF and for some reason its not swinging with increase in pitch.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 AM
BarracudaHockey

Sounds to me like you don't have enough gain.

How far out is the ball mounted on the servo arm and what is the limit pot on the gyro set to?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:23 AM
cameltoe

i dont have the heli with me Il have a look tomorrow, but I have gain set at 80% in normal(no waging at all) and 70% in idle1. that brings me to another point, The tail wags in idle1 with 70% but not 80% ib normal. I figured thats just the extra vib from increase RPM but I have had the gain as low as 60% with a lil tiny wag. There is definately no slop in the tail and I have a aluminium tail upgrade as well. thats not my concern just the gyro swing problem. I have read on raptortechnique that the OS hyper puts out enough torque to to swing the tail around even with the best gyro on. So may I be so bold as to ask if a 30 has enough torque to do that??? thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 AM
BarracudaHockey

You can slam mine with full collective and it will jump off the ground like a jack rabbit and the tail will stay put if its set up correctly.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:00 PM
cameltoe

[]im stumped then