Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Trx 2.5 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Notgwb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trx 2.5 issues

I've had a Trx 2.5 that I have been running in a Nitro Rustler (1/10 stadium truck) for almost two years now. If I had to guess I would say that the engine has had around three gallons of Byron fuel through it. The three gallons have always been Byron 20% gen one.

The last time I remember running the engine was in Florida (I live and regularly run the engine in Georgia) near the beach and it was running perfectly. When I say perfectly I mean a thin trail of blue smoke, no bogging at low/med/high range. I have been using a CVEC .12-.15 tune pipe on the 2/4 baffle setting.

About a month later I take the said engine out of the N. Rustler and put it into a T-Maxx. I put the factory stock plastic pipe that normally comes with 2.5 T-Maxxes and I could not get it to start at all. I put the CVEC back on the Maxx and it would start fine but it would have a low end bog. I would have to gently ease the truck up to speed with no more than 1/8 throttle. Anymore and the truck would shut off. You could definitely hear the bog and it would eventually go away mid-high range but it would always come back on the low range.

I tried new glow plugs (Megatech Q-Series (I've always used them)) and factory settings and that still didn't help. I eventually took the engine out and put it back in my Nitro Rustler and took it down to the beach in South Carolina. I'm still having the same issues.

I bought some brand new Byron gen two 20% and it didn't make a difference in terms of engine problems.
I've tried changing the baffle settings on the CVEC and even removing the spring/baffle/cotter pin assembly and running that with no avail. New fuel tubing didn't help. I've also tried using more tubing going from the tank to the pipe and new glow plugs and that didn't help either. I've cleaned the air filter and that didn't help either. I've removed the fuel filter and that didn't help either.

I'm currently running the engine at five turns out HSN. The recommended factory settings are three to four turns out. I've tried leaning the engine and that seems to make things worse (It wouldn't start or stay running)

Occasionally I would have to leave the igniter on the engine for maybe a minute or two because it would cut off if the igniter was removed immediately.

I have no problem if the engine turns out being shot because it has been one of the best engines I've owned. It would start on the first seconds of pushing the the button and it would run strong.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 AM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Trx 2.5 issues

try blowing through the lines going into the carb. you may have some old fuel stuck in the needles.

also how is the compression?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Notgwb
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Trx 2.5 issues

/bump

I would also like to add that when the fuel level gets to a certain point (3/4 full) the car shuts off.